IGNORED

Mirror busted!!!!

paul gale

Two weeks ago I didn't extend the sidestand all the way, it folded, and the bike fell onto the table in the garage, breaking the left-hand mirror. I learned my lesson!

Went to Bike Bandit, saw that a new mirror is $206 -- no way, Jose! I can do better than that.

Went to eBay and bid on one, and won the bid for, let's say, considerably less than $206. The bidding was contested, though not too badly.

I now have a less-than-perfect mirror, but in good enough shape to do the job.

One must be patient when bidding on such items, though. Auctions must take their course.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I bought my 83 recently and it only had one mirror. I bought aftermarket mirrors for $19 each, and just retapped the mirror mounting holes in the original bases to a 10 mm thread.

Be sure and look at the OEM mirrors to ensure that you don't get the Yamaha specific left-hand thread on the left mirror (or is it the right ??). Either way, if you can get the original base tapped to the larger 10mm thread of the replacement mirror, you can solve your problem for under $40.

Don't have a 10 mm tap ? Find someone that is a millwright, tool & die technician, or millwright. Still stumped ? Find someone that works in a plant/factory somewhere, and offer $10 if they can get the bases tapped by their maintenance department. It's less than a 5 minute job.

My deepest apologies for not providing pics... I haven't taken any since I installed them.