IGNORED

Fork seal driver?

Here's a c&p from one of my previous posts past weeks. In hindsight had I known, would have done more research for a driver that fit.

However after grinding off enough metal on the driver edges to fit, it only took about 5 min to seat both seals.

"Picked up a 41mm Motion Pro seal driver on Utube '1984 Venture Seal Replacement, Part 2'. (spec is 40mm).

As it turns out this driver wouldn't quite fit inside my 87' tubes. Had to grind off 1/2 mm circumferance on the driver where the seams meet.

Could be the difference between MK1 and MK2 tolerances."

Any way you could use a piece of PVC pipe that slides over the fork tube where the PVC pipe is a little longer than the tube so that you can tap it with a hammer on the top and not damage the tube? The PVC pipe diameter should be very close to same diameter of the seal.

I'm thinking somewhere around a 1 & 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipe..

Any way you could use a piece of PVC pipe that slides over the fork tube where the PVC pipe is a little longer than the tube so that you can tap it with a hammer on the top and not damage the tube? The PVC pipe diameter should be very close to same diameter of the seal.

I'm thinking somewhere around a 1 & 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipe..

That's want i use. I think it was 1.5" pipe then found a female coupler that had a hex end on it. Ground off the hex to the same diameter as the seal. The inside of the coupler had a tapered countersink so it cleared the upper lip of the seal nicely.

The guys at the hardware store worry about me. IM always wandering the isles and when they ask me what IM looking for they get "motorcycle stuff" . Get some strange looks.

Oddly enough i usually find what i need.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Once upon a time, I thought there was a traveling seal driver floating around.

Anyone know who ended up with it? I think it was Bob Myers that made it?

I think that was for 2nd Gen forks. Bob did make one as a combo bushing and seal driver for them i believe.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

I used this one

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009M4COVI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Motion Pro (08-0489) 41mm Ringer Fork Seal Driver: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bv0ErRFtL.@@AMEPARAM@@41bv0ErRFtL[/ame]

It worked like a dream.