IGNORED

Whine question?

Has anyone installed a external oil line to the clutch gear? Looks like you could tap in the plug on the right side where some people install a oil pressure gauge. Then drill and tap a hole in the area of the gear. Dont appear to be a big deal to try. BB

I have never heard of anyone doing this Bob.....

However, if you decide to take a shot at this, it would pay off to video your process of how it was done and if it works as you expect it to, we can post it in the tech article section.

I love guinnie pigs...:stickpoke:

HI I would appreciate any help possible in installing the gauge or extra line to feed the clutch gear I have proved absolutely its lack of oil making a weird situation (cutch whine) worser

I have now carved some micro oil divets in the gear drive and clutch gear and when oiled is 50 % better just need oil YESSSSSS

OH give me OIL gauge where the buffalo roam and clutches are silent all day soft and quiet on the range where the royal stars and tour deluxes play:fingers-crossed-emo

whineee TAMED 25% better YESssss

I have an 08 royal star and I put in a I basket last year it helped a bit !!!! I noticed that on the side stand while changing gears there is no oil in clutch chamber!!!!!!

HI the MAIN DRIVE GEAR SITS DRYYYYYY all the time on the side stand HMMMMMMMMM:detective:

I Now stand the bike up vertical when home. it coats the gears in a bath of oil which flows passively into the clutch chamber=I USE a combo of lucAs OIL 20/50 AND MOTOR kote also lucas oil additive helps with the noise too best yet! tried it for a week now well see if its accumulative:cool10:

I TRIED it leaned over on side stand again for two days and loud :backinmyday: WHIiiine was back there isn't enough oil on that gear while driving really

BUT if it is soaked it sticks which is lucas oil specialty so stand er up pour in your engine kote let it sit for day and 25% quieter try er out boys good luck THERE is in fact a center stand available from Rivco:080402gudl_prv:

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=60&cat=202&page=1

:stirthepot: now for windshield pouches to tone down reflective noise HAS any body tried that?????:080402gudl_prv: :fingers-crossed-emo

progress.gif

Has anyone installed a external oil line to the clutch gear? Looks like you could tap in the plug on the right side where some people install a oil pressure gauge. Then drill and tap a hole in the area of the gear. Dont appear to be a big deal to try. BB

It could cause you to have an oil pressure drop unless you somehow use a small orifice to only allow a small amount of oil to dump.

It could cause you to have an oil pressure drop unless you somehow use a small orifice to only allow a small amount of oil to dump.

Propane supply houses usually have a selection of gas jets one of which should work. Or many auto engines use an oiler jet to lubricate the piston wrist pin. One of those could also work just fine.

I have often thought of this as a cure. But with my bike still being under warranty I am in no hurry to try. I used to do something similar to Chevy timing chains. Virtually stopped chain wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Added the oil line last week while installing the Barnett spring conversion.

First, I would call it well worth the time (about a hour), the cost (about $15).

No, it didnt eliminate the noise completely, but it sure helped. More so at highway speed.

After opening the case i seen there was a nice compartment right over the driven clutch gear. Thats when the idea to pump the oil to the void and meter it down from there to direct oil to the gear.

A few pointers:

I used push to connect air line fittings that swivel. 1/8NPT to 5/32 airline 90s

Makes install easy, takes up little room,

I used a 1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT bushing in the oil acess plug to allow tightening to reinstall after drilling and tapping.

I used .045 drill bit for orfice.

If i have it apart again i would drill the hole larger.

Other info: The clutch basket turns counterclockwise, that being said you adding oil after the contact has been made. Oiling from the other side should be a better angle but much harder to do!

In closing, after 300 miles today the FB6 is gone from my head!

Your results may vary..

• 1 month later...

I will try to find a solid place without that flange/ gap I think thoo BUUUTTT what is the size of the oil outlet from the bike what MM 17 for the oil gauge pls???? ?? Thanks cant wait to try this awesome IDEA ahhh SILENCE-ISH

BTW I have built a side stand to lean it over on the right soaking the clutch before a ride and it helps a lot but this is the better idea by far OIL feed yes!!!

:cool10::lightbulb:

Edited by RussLightwing
spelling

• 3 months later...

So has anyone done this yet?

Sweet!!

Maybe a pass through fitting where you can bring a small bit of the hose into the case and align it so it pours just to the bottom of the motor gear? The oil will be pulled into the contact area and maybe get rid of the Jetson's twrrrk??

Gotta make the effort to do this when I do my clutch this fall.

I'll take pix too. :cool10:

Chaharly,

Go up 5 posts and you'll see that Bob has done it.

Bob,

What is the small black line going down from that pocket?

Was that there or did you put it there?

Thanks,

I got an I basket a couple of years ago and put it in, but it made my whine louder, so after maybe 50-100 miles took it out and it's on my shelf.

Steve

Chaharly,

Bob,

Thanks,

I got an I basket a couple of years ago and put it in, but it made my whine louder, so after maybe 50-100 miles took it out and it's on my shelf.

Steve

That black line is the line i added go into the pocket. Bob

Chaharly,

Bob,

Thanks,

Steve

Would that I basket be for sale by chance? :whistling:

Looking at the pictures you showed me, and this picture from The Venturers website it looks like you can put a small line where I've marked it with a blue arrow. This will be putting the oil where it needs to be right? Will it have enough pressure to squirt or is it just a trickle?

Edited by Chaharly
Forgot Attachment

I have a question on this subject I just thought of the other day. For the most part the first and second gen engines are , the same. So why doen no one complain about clutch whine on the 1st gen? Could you install a clutch basket for a first gen in a second gen?

I have a question on this subject I just thought of the other day. For the most part the first and second gen engines are , the same. So why doen no one complain about clutch whine on the 1st gen? Could you install a clutch basket for a first gen in a second gen?

I have asked that question many times, never got a good answer. I have a first gen so the only whine I hear is just before I leave the house alone.....

• 5 months later...