IGNORED

Leaf lookers weekend in Wisconsin?

bryan52577

Hello all you leaf lookers out there. "And ones that just want to go for a ride in some beautiful SW Wisconsin roads." :sign woo hoo:

Here is the low down, Ken (AKA 920Shrek1), Lisa and I were in La Crosse, WI last weekend for the Midwest Motorcycle Rally. We road a bunch of roads with GREAT valley and bluff views. :photographing: When we stopped for the night over dinner we thought how great it would be to see some of these same roads / valleys and bluffs in the fall. :lightbulb:

The "Crooked River Resort" just south of Reedstown, WI, "in the beautiful Kickapoo valley", has 19 rooms and a few cabins. Room rates would be $65 a night and Cabins would very in cost depending on occupancy. The restaurant is open and even has a "beer / wine" bar. I talked with Susan "the owner and she seems like a real nice lady," she says that they are very "biker" friendly and just had the whole 19 rooms rented out to a bunch from Minnesota this past weekend. I asked when she thought the best time for "leaf look-in" would be and she thought the first or second week of October .

So, Ken, Lisa and little old me thought we would just see if any others would be interested? Thinking of getting there Thursday afternoon, Ride on Friday and again on Saturday and then back to home on Sunday. Lisa and I may rent a cabin so we could all sit and have a beer or 10 around a nice warm fire after the days ride. :beer: :thumbsup2:

Check out the link I posted and let us know if anyone else would be interested and which weekend 7th to 10th or 14th to 17th. I can get a block of rooms and such if needed. :confused24:

Ride safe and have some fun out there,

Bryan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the beds there are reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal comfy!!!

Well Deb, hope you and Gary can make it. :beer: Like to see Scooter Bob and Ceiling there too. :thumbsup2: Along with many more from the tri-state area, or more.

Could make it a Meet & Eat & Ride and BS and sleep and ride and,,,,,,,, OH heck I think Leaf-looker weekend will work! :thumbsup2: Easyer to type anyway. :whistling:

Bryan

We will plan on it as we usually head over there several weekends in a row to make sure we hit "peak leaf" weekend.....

There were 26 people in the bunch that stayed there last weekend. They were from Mankato, Mn.

Susan and her husband are really nice!

Well looks like the plan is going to be for October 7th to the 10th.

(With the 7th and 10th as ride days to and from Readstown, WI)

If anyone wants to follow us on the 8th and 9th that is fine. :thumbsup2: It's not going to be a race just a nice casual ride with stops and picture taking. :photographing: Ken says he is going to lead at least one day, and ride up to Mindoro pass and Gran-dads Bluff, (two very cool places, with good roads and over-looks). :sign woo hoo:

If you just want to ride your own roads that is cool too. :thumbsup2:

I'm going to try to get a cabin and anyone that wants to come "even for a day" can sit by a camp fire after the ride and BS a little. :whistling:

Bryan

Edited by bryan52577

Had an AWESOME time riding with Bryan and lisa last weekend in the LaCrosse area. can't wait to do it again.(((here's your sign Bryan))) Have been studying the Wi. GAZZETTE to find some really nice roads to go thur MINDORO PASS and up to GRANDS BUFF in lacrosse. Deb & Gary really hope you can make it would like to ride & (park the bikes) and sit around the camp fire & drink some beer with ya all again. P.S hey Byran give something to Lisa for me...IT"S a RED ONE HEEEEEEEEE icon7.gif

I was going to book a cabin or room, but the phone number on their website has been disconnected. I also had a number for them on my cell from when we use to stay there. That one doesn't work either.

Do you have a current number where they can be reached?

Thanks

Deb

I have it maked on my calendar. We'll have to see what October brings us here. But the one thing for sure is that these are the roads I ride in the summer if I just take off for a day ride. Between Sauk City and LaCrosse are some great roads.

I'll try and make it for a day or two.

Steve

I was going to book a cabin or room, but the phone number on their website has been disconnected. I also had a number for them on my cell from when we use to stay there. That one doesn't work either.

Do you have a current number where they can be reached?

Thanks

Deb

Deb, I ran into the same problem last night. I will check it out, kind of has me worried now. I know it was for sale? who knows?

Bryan

Bryan,

I posted this on another thread a few weeks ago.....Here's just a few places in the area that Gary and I go to.....

...........Once you get down to Victory...you have to spend a day in over at the Kickapoo Reserve area riding backroads. Wild Cat Mountain State Park has some beautiful roads surrounding the Park. If you go east of Wild Cat...on highway 33 there is a barn that's been made into a bar. It's called the "Bull Pen Bar & Grill) It's really funky. Anywhere in Vernon County is a nice ride! they also have alphabet roads.

Also, you have to go on Sunday to Rockton for their Barbequed Chicken. Hundreds if not thousands of bikes show up there on Sunday's at noon. It's really fun!http://www.rocktonbar.com

At Soldiers Grove, we always stay at the Country Garden's because the food is terrific, rooms are cheap and the manager Marcie is great! It's a bar and grill with motel on top. If you stop there...you have to order the Bourbon Pork Tenderloins. It's an appetizer that will feed a lot and it's scrumptious. They also have homeade pizza and it's great. They don't have a website but jusk ask anyone in town where it's at.

We found a new place out in the middle of nowhere this time close to Viroqua. It's on Norwegian Hollow Road and it's a bar/rest named Norwegian Hollow. The riding is really pretty and the bar is really nice. All the "xxxx Hollow" roads are really pretty riding in this area too!http://www.norwegianhollow.com

There is also Vernon Vineyards which is out in the country near Viroqua, which is one of the prettiest vineyards we've been to! Free tastings.http://www.vernonvineyards.com

I could go on and on....we love it over in that area....

If you go farther south....you have to hit New Diggings.http://www.newdiggs.com

It's also out in the middle of nowwhere.

If you go to Dubuque you have to ride this...

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:BaI1U_yLnfNQiM::graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/08/19/travel/18road2_lg.jpg&h=78&w=112&usg=__wIvk7Enn-fBFEsx7mitHeiJTlcc=It's the Fenelon Place Elevator....it costs $1.00 per person and it's a howl!

Coming from Iowa, I can say this......there are a lot of gravel roads and not much blacktop in Iowa. That's why we always head to Wisconsin.....

If you like being in bigger towns and large crowds...ignore this whole post because these places are where the hubby and I like to ride. Away from large city's, ton's of people and lot's of vehicles.

I could go on and on, but your going to have fun no matter where you ride

Deb, I ran into the same problem last night. I will check it out, kind of has me worried now. I know it was for sale? who knows?

Bryan

It's been for sale for over a year....don't worry about it though...they are still open. Another great place to stay is 4 miles down the road in Soldiers Grove at the Country Gardens. Motel is on top of the bar/pub and they have fantastic food. We switched from staying at Kickapoo Corners to Country Gardens only because the rooms are less expensive and we could have a few brewskies in the bar and walk right up to our room.

OK, Susan at the "Crooked River Resort" said they had a short in their phones and did not know it. :yikes: Got it fixed and all is good now! :thumbsup2:

(UPDATE, KEN CALLED ME AND SAID THE # STILL DOES NOT WORK. I GOT THROUGH ON THE 608-629-9999 LINE. TRY IT. :confused24:)

Got our reservation made for the Wildwood cabin for the 7th to the 10th. She said they had rooms at the motel and a couple other cabins available too.:clap2:

Yes I know it's early but......... :confused24: What the heck! :sign woo hoo:

See you all there, I can't wait! :sign woo hoo: :beer: :beer: :banana:

Bryan

Edited by bryan52577

. P.S hey Byran give something to Lisa for me...IT"S a RED ONE HEEEEEEEEE icon7.gif

Ken,

Lisa got a kick out of that! :rotfl: But I don't want to be in your shoes now! :buttkick: You're on your own now Buddy!! :stickpoke: :whistling: She is as quick witted as you! :witch_brew: She got the "Here's your sign" right off and was laughing her a$$ off. Took me a couple of um seconds. :confused07:

I'm the slow one. :whistling:

Bryan

Bryan

I have it maked on my calendar. We'll have to see what October brings us here. But the one thing for sure is that these are the roads I ride in the summer if I just take off for a day ride. Between Sauk City and LaCrosse are some great roads.

I'll try and make it for a day or two.

Steve

Steve,

Hope you can make it. Only an hour or so from your house, I think. Ken, Lisa and I went through Sauk City just last weekend. They were having the MDS ride going on. BIG ride lots of bikes!

Bryan

Edited by bryan52577

• 3 weeks later...

[

Bryan

OK I am a newbie to the board but my wife (Shirley) and I would like to join in. We can't be there till friday night but we would like to ride Saturday with you all and if someone twisted my arm we would hang out for some beers then on Saturday Night.

If that's ok with everyone. We would probably find a campground close and hang there for sleeping.

Rick

[

Bryan

OK I am a newbie to the board but my wife (Shirley) and I would like to join in. We can't be there till friday night but we would like to ride Saturday with you all and if someone twisted my arm we would hang out for some beers then on Saturday Night.

If that's ok with everyone. We would probably find a campground close and hang there for sleeping.

Rick

Rick,

You and your wife are more than welcome to stop in for how ever long you can. :thumbsup2: Crooked river resort is also a camp ground. (May be a bit cold for tenting? :confused07: But good cuddling weather! :whistling:) And the motel is not a bad price either.

I know we will have Bush light beer for me, and some sort of "dark" beer for Lisa. And a camp fire to warm up from the days chills and to BS and tell jokes beside.

So just show up when you can and stay as long as you can tolerate us:stickpoke:.

Bryan

Like to see Scooter Bob and Ceiling there too. :thumbsup2: Along with many more from the tri-state area, or more.

We're working on it. Karen is trying to switch weekends at the bank. We should know in a few days.

Are there plenty of rooms there yet?:confused24:

If we can go, we'll ride over Friday night, enjoy some cocktails:beersign: and BSin',

enjoy some leisurely puttin' on Sat, :thumbsup2:

enjoy some more cocktails:beersign: and BSin' on Sat night,

and head home Sunday.:(

Hope to see you all there, Scooter Bob and Karen

and ride up to Mindoro pass

Been there.:sign kewl:

Karen has a piece of sandstone from there in here knick knack shelf. She's always on the lookout for the no cost keepsakes from our trip.:thumbsup2:

There's a piece of driftwood in there too, from the Iowa side landing of the Cassville ferry.:D

Later, Scooter Bob

We're working on it. Karen is trying to switch weekends at the bank. We should know in a few days.

Are there plenty of rooms there yet?:confused24:

If we can go, we'll ride over Friday night, enjoy some cocktails:beersign: and BSin',

enjoy some leisurely puttin' on Sat, :thumbsup2:

enjoy some more cocktails:beersign: and BSin' on Sat night,

and head home Sunday.:(

Hope to see you all there, Scooter Bob and Karen

Bob,

As of Wednesday there were rooms at the motel, camp sites and one cabin left. :thumbsup2:

Hope you and Karen can make it, Rick and his wife Shirley said they could not make it till Friday night also. And there may be a few others that way.

But that's all good, cause the Wisconsin roads will be just as nice to ride on Saturday as they will Friday. :photographing: The camp fire will be just as warm. And the beer may even be a little colder by then! :sign woo hoo: :beer: :beer: :sign woo hoo:

I know it is a long time till October cause I keep looking at the calender and it is still says August! :bawling: And I hope the leaves are changing good too, but even if they are GREEN Lisa and I will have a blast just riding the roads and seeing everyone. :clap2:

See you there, I hope,

Bryan

but even if they are GREEN Lisa and I will have a blast just riding the roads and seeing everyone. :clap2:

No doubt. That is a great part of the state to ride in any time of the year. Get off the state highways, and you can't go wrong.:banana:

Lookin' forward to meeting you guys.:thumbsup2:

Later, Scooter Bob