I have been looking at light bars for the rear of my 07 RSV. I looked at the thread for the Pilot light bar but dont want to do any drilling and that thread is from 2006. I'm sure there are more options by now. I found one that bolts to the helmet holders but now can't find it again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there guys,

Here’s the instructions for installing the signal dymanics light bar on the Venture.

First you need to get the light bar. It’s available at

http://signaldynamics.com/products/LightBars/15ultra.asp

This light bar has 3 led’s that light up for tail lights and then the whole bar lights for the brake. The folks I ride with say it really lights up the rear end.

I’ve never seen the clear one up close but either should work fine.

You’ll also need some bolts to put it on with. I believe I used #8’s. (it could be #6’s though) These are socket head bolts and should be stainless steel and 1 ½ inches long. I put 2 inch in mine because they were out of the 1 ½ . Also get some SS lock nuts so you don’t have to worry about them getting loose over time. You will also need some 1 inch spacers. I got all my parts at the local Lowe’s.

You will need to remove the push pins that hold the rubber part that covers the helmet holder mounts. You can simply pull those out with a pair of needle nose pliers. You’ll need to peel back the rubber from the inside to get the lock nuts on. As you can see the bolts go through the rubber.

Be careful not to over tighten the bolts. You only need to snug them up. After you get them snug you can push the rubber back into place where the nuts are. Now you are finished with the mounting and ready for wiring. I didn’t take pictures when I put this on so I don’t have pics of the way I wired it up. I took the wires under the seat on mine and connected them there.

I hope this helps.

Parts list=

2-SS locknuts #8

2-SS socket head bolts #8x1 ½ inch long

2-SS washers for under the nut

2 spacers 1 inch long

Edited by Eddie Fulmer

I agree with Eddie Fulmer above with the exception that I used metric hardware.

I don't remember the size, but it is really close to the #8 screws and nylon insert lock nuts that are listed..... just compare them in the hardware store and go with the metric hardware.

• 5 months later...

custom dynamics also has bar....i have clear one on my black 07 venture and it looks good (i think) and is very bright when brake is lit...have also seen one before where all are on in running and brake mode...i also used double stick tape on the top of bar to stick it to the bottom of the trunk for more stability

At the back of the bike the colors are as follows:

Dark green is the right turn signal.

Dark brown is the left turn signal.

Blue is the tail light.

Yellow is the brake light.(Well yellow doesn't show up well but you get the picture)

Black is ground.

The Diamond R light bar has two wires - brown and green. Any idea which ones to connect them to? :think:

Thanks!

The Diamond R light bar has two wires - brown and green. Any idea which ones to connect them to? :think:

Thanks!

Never mind. Tail light/brake light lightbar successfully installed and works great. Makes a world of difference in being seen from behind. I highly recommend one.

:2cents: Just mine...

Guest Saddletramp

Don't be afraid to give Allen and Patti a call in the future for Diamond R questions. They are fantastic people and will be more than happy to help out with your questions.

Don't be afraid to give Allen and Patti a call in the future for Diamond R questions. They are fantastic people and will be more than happy to help out with your questions.

Yeah, I did call them, and talked to Patti. What a sweetie. She had Alan call me tonight, but I had already figured things out with a little trial and error (more trial than error!). He and I chatted for a while, and I will definitely call on them again if needed. Very nice folks, and a good product line up.

• 2 weeks later...

Brenda followed me home in her car one night recently and was really upset about the lack of lighting on the rear of my Venture. I spotted the info quoted below from Eddie Fulmer (who originally led me to this site) and ordered the LED light bar he mentioned. I installed it today and both Brenda and I are very happy with the results. Pictures are not necessary - just look at Eddie's.

So once again I have to say, "Thanks Eddie."

Lynn

Hi there guys,

Here’s the instructions for installing the signal dymanics light bar on the Venture.

First you need to get the light bar. It’s available at

http://signaldynamics.com/products/LightBars/15ultra.asp

This light bar has 3 led’s that light up for tail lights and then the whole bar lights for the brake. The folks I ride with say it really lights up the rear end.

I’ve never seen the clear one up close but either should work fine.

You’ll also need some bolts to put it on with. I believe I used #8’s. (it could be #6’s though) These are socket head bolts and should be stainless steel and 1 ½ inches long. I put 2 inch in mine because they were out of the 1 ½ . Also get some SS lock nuts so you don’t have to worry about them getting loose over time. You will also need some 1 inch spacers. I got all my parts at the local Lowe’s.

You will need to remove the push pins that hold the rubber part that covers the helmet holder mounts. You can simply pull those out with a pair of needle nose pliers. You’ll need to peel back the rubber from the inside to get the lock nuts on. As you can see the bolts go through the rubber.

Be careful not to over tighten the bolts. You only need to snug them up. After you get them snug you can push the rubber back into place where the nuts are. Now you are finished with the mounting and ready for wiring. I didn’t take pictures when I put this on so I don’t have pics of the way I wired it up. I took the wires under the seat on mine and connected them there.

I hope this helps.

Parts list=

2-SS locknuts #8

2-SS socket head bolts #8x1 ½ inch long

2-SS washers for under the nut

2 spacers 1 inch long

You just made me feel good!!! Glad you got the bar on. May it not only look good but may in increase the angel presence when you ride!!! I think those bars actually scare away the evil spirits to. LOL

:mytruck:

Hey this is me in about 2 weeks. Me and my first wife are going to Branson, Mo. She can't ride that far so I'm trailering my bike. They say there are many good roads there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks for the full info on this bar and how to install it..

I ordered the full red one from http://signaldynamics.com/products/LightBars/15ultra.asp and installed it on the bike.. For those not yet committed to pulling the trigger on this or any other '3rd brake light', do so now.. what a difference it makes..

I went down to the local bike shop and asked them to machine me 2 one inch tubes for the spacers and painted them black. appropriate hardware to install it to the bike..

The wiring wasn't too tricky for non-sparker types, I sent the white wire to ground, and the brown and green wires together to the YELLOW wire on the bike (chrome bulge thingy behind license plate hides all the wires.. I opted to not show dim lights but only bright brake lights from darkened state as to make it pop more.. Some people like running these light bars as running and then brake lights but I find the 'in your face factor' not as noticeable.. One other thing I did differently than my buddy's install is that I taped my 3 wires together, as he did, but I passed my up and over a chrome cross bar under the trunk so that the wires won't rub against the top of the license plate and cause problems later on..

A quick ride tonight said it all where my buddies didn't like being behind my bike because every time I braked, the light would leap out at him, almost scaring him at time lol.. Imagine the cagers.

My only 'question' is now that I have the dim running lights and the brake lights wired together to show all lights as brakes, am I at risk of 'melting' anything or burning a bulb out? odd question but good to know eh?

Hey guys, thanks for the full info on this bar and how to install it..

I ordered the full red one from http://signaldynamics.com/products/LightBars/15ultra.asp and installed it on the bike.. For those not yet committed to pulling the trigger on this or any other '3rd brake light', do so now.. what a difference it makes..

I went down to the local bike shop and asked them to machine me 2 one inch tubes for the spacers and painted them black. appropriate hardware to install it to the bike..

The wiring wasn't too tricky for non-sparker types, I sent the white wire to ground, and the brown and green wires together to the YELLOW wire on the bike (chrome bulge thingy behind license plate hides all the wires.. I opted to not show dim lights but only bright brake lights from darkened state as to make it pop more.. Some people like running these light bars as running and then brake lights but I find the 'in your face factor' not as noticeable.. One other thing I did differently than my buddy's install is that I taped my 3 wires together, as he did, but I passed my up and over a chrome cross bar under the trunk so that the wires won't rub against the top of the license plate and cause problems later on..

A quick ride tonight said it all where my buddies didn't like being behind my bike because every time I braked, the light would leap out at him, almost scaring him at time lol.. Imagine the cagers.

My only 'question' is now that I have the dim running lights and the brake lights wired together to show all lights as brakes, am I at risk of 'melting' anything or burning a bulb out? odd question but good to know eh?

Don't have to worry about melting anything

Regular stock bulbs I belive are 20 watts when you hit the brake, your LED lightbar is less then 1 watt even on brake. LED's all most add no load to the system.

You shouldn't have any problems

I agree !!!

Man you aren't kidding !

As I was reading the post here, I was installing the same light bar tonight.

I also added the Night Riderz sequential light that goes back and forth on the license plate frame, and also added the Genesis 32 LED Run/Brake replacement board for the tail light Assembly, and I have to say, man, the bike of the bike is bright!

It's really bright, then you hit brake, and man, that light bar is sooooo bright ! :sun1::sun1::sun1::sun1::sun1::sun1:

Safe riding and have fun

I agree !!!

Man you aren't kidding !

As I was reading the post here, I was installing the same light bar tonight.

I also added the Night Riderz sequential light that goes back and forth on the license plate frame, and also added the Genesis 32 LED Run/Brake replacement board for the tail light Assembly, and I have to say, man, the bike of the bike is bright!

It's really bright, then you hit brake, and man, that light bar is sooooo bright ! :sun1::sun1::sun1::sun1::sun1::sun1:

Safe riding and have fun

That Night Rider light in BLUE is illegal here.. the cops hate having any red or blue lights on any motorcycle as people may confuse us for 'emergency vehicles'.. lol go figure.. However, my tail light has an Ultra Bright LED board in it also.. it's brilliantly annoying to anyone behind me.. which is good.. for me..

As a fun note, the Motor Vehicle Act prohibits anyone displaying a red or blue light on a moving vehicle 'except for parade or stationary display'... So one buddy of mine got pulled over when the cops saw his bike lit up while waiting for the traffic lights to change.. He challenged them saying the lights are not ON when he's driving, only when he's stationary and static.. hehe.. Somehow he wired the lights to come on ONLY when in 'neutral'.. When he comes up to a stop at the signal lights, he pops it into neutral and the blue displays come on lol.. still the cops didn't like it and charged him.. however, it got bounced in court when it couldn't be proven that he was 'driving with the blue display lights on' lol.. Silly contest of wills but he's funny like that lol.

I'm not worried at all, as mine are red, on the Night Riderz.

Also here in Florida, Blue is only illegal is can be seen from the front of the vehicle.

I have over 200 BLUE LED's on my Goldiwng, and drove around like that for over a year, and never got pulled over once. The LEO's complmneted me on how good the bike looked.

Depnds where you live and where you ride for sure.

I'll be also doing the RSV the same as the Wing with the LED's here shortley :)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/fltekdiver/LEDbike2.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/fltekdiver/Ledsbike.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/fltekdiver/LEDsbike3.jpg

I'm not worried at all, as mine are red, on the Night Riderz.

Also here in Florida, Blue is only illegal is can be seen from the front of the vehicle.

I have over 200 BLUE LED's on my Goldiwng, and drove around like that for over a year, and never got pulled over once. The LEO's complmneted me on how good the bike looked.

Depnds where you live and where you ride for sure.

I'll be also doing the RSV the same as the Wing with the LED's here shortley :)

Nice! I had done up my VStar with UltraViolet lights a few years ago.. nice subtle show colours.. Been thinking of doing up the RSV just for something to do..

The Ring of Fire on the front wheel in orange / amber is permissible here, but do they make them for the RSV?