IGNORED

Beefier springs, fork oil change, and steering head lubed!

1joeranger

Finally was time to change out my front tire. I had waited as long as I could for someone to do a write up on changing the fork oil. No luck! So after consulting Rick Butler and learning a lot, through him, about springs and what my particular bike, 05' RSTD, might need I dove in.

Changed the fork oil using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-507141.html. I came across this after not being able to find synthetic 10w at the mc shop. Besides I'm partial to Mobil 1!

Re packed the steering head bearings. Was gonna install a zerk (greese) fitting http://www.gadgetjq.com/harpo_steeringlube.htm but after seeing the big void plus the hole inside the tube decided that was truly a waste of good Honda Poly and abandoned that task.

Installed new springs from Sonic Springs http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/product_reviews.php?cPath=27_117&products_id=347&osCsid=0a06f0a4aa631489ed84cc17fad8f92d. Learned thru Rick and also Rich Desmond, from Sonic Springs, how to pre - load a spring and how obtain the the correct amount of fork oil.

Installed new front tire. http://www.jakewilson.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Motorcycle+Tires&webCatId=57&navType=type&webTypeId=443&prodFamilyId=22916&listingId=&sizeAttr=5289 Mounting of that tire, along with the dyna beads, was the only thing I did not do myself!

My thoughts:

• Love the new heavy duty springs. My bike no longer nose dives when brakes are applied!
  • The steering stem nut takes a 27mm socket. 2 trips to the store to figure that one out. Could not find the size in the manual, on line, or in any thread I researched.
  • Oh so thankful that I don't have a fairing!!!
  • Should remove gas tank next time. Moving the handle bar around got hairy sometimes.
  • Took 2 days. Have to let the old oil drain overnight!
  • Glad I had Rick to hold my hand otherwise this wanna be mc mechanic would have screwed up.
  • Sonic Springs really stepped up to the plate and responded quickly to my questions and concerns

Once again a very special thank you Rick Butler!!!!

You are more than welcome Ray,

Glad I could help. I still remember screwing up my first fork job and having to redo it later. It really helps to have someone that has already been there.

And you are so fortunate that you don't have a fairing. Those of us who have RSVs really have to deal with "What to do with the fairing to get it out of the way". In fact I installed an eye bolt in my shop ceiling to suspend the fairing and handlebars to get them up out of the way (see attached picture). And using adjustable tie down straps really make it easy to hook them up and lift em up and out of the way.

So enjoy your new forks,

Rick

Really like the eyebolt idea! Even though I did not have a fairing, thank God, the handlebars were constantly in the way. Also next time I will remove the tank. The towel over was ok. But I tip toed around disaster a few times!

I would have screwed up the oil level if I had not checked with you, Rick! The turkey baster was the perfect solution!!

Thanks again!!

I did the same thing this spring. put the 1.2 sonic springs in. Did you get 2 pcs of the grey pipe? You need 2 pcs of the pipe for loading. Mine came with 1 and I had to go to the HD and buy a 10 footer. I gave Sonic a heads up. They told me they would be shipping 2 pcs from then on, just wondering if you got the 2 or not.

Big ride difference with the 1.2 springs, love them.

Actually I got 0!!! All this talk about spacers but no material. Rich Desmond from Sonic Springs was quick to respond to my concerns and explain what spacers were. I ran down to Lowe's and purchased 5' piece of Schedule 40 pvc, the "spacers". Sonic even reimbursed me for my troubles. They responded promply and professional causing me very little inconvenience! I rather got the impression that someone at Sonic was getting their whatfor chewed out!!!

Yhea, I can really tell a difference in my beefed up springs! Definitely a great investment!!!