IGNORED

New CT inflation info

slick97spirit

Since I've been mulling over going "Dark" next tire change, I've been asking around about seating the beads. I spoke to one of the techs at a local shop who'll mount a CT for me (if I sign a waiver) and asked what kind of pressure he's seen while seating the tires. Needless to say, I was shocked when he says he gets them to seat @ 40-45 psi with a good lube.

I asked how he was able to do that and told him about the 100+ psi horror stories I've heard about on here.

He said the trick was to remove the valve stem because the stem only allows the air in at a much slower rate. He said by taking the stem out, and hitting it with pressure, the quicker rate of inflation makes it seat easier, quicker, and better.

I've not seen it happen, just passing along the info. Hope it helps.

He said the trick was to remove the valve stem because the stem only allows the air in at a much slower rate. He said by taking the stem out, and hitting it with pressure, the quicker rate of inflation makes it seat easier, quicker, and better.

I've not seen it happen, just passing along the info. Hope it helps.

My question would be how does he get the valve stem back in without busting the tire back down....?? Maybe I'm missing something here???

Guest human4m

When I used to do car tires at Buffalo Tire, we had a few guys come in from time to time to go darkside. We used a bead blaster to seat the tires. We'd lube 'em up really good, and bring a compressed air tank over with a REALLY high release rate, and BOOM! Tire would seat at about 40psi.

After he seats the beads he just allows the tire to deflate. He then puts the valve core in and airs it back up.

Once you seat the beads, allow it to deflate doesn't hurt anything. It will not unseat.

Is there some sort of new style stem that you can install from the outside I'm not aware of?? All the stems I've seen so far have to go in from the inside, hense the question about having to get the tire busted back down... on one side at least.

Is there some sort of new style stem that you can install from the outside I'm not aware of?? All the stems I've seen so far have to go in from the inside, hense the question about having to get the tire busted back down... on one side at least.

Maybe he miss-identified the valve core as "stem"...:think:

I want to say something here, even if this is the Darksiders forum. For those of you that have talked about seating a CT with 100 lbs of air, you obviously have NEVER seen a tire blow up. There are many tricks to get a tire to seat without using 100 lbs of air. A spotlessly clean rim is the biggest deal to get it to slide up on the rim. A very minute piece of crap on a rim will incumber the tire sliding up on it. Lubing it up VERY liberally will also make the transition better.

I have managed a tire store in the past and have had many tough tire installs. I have NEVER used over 50 lbs of air to seat a tire on anything. Removing the valve core is the best way to fill a tire. If I can't get the tire to seat with 50 lbs of air I let all the air out and try it over again. I may have to do this 3 or 4 times but everytime you stretch that tire a bit more and it will seat over. I'm saying this because I dont want to see anyone here kill themselves to install a CT on their rim. Use common sence and be educated on how to install this mod properly, I can tell you this, an exploding tire will take your head off...PERIOD

:rant:

I can tell you this, an exploding tire will take your head off...PERIOD :rant:

That's why I paid to have mine done.:2133:

I do agree the high inflation is probably not good....though, I have often thought about the pressure once the tire is on a car screeching around a corner with 6 people in it would be?

Is there really a difference????I am not so sure.

I want to say something here, even if this is the Darksiders forum. For those of you that have talked about seating a CT with 100 lbs of air, you obviously have NEVER seen a tire blow up. There are many tricks to get a tire to seat without using 100 lbs of air. A spotlessly clean rim is the biggest deal to get it to slide up on the rim. A very minute piece of crap on a rim will incumber the tire sliding up on it. Lubing it up VERY liberally will also make the transition better.

I have managed a tire store in the past and have had many tough tire installs. I have NEVER used over 50 lbs of air to seat a tire on anything. Removing the valve core is the best way to fill a tire. If I can't get the tire to seat with 50 lbs of air I let all the air out and try it over again. I may have to do this 3 or 4 times but everytime you stretch that tire a bit more and it will seat over. I'm saying this because I dont want to see anyone here kill themselves to install a CT on their rim. Use common sence and be educated on how to install this mod properly, I can tell you this, an exploding tire will take your head off...PERIOD

:rant:

Squid,

I agree. Inflating a tire that's supposed to max out at 36 psi to over 100 psi can't be good for it. Something inside that thing's got to give. That's why I posted this as I felt it was good info for the darksiders to have.

hi all

i have mounted 2 c/t so far and they have both been over 100 psi. flab 78 & squidley had stated that the wheel should be very clean. i concure with this thought. but my two tires have seated only after 125 psi, i have mounted one tire by my self. the other had to have a bead blaster to seat it. but as always be safe. reguards

don c. l

For those of you that have talked about seating a CT with 100 lbs of air, you obviously have NEVER seen a tire blow up.

Ive seen lots of tires blow up. I worked in a truckstop for 9 years. You should get about 70psi of air in a semi tire and have it let loose!! Rattles the windows in the entire building and the air pressure push knocks the air out of you if you're within a 10 foot radius.

My first BFG set the bead at around 40psi. The Federal tire popped while trying to seat the beads. A tire shop mounted that one up for me. The tire/wheel assembly jumped about 15 feet in the air when it let loose. The Kuhmo held over 120psi.

I used a clip on chuck and a 50 foot hose once the pressure got above 50psi and set the tire outside.

[/center]

Ive seen lots of tires blow up. I worked in a truckstop for 9 years. You should get about 70psi of air in a semi tire and have it let loose!! Rattles the windows in the entire building and the air pressure push knocks the air out of you if you're within a 10 foot radius.

My first BFG set the bead at around 40psi. The Federal tire popped while trying to seat the beads. A tire shop mounted that one up for me. The tire/wheel assembly jumped about 15 feet in the air when it let loose. The Kuhmo held over 120psi.

I used a clip on chuck and a 50 foot hose once the pressure got above 50psi and set the tire outside.

Like I have mentioned before, I dont want anyone to not try this, but I definitely want folks to know the outcome of a bad situation and plan for it. I have seen tires let go also, tire cages are a 1 time deal as when a tire goes incased in 1 the cage is junk afterwards. Like you mentioned the wheel jumped 15 feet, that will take a persons head off. The 50 ft hose is how we used to fill our helo tires up, standing at a 45 degree angle to the valve stem...just incase it did let go.

I just want folks to be safe when they do this incase they aren't having a tire shop do this for them. I dont want anyone thinking I'm bashing this process about using a C/T, just be safe and live to ride another day

:happy34: