IGNORED

Michelin Commander Tires

Phoenix

In the market for a new rear tire and was curious if anyone has had any experience with the Michelin Commanders.

Looking for how many miles you got out of them and how they handled on wet roads.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Phoenix

Additional question - can anyone advise on the new tread depth? Michelin doesn't post their tire specs on their website.

Edited by Phoenix

I had a set on my '99 and loved them, I know Freebird has run them also and was very pleased with them. They are only 2nd to Avon Venoms in my opinion. I got about 13K out of the tires before a spike took the rear tire out and totalled the bike. I'd buy another set in a second and not think twice about it

:2cents:

In the market for a new rear tire and was curious if anyone has had any experience with the Michelin Commanders.

Looking for how many miles you got out of them and how they handled on wet roads.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Phoenix

Our last set of tires were Michelin Commanders. These were the best wearing tires so far on our bike and I’d rate the dry and wet traction as excellent. We got approximately 11,000 miles on the rear tire and 14,000 miles on the front. :cool10:

Trying Dunlop Elite 3’s now...

I'm running a set of Michelin Commanders on the bike now. So far I have nearly 3K on them and they look like new.

As for wet weather traction they are far superior to the Dunlop 404's I had previously. A few weeks ago I rode 6 hours in pouring rain up to Vermont at speeds up to 70mph and had NO issues with traction whatsoever. They handled the Vermont twisties with ease as well.

Don't know how many miles I will get out of them but so far so good!!

Boomer.......who's still hankering to go to the Darkside.

Thanks for the replies, to date. Keep those cards and letters coming - the information is quite helpful.

I'm using the feedback to decide between the following 4:

Avon Venoms

Dunlop E3's

Michelin Commanders

Continental Milestones

Thanks again,

Phoenix

destroyed a set of avons in 2300 miles in 5 day trip to deals gap tail of the dragon, they damn near killed me n the mrs. when the rear tire blew out before i could make it home.

will never Ever see a set of avon venom tires on a bike of mine again.

i own 8 bikes and a car and truck at the moment, they all have michelins.

mike

For those who have the Commanders, what is the tread depth on a new Commander. Michelin has a pretty lame website and they don't post their tire specs.

Thanks,

Phoenix

UPDATE: I stopped by a local MC dealership and found a Michelin Commander on the shelf. The new tread depth is 10/32.

Edited by Phoenix
Added information

• 2 weeks later...

I have the commanders on mine and love them. Put both on with 16000 miles, went down at 20000 miles and they now have 24000 miles and still look pretty new. Have been pulling a trailer for about the last 3000 miles and you can see some wear in the middle, but not much. Wet weather handling is great.

I have the commanders on mine and love them. Put both on with 16000 miles, went down at 20000 miles and they now have 24000 miles and still look pretty new. Have been pulling a trailer for about the last 3000 miles and you can see some wear in the middle, but not much. Wet weather handling is great.

On your Michelins riding 2 up, what psi do you have on your rear? Just curious.

I've been giving the Commanders a thought lately. Might try a set when the AVONs get skinny. Why. I just don't buy the explaination from AVON that the sidewall checking is not very common, and not to worry about a little cracking as long it's slight. So far I haven't had a problem with the tires, or the factory warantee service, but I just don't need to be checking the tire everytime I roll out the driveway. My third AVON on the front of the '83 is starting to show checking again, but it performed OK in Cody.

• 4 years later...
Hi Bert,

Thanks

for the reply, did you notice any difference after changing size & who knows who has best prices? So far, I found JP cycles to be lowest, anyone have any dealings with them?

Try Jake Wilson or Motorcycle Superstore.