I burned my clutch this weekend.

I was riding on a highway and we were close to Terre Haute IN. We were actually heading into Terre Haute for breakfast. So I was slowing down for the exit ramp. Went to downshift and nothing. Looked down and I lost my shifter bolt. Approached the stop light and came to a complete stop in 5th gear. Light turned green. Revved the motor to get the bike going. I figured if I could get it going, then the the motor will eventually catch up from the increased speed. Well it never did. I got it going, but I actually got slower and slower to where it didn't move at all. Went through all the gears and nothing (someone moved the shifter by hand). Dumb mistake I know (at least now I know. So no, I didn't think this would happen by revving the motor like that. This is the 2nd bike I have ever owned).

One of 2 things happened. I am not a mechanic so my terminology might not be correct. One of the guys I was with thought when I lost the shifter bolt and the shifter came off its' pivot point (or whatever you call it), it lowered a gear (not sure if the term is correct) just enough to start tearing up the clutch fibers and when I was at the stop light revving up the bike, getting the oil hot enough to burn out the clutch (in essence finishing what was already started). The other thought was that I started and finished it when I was at the stop light and when I got the bike going.

We were at the side of the road. A guy stopped and happened to be a Harley mechanic at a Yamaha/Suzuki shop which was close by. We pushed it over there and got into the service dept. They pulled the plug and sure enough there were fibers on the plug. So the other non-harley mechanics checked to see if they had the parts in stock, which they didn't. They said they don't get Ventures in the shop for burned out clutches. Called 5 or 6 places around Indianapolis. One place in Peru In (check out mapquest from Terre Haute to Peru - quite a haul) had it but no gasket. The dealer I was at said they can order an EBC kit, but thought they were junk and didn't elaborate why (why tell me you could order the kit but not recommend it. I didn't ask what parts do you recommend, they just started the conversation this way. Why not just say we can order the stock clutch kit). They recommended stock. Stock was the best to them.

The Harley mechanic looked to be working more on dirt bikes than anything, but he said he works on Harleys.

Talked to parts guy. He didn't rank stock, but said if it was him, he would buy EBC, but not Barnett (and didn't elaborate why).

Ordered the EBC parts, left the dealer and got to our destination. We were at a gathering at a local dealer. I talked to other people. One guy just commented he didn't like aftermarket and always goes w/ stock. Other people had the same thoughts as me that EBC should last about as long as the bike.

At best I figured I could go ahead have EBC put in to finish the riding season. Save over winter to put in stock (if stock is better) than EBC when riding season kicks in again. Then I would have a spare (EBC) set in case I need it.

Even at that, if EBC clutch will last a very, very long time then I won't bother w/ putting in a stock set next year.

Anyone w/ experience w/ EBC? I thought they were supposed to be very good quality.

I wouldn't rate EBC over Stock Plates or vice versa. I think EBC are fine, so are the Stock Plates.

I've done quite a few Clutches, maybe 10 or 12, mostly on Vmax, but also on MKII Ventures. Barnett are nor cheap and they can be an Solution in Conjunction with the Barnett Clutch Pressure Plate Kit on a tuned (Vmax)Engine or if you up to do a Lot of Burnouts with your Venture. But on a big bore Vmax Motor even a Barnett-Kit isn't an Option in the long Term, because they will be gone before you know it.

My surrounding Vmax Crowd is converting to Lock-Up Clutches recently. We make them cheap enough now to get a reasonable Price (little over twice of a complete Stock renewal) and you can use the cheapest Plates you can get and wear them down to to the Aluminum. I recently converted my Max to a Lock-Up and found the Lever Force needed to operate the Lever lower then before. Not a surprise though, this comes out of the System, but i was delighted.

The Grip of the Clutch is very good, well, it should, because Lock up means LOCK it up.

I wouldn't rate EBC over Stock Plates or vice versa. I think EBC are fine, so are the Stock Plates.

I've done quite a few Clutches, maybe 10 or 12, mostly on Vmax, but also on MKII Ventures. Barnett are nor cheap and they can be an Solution in Conjunction with the Barnett Clutch Pressure Plate Kit on a tuned (Vmax)Engine or if you up to do a Lot of Burnouts with your Venture. But on a big bore Vmax Motor even a Barnett-Kit isn't an Option in the long Term, because they will be gone before you know it.

My surrounding Vmax Crowd is converting to Lock-Up Clutches recently. We make them cheap enough now to get a reasonable Price (little over twice of a complete Stock renewal) and you can use the cheapest Plates you can get and wear them down to to the Aluminum. I recently converted my Max to a Lock-Up and found the Lever Force needed to operate the Lever lower then before. Not a surprise though, this comes out of the System, but i was delighted.

The Grip of the Clutch is very good, well, it should, because Lock up means LOCK it up.

VERY INTERESTING!! Where do we get and how much?? I got a 1300 VTX that is getting sassy.

Dan, i'm sorry, but i don't know where you Guys in US could get that Clutch Conversion done. I didn't find a Vendor in US when i looked for it a half Year ago.

We do it on our own, one of our Board Members has bitten the Bullit and has had a CNC Programmer written the Program to make the Parts in Series. There are two new Parts and the inner Basket and the stock Pressure Plate of a Diaphragm Style Clutch has to be modified.

Here is Ebay Auction for a Set. http://cgi.ebay.de/Rennsport-Kupplung-Look-Up-System-fuer-Yamaha-V-max-Neu_W0QQitemZ140215036060QQihZ004QQcategoryZ101887QQcmdZViewItem

We get them somewhat cheaper over our german Vmax Board.

When you're interested, i could get a Set for you and arrange shipping. But i don't know if this would fit your VTX1300. If your Clutch in Question is the same as a MKII or Vmax Clutch, the Parts fit Bolt on.

VERY INTERESTING!! Where do we get and how much?? I got a 1300 VTX that is getting sassy.

When you're interested, i could get a Set for you and arrange shipping. But i don't know if this would fit your VTX1300. If your Clutch in Question is the same as a MKII or Vmax Clutch, the Parts fit Bolt on.

Squeeze, I think Dan is thinking of, taking on that VTX1300, with "Ugly".

Also, Dan is gonna be in for it:bang head:, if the Warden gets wind of this.......:080402gudl_prv:

Squeeze, I think Dan is thinking of, taking on that VTX1300, with "Ugly".

Also, Dan is gonna be in for it:bang head:, if the Warden gets wind of this.......:080402gudl_prv:

Oh, sorry .... i'd thought that VTX is a V-Star 1300 or something ....

If you have the EBC parts in the bike I would just run the thing the way it is.

The OEM clutch is probably as good as any.

I don't think any one clutch is that better than the next.

I just put the heavy Vmax spring in my bike and it works fine but is a little stronger to pull. If I had it to do over I probably would use the OEM.

Of course that bolt is a problem with these bikes and need to have some locktite put on it.

Good Luck,

Jerry

Yup. It's a Honda. I traded my '04 Honda VTX 1300S Retro for the Venture. S just stand for spoke rims and Retro is for the fender style.

I never had any mechanical issues with it. One of the guys I was talking w/ this weekend had an 1800 VTX that he later traded it in for a roadliner. He talked about his slipping too.

This is an older picture of it.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Bike%20Pics/c147.jpg

This is from last year.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Bike%20Pics/img_6193.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Bike%20Pics/04152007E.jpg

Another guy mentioned that since my bike had 59k miles on it, he thought that it was a long life for the clutch anyway. I would think if a bike is well maintained, the clutch (out of the factory) would last as long as the bike.

Another guy commented that if you are a careful rider, things seem to break down more than if you are an aggressive rider. Not sure how, but that is what he thought.

So riding to our destination, I got to ride passenger on the Roadliner and also passenger on a Goldwing. I will tell you what, I about fell asleep on the Goldwing. Pretty comfy. If I didn't have my contacts in, I probably would have. LOL The guy w/the Roadliner let me ride it the last 25 miles to our destination to save some dignity while he rode on the back of the Goldwing. Not a bad ride either.

So one of the guys at our gathering was going to let me ride his Venture home. We live about an hour apart. I just wasn't sure when I could return it. He needed it for work and offered for me to ride his wife's V-Star home. Talked to my wife before I left the place and we returned it today.

For your viewing pleasure. LOL

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Bike%20Pics/P1010038.jpg

If you can't tell, that is a rose on the tank. I just bought a scorpion helmet w/ the dark tint face shield. So I was covered head to toe. Unless you have x-ray vision you wouldn't be able to tell I was a guy. So I passed a few harley's at an intersection that were waiting at the stop light. I even got a nod from one of the women riders. All I could do was laugh and think what would they think if they saw my face (gottee and all) and riding a bike w/ a rose on the tank. I would have loved to see the expressions on their face (or any biker's for that matter). LOL

Now what would have topped it off is if I was wearing my wife's helmet.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Bike%20Pics/04152007H.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Bike%20Pics/04152007I.jpg

Edited by Sideoftheroad

Not as good as you Squeeze I couldn't read it. How much is 428,99 EUR Good ad these might sell here. Mine is a 85 Venture not sure if it would fit.

Dan, i'm sorry, but no english Translation available at the Moment. I placed that Link only to take a Look at the Pics.

The Clutch works by centrifugal Force. Once you let the Lever go and the Clutch starts to bite, the Weights inside the inner Hub start to move to the outside. By doing so, they apply Force to a ramp-shaped Ring and pull the Steel and Friction Plates Package more and more together. the more RpM, the more Force on the Mechanism. At 2500 Rpm, the Force exceeds any Force of the stock Diaphragm Spring or the six coil Springs and locking more and more during the Rpm Range. The Spring Force is only to keep the Packet together and maintain a good starting Point. Now, when you apply Pressure to the Lever, even under WOT, the Ramp styled Levers force the Clutch to open, no matter what RpM. Because the Mechanism is not that sensitive for the overall Thickness of the Plates Package, you can wear the Discs down until virtually all Friction Material is gone.

I get the Conversion Kit over my Vmax Forum for 360 Euro. This converts to 485 USD at current Exchange Rate.

The Kit comes with a new, but modified inner Clutch Hub, a new but modified Pressure Plate with new Bearing and all the new Parts for the Lock Up Mechanism seen on the Pics of the EBay Auction. That goes for natural Aluminum Parts. If you would want polished or black anodized/polished this would cost 15 Euros extra. That might be a good Idea if you would want a windowed Clutch Cover, as shown in the EBay Pic.

When we modify new Parts delivered from US, this might be 100 Dollars minus Freight Costs cheaper, because the European Parts Prices are a rip off, compared to US Prices.

Edited by Squeeze

So is the 1300 VTX or the Venture the strongest??

What do you mean by strongest? If you are talking HP and torque, the VTX is not. A few years ago I was in Louisville and did one of those dyno's in a trailer. A couple Ventures went ahead of me. From what I remember not that close on the HP but on torque it seemed to come w/in 10 ft.lb. I think I have the #'s posted on another forum. I'll go digging around for it.

FYI on the shift level bolt. It is the same as used on the side panel trim (just under the seat). I had the shift lever fall off while riding thru Oklahoma a few years ago. Replaced it with one of the panel trim bolts and headed down the road. I use locktite on this bolt now.

The EBC clutch will do just fine. Even if it is not as strong as the OEM clutch kit, it will still last 40k miles.

RR

Found the post

Previous setup: 57.7 hp & 72.1 torque. stock airbox, and cobra slash-cut slip-ons, rejetting not done

New setup: 62.4 hp & 79.6 torque. Pro-R Hypercharger, V&H Bigshots, pair valves removed. 195/3rd clip/3 turns

Checked Yamaha's website for the #'s they are posting for '09 models. They state 97hp & 89 ft lb. So Just barely w/in 10 ft lb torque.