IGNORED

Replacement starter

After reading several threads here all about replacing the stock 2 brush starter on an 86 XVZ1300 Royale with a 4 brush because the 4 brush is suppose to be so much better, I just bought a starter from a 98 XVZ1300 Royal Star Venture. Sure hope it is a four brush and better yet, I sure hope it fits.

After reading several threads here all about replacing the stock 2 brush starter on an 86 XVZ1300 Royale with a 4 brush because the 4 brush is suppose to be so much better, I just bought a starter from a 98 XVZ1300 Royal Star Venture. Sure hope it is a four brush and better yet, I sure hope it fits.

Sure hope it fits, too, since there was no 1998 RSV.

Nevermind. I did a search and found the answer to my question.

I wish my '88 had the 4 brush starter. But I upgraded the cables and it starts fine right now.

I've been reading 4 brush starter posts for years and always wonder.... Is a two brush so bad??? A lot of my bikes are 1stGen 2 brush bikes and they start just fine. Some with gobs of miles on the odo. I really can't see changing out a starter unless it's DOA, or you've shaved the heads and added high compression pistons. And if one does go I'll replace it with a 2-brush for less bucks.....

i dunno for me it was a matter of having one 2 brush die, then have the second dead as soon as i installed it, so ive went new and with the troubles i had on hot days before the extra $20 for a new 4 brush vs 2 brush was worth the piece of mind

The stock starting system works ok.

doing the ground mod on the 2 brush starter makes it better.

Doing the wire upgrade makes it better yet

adding an AGM battery also makes it better.

a 4 brush starter added to all of the above makes it the best it can be.

My stock system never failed to do its job. With each upgrade starting got noticeably better.

I'm in the same queue. I ordered a 4 brush starter & it should be here tomorrow.

I got sick & tired of the S L O W cranking when she's hot...especially in stalled traffic.

BTW will I have to change my cables to 4ga or will my existing gen 1 cables work properly?