IGNORED

OIL?????? Whats Best???? What to use???

Motorcycle oil is ridiculously overpriced. Shell Rotella T diesel oil is as good as anything going. It comes in both regular and synthetic, so take your pick. Regular is about $9 a gallon from Mallwart. Diesel oil does not have the friction modifiers in it that will ruin a wet clutch, and it still has high levels of zinc in it. Do not use any car oil that says "for gas engines" on the side of the bottle.

It's hard to say that there is any "bad" oil any more; just some are better than others.

I bought my '07 RSV with Rotella Synthetic in it and with 4k miles on the oil. The tranny was so noisy when shifting I started a thread about it. Soon after that I changed to Amsoil 10/40 (MCF) and the tranny immediately started shifting as smooth as the one on my Road Star. Could have been the oil; could have just been that it was because of the miles on the oil.

Motorcycle oil is ridiculously overpriced. Shell Rotella T diesel oil is as good as anything going. It comes in both regular and synthetic, so take your pick. Regular is about $9 a gallon from Mallwart. Diesel oil does not have the friction modifiers in it that will ruin a wet clutch, and it still has high levels of zinc in it. Do not use any car oil that says "for gas engines" on the side of the bottle.

:sign yeah that: Been running it in my Ventures for years, I have used the Dino stuff on the older ones, never had any problems with it :happy34:

I've used Rotella in my dirt bikes for years. Like has been mentioned, it doesn't have all the friction modifiers found in regular automotive oil. I know its time to change when gear shifts aren't as smooth as they should be (dirt bikes don't have odometers).

I have had excellent results with Amsoil 10-40 Motorcycle Synthetic. Runs cooler and quieter, clutch and shifting work great.:lightbulb:

I've also use the Amsoil 10w40 in the engine and Amsoil gear oil 80/w90 in the rear end, so far so good.

They say you can go longer between oil changes, but I change mine at about 8,000 Km, just to be on the safe side.

Ian

All three of the Wall-Marts in driving distance from SquidAcres have a spot on the shelves for the gallon bottles of ROTELLA T Syn, but the shelf is empty every time I have gone in.........

I guess I should go find a truck stop. Oil change time is coming up soon.

I was in Sam’s Club last week and they had the Rotella T Syn. 5w40 on sale, three gal box for 27.74. I got 21 gals for less than $10.00 a gal. I have been running Rotella 15w40 for the last 50K, but I will now be running the 5w40 Syn for the next 100K.

Earl

:mo money: