IGNORED

Vibration problem

Ok I thought I could fix it myself, so I kept putting off asking here.

I've developed a vibration in my '05 RSTD. I can feel it in the grips, the tank and the floorboards. I asked for help syncing the carbs and was helped by Ken (slick97spirit). He was nice enough to do it for me and show me how to do it.

It seemed better for a few days, and the got worse again. I bought my own carb sync tool and have checked it a few times. They are still in sync. I changed the oil, I have new tires, changed the plugs, and have checked for anything loose on the bike. It definitely feels like it's in the engine, and only does it a certain RPMs for instance in 3rd at about 40 to 55 MPH.

I have also ran some Sea Foam through it a time or two. It only has about 10K on it and at this point I'm ready for any suggestions I can get. I'm not a mechanic, but I can do whatever needs to be done.

I am back riding after a 20 year hiatus, and I'm probably overlooking something simple.

TIA, Jim

Edited by eazyduzzit
Situation changed

Jim,

I had the same problem last year, it just started all of a suden on our way home from S.Tx... Vance was kind enough to invite me to his home and sync my carbs for me, that helped take out around 75% of it, but it is still there, like you I have checked all that I can think of, but have grown used to it now, so don`t even think about it much. I am wondering if maybe a coil is flaking out at certain RPMs and if so, would that cause this problem?? I don`t know:confused24: I am sure others with much more knowlege of these bikes will speak up and help us out... let us know if you find what is the cause and fix for the problem..

Kreg

Mine too. I have a vibration in 4th and 5th gear when I accelerate from about 3000 rpm. Hasn't always been there. I can be cruising along at 60 mph with the cruise control engaged and come to a slight grade and when the throttle rolls on I really feel it. I've changed the plugs and confirmed the carb synch. Tuesday it goes to the dealer for repair.

Dennis

Thread HIJACK WARNING.....HIJACK in progress!!!

Hey Ken, did you drill out the baffle in your mufflers?? Gotta know....

Joe

Putting in motorkote as we speak......after that the drill comes out. Just can't decide if I want to drill a couple of small holes in them or go ahead and take them all the way out with the hole saw.

:fingers-crossed-emo

I changed the plugs,

I bought my own carb sync tool and have checked it a few times. They are still in sync. I changed the oil, I have new tires, and have checked for anything loose on the bike.

I also spayed a mist of water on the header pipes after I had ridden a few miles to see if all 4 were hot. I got steam at all 4.

No, it's not a whine, it's a vibration. I am familiar with the whine. I test road a couple of RSTDs before I found one without the whine.

This is a vibration you can feel in the bars and the floorboards.

Ok, sounds like you have covered almost all the bases. Assuming that everything else is fine on your bike (Steering head tightness, wheel bolts, checked for proper torque on every nuts and bolts you can get your tool on) until you check and/or replace plugs...etc., have you looked at your front forks? What is the air pressure in them? (This may be a stupid question) --> How about the road, it probably is rough enough that you feel some vibration on your handle bars. :confused:

i have that kinda slight numing vib at about 70-80. When i was rebuilding the bike after it was totaled one of my dog bone bolts would not align. I am thinking that is my problem with the vib's so you might check out you engine dog bones and make sure they are torqued down.

i have that kinda slight numing vib at about 70-80. When i was rebuilding the bike after it was totaled one of my dog bone bolts would not align. I am thinking that is my problem with the vib's so you might check out you engine dog bones and make sure they are torqued down.

+1 on the dog bones. However, easyduzzit stated that he already checked all bolts for proper torque. The Venture should be nice and smooth at 80 mph.

These bikes run so well even on three cylanders, its hard to tell. Plugs would be my next move.:2cents:

I beg to differ, I have a coil going bad and when it drops out it is very noticeable. Not only with the power drop but also a raw fuel smell. No offense intended.

I will say this, I have a buzz at 70 that makes my fingers go numb after an hour or so of riding at that speed. I have had the bike 2.5 years and it has always been there.

Someone mentioned the valves and I may just look into adjusting them. Can't afford to have the shop do it though. I have the technical ability it's just getting the time to do it. I have over 102,000 miles on it and it had 40,000 on it when I bought it and I have no idea if the valves were ever adjusted.

I had that bee-buzz vibration about 2 years ago. Based on a tip from a rider on the Venturers forum, I synched my carbs at 1500 rpm instead of 1000 rpm, since that is closer to my cruising rpm's. That fixed it. Soooo, try synching your carbs at a higher rpms and see if that fixes the problem. My buzz was kicking in right at about 2400. Go higher or lower and it went away. You should be able to reproduce the buzz with the bike on the kick stand. Lightly touch your rear crash bars with the back of your fingers as you increase the rpms. You will be able to identify when it kicks in. Keep in creasing slowly and you will be able to determine its limits.

Another person's tip for determining what rpm's to synch your carbs at was to synch at the rpm that is halfway between the 1000 rpm idle and your highest or routine cruising rpm's.

Hope this is helpful.

Phoenix

Is it not still in the 5 year warranty?

That's a good question. I don't know, truth is I don't think I trust dealerships enough to work on it. I haven't seen many of this kind of bike in the area, and I would want someone who has worked on this particular engine enough to know a little about it before I would trust mine to them.

That's the reason I posted it here. I know there are thousands of people here withis engine, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's had this problem.

Well, I don't understand it but on the way home from work yesterday I didn't notice the vibration. When I got home my new air filters were on the porch where the UPS man had left them. I changed them out and put on my newly reworked seat which I also got on UPS from Rick.

I went for about a 20 mile ride and I'm in love again. I don't know what I did, but the vibration is gone. I would say it was the air filters, but I noticed it gone before I changed them. :puzzled: