IGNORED

Page Scrolling

We are never going to please everyone, at least not if they insist on using Micro$oft Internet Explorer! As we already know, not everyone is going to select the same screen resolution, and as more high quality flat-panel displays come into use, more people are selecting a larger resolution than 1024x768.

The problem here is that IE has fallen way behind in technology compared to the other browsers. Firefox and Opera both handle dynamic text wrapping and flexible page width with poise and grace. IE can barely recognize a difference in browser size or page width, let alone deal with it! The HTML code that tells the other browsers to set max width to the window is not even recognized by IE. Because of that, the only way to work around the problem is code a lot of stuff under the covers to tell IE exactly what size to use. As Don said above, he chose 1024x768 'cause he had to choose something, and that seems to still be the most common. But this will leave anyone running smaller or larger resolutions with a problem.

The solution here is to quit using Internet Explorer! I have hung onto IE for a long time because I kept finding things I didn't like with both Firefox and Opera every time I tried them. As much as I didn't like IE, it seemed to still be the best of a bunch of bad choices. But I think I have finally changed my mind. The testing for this thread made me install new versions of both Firefox and Opera, and I'm happy to say that I am now very pleased with both of them. I also tried Google's new browser (Chrome, still in beta), but I have to recommend that you stay as far away from that thing as possible! WAY too many things still missing in it!!!

So my recommendation to all of you is to try out both Firefox and Opera and see which one you like best. They both are free and install quickly and painlessly. They automatically import your favorites and cookies from IE, so you can begin using them without any effort at all. They each have a very different look and feel, so it is worth trying both of them to see which suits your preferences. When you decide which browser you prefer (even if it is to stick with IE), the others will uninstall just as easily as they went on. And there is no problem leaving all three of them on the same computer either.

For everyone who insists on staying with IE, I personally believe we should remove the hokey work-around that Don just put in, and all IE users just need to accept its limitations.

Goose

Oh, one last comment on the browsers - Firefox comes with a built-in spelling checker that works like the one in M$ Word. Opera does not have one, but you can get a free add-on called Aspell that seems to work great.

Well, the new IE 8 is supposedly more compliant with standard protocols so I downloaded and installed the beta version this morning in hopes that they had corrected this issue. No such luck....IE 8 doesn't properly wrap the lines either. Kent is absolutely correct on this one, Firefox or Opera is the way to go with browsers. I personally gave up on IE long ago.

It is now optimized for 1024 x 768 pixels. What resolution are you running Pegscraper?

It is set at 1280 x 1024. Never had any issues before this. It worked fine for both a mostly square flat screen and the laptop's own widescreen. Now there's a bunch of wasted space on the right side of the screen. It's pretty rare that a picture wider than the screen was ever put up. So now we have a narrow text space on everything 100% of the time to accommodate the rare odd time a large picture is posted. You've given us plenty of picture resizing methods in the past. Let people make the pictures smaller. It was fine the way it was, and I'd appreciate it if it were put back. I use a Mac with Safari.

It is set at 1280 x 1024. Never had any issues before this. It worked fine for both a mostly square flat screen and the laptop's own widescreen. Now there's a bunch of wasted space on the right side of the screen. It's pretty rare that a picture wider than the screen was ever put up. So now we have a narrow text space on everything 100% of the time to accommodate the rare odd time a large picture is posted. You've given us plenty of picture resizing methods in the past. Let people make the pictures smaller. It was fine the way it was, and I'd appreciate it if it were put back. I use a Mac with Safari.

I'm with Lynn here.

My Laptop runs 1440x900 and almost half of the Screen is unused. It isn't annoying for me, but i thought why mess with a self adjusting System in first Place ?

No problem Brad. Like Kent said, there is no way that we can please everybody. Our only hope is to do what is best for the majority. That is what I'll do when I figure out what that is in this case. No big deal.

You know the old saying...you can please all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't please all the people all the time and you can't please some of the people any of the time and many of the people none of the time and none of the people many many times and....wait a minute.......I don't think that was right. :scratchchin:

You know the old saying...you can please all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't please all the people all the time and you can't please some of the people any of the time and many of the people none of the time and none of the people many many times and....wait a minute.......I don't think that was right. :scratchchin:

That saying is so old you all can't remember.

Not too worry either this is been like this for a few years I was just getting tired of it, so I thought I would ask. Have to find another one, but it is not fair anymore, as you have help from the computer gurus.

BRad

I think in this case, the way things were might have been the best choice. As bad as IE is, it still managed to dynamically split lines and wrap most posts to whatever window size the user had. The specific problem we started with was where there were no spaces between graphics. In that situation, IE just left everything one long line until it found a space. But those types of posts don't really happen all that often. Maybe we should go back to that default and just tell everyone who insists on using IE as their browser that they have to live with the limitations? After all, we have already told them how to solve it just by using a different browser. It is their own choice.

Goose

Maybe we should go back to that default and just tell everyone who insists on using IE as their browser that they have to live with the limitations? Goose

I agree.

I tried loading the different browsers before but my work laptop will not allow it. "IT" has them blocked.

Brad