IGNORED

clutch housing gasket

I never put anything on a new gasket PROVIDED the mating surfaces are in perfect shape, as they should be. If someone has scratched and gouged them up from trying to get off an old gasket (perhaps because it was glued on?), then a good brand of sealant is called for. I prefer to never use a silicone type sealant no matter what the problem since the excess that is squeezed out of the joint, even if quite small, can easily get sucked into an oil line and block it.

Bottom line is that no new gasket should ever leak if the surfaces are smooth and nothing is warped (assuming the bolts are torqued correctly). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

In a perfect world we wouldnt need gasket sealer, but the world aint so perfect.....:smile5:

I tried mine without sealer and it had a slight drip. However I destroyed the new factory gasket when I removed the cover to add the sealer. What I did was to go to the auto supply store and buy a sheet of rubber impregnated gasket material and cut my own gasket. Its slightly thicker than the factory one and much sturdier too. I had enough materials left over for several more gaskets. The factory gasket cost me 12.00...the sheet of gasket material cost me 4.00....hmmmm And yes, I used a blue sealer on the gasket. Just a light coat should do fine.

Thanks Guys!!!!:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I appreciate ALL of your ideas.

That's what is so great here-- I get real life oppinions from people that have tried it. Saves me the hard learning experiences.

Now I will take her appart and see how it looks. I will use one of the suggestions and consider the rest.

I just don't know which one yet?

Gasket? You're supposed to use a gasket?

I used an anaerobic gasket maker (Loctite 518). If it drips into the oil, it stays a liquid. No worries unlike the silicone crap.

But you can't replace any Cover Gasket with that Stuff. Stator Cover definately won't work, Clutch sometimes, Waterpump is too dangerous. Not sure about the middle Drive Gear.

But you can't replace any Cover Gasket with that Stuff. Stator Cover definitely won't work, Clutch sometimes, Waterpump is too dangerous. Not sure about the middle Drive Gear.

Can you elaborate? I know nothing about that particular product, but the idea sounds good. Why do you state it has those limitations?

Goose

I've replaced all the cover gaskets at one time or another and don't use a thing. I make very sure that all old gasket material is completely removed off both mating surfaces before buttoning it back up.... Never have a problem with leaks. Which reminds me of a story. My first bike was a '53 Aerial Square Four, and the sump cover never had a gasket. I remember working the cover on a plate of glass with toothpaste to insure that the cover...which did warp a bit... was absolutely flat.... Still leaked once in a while.... :)

Can you elaborate? I know nothing about that particular product, but the idea sounds good. Why do you state it has those limitations?

Goose

The Product sure works, (Loctite allways does a very good Job) but forming a 1 mm thick Gasket out of a more or Less liquid Material is not the best Idea when there are better Options available. Of Course, out in the Desert that another Story. I'd use this Product or what i stated above to probably save the Gasket when i need to undo the Cover next Time. A Product which is sticking will be contraproductive in this Matter.

Limitations are ...

Stator Cover without a Gasket will cause the Axles from Starter Gears to drag.

Clutch Cover without a Gasket can scrape at the inside of the Cover.

Waterpump is combined Gasket which Seals the oily Part to the Outside and the Coolant from leaking into the Oil.

Middle Drive Gear Cover might Work, i never tried it, because i buy my Gaskets in more or less bulk

I installed the PCW Heavy Duty clutch spring kit.

It went in very easily, thanks to good tech articles with great pictures and the info that came with the kit. (And great pointers from V7Goose at Don's MX day - thanks Kent!)

It completely fixed my slipping clutch!! Yahoo!!!

I put the gasket in dry, after cleaning the parts carefully and completely. No leaks.

I did replace the half plate with the full plate one in the kit. I don't know if I would of had to, but I did while I had it open, and it worked - and that's what really counts.

:thumbsup2: