IGNORED

Update on Metzeler tire failure and replacement

midnightventure

Last year I had a Metzeler tire start cracking pretty bad. After a 3 week fight with them and threatening to go on every forum in the country and telling about it they finally had Parts Unlimited ( their USA distributer) send me a new tire. I kept it in the original wrapper until about a month ago when the Avon I had replaced the first one with wore out. Now after 2400 miles the brand new Metzeler is starting to crack down at the bottom of the treads. Metzeler has started putting the air pressures on the first page of their website and I had aired it to that recommendation. (45 rear 40 front). This tire and the first tire were both made in Germany. I am going to call and tell them about it but at this point if they offered me 10 new tires I wouldn't take them. My Dr 650 has Metzelers

on it but it is so light I'm sure they will be fine.

Just plain junk on the Ventures, I have said it time and time again. Although many folks dont know me, I will NEVER recommend Metzlers to anyone. Metzlers responce to all that have complained is you run your pressure too low. Thats fine, I'll be the worst word of mouth to their company that I can be. Good luck with them, they suck to deal with, you might just have to bite the bullet and get a different set of tires and chalk it up to experience

:confused24:

Guest ReinyRooster

After the problem I had with the fist-sized chunk coming off my Metzler, and the BS they gave me afterwards, I will never own or recommend them either. Am very happy now with the Avons.

I am in total agreement I won't buy another Metzler again.

Air pressure my butt, There trying to cover theres.

We really like these AVON VENOMS and the NAVIGATOR

notice the difference right away.

Keep getting the word out to other riders, I do at every

ride I go on and see a set on a bike............Ron

OH GREAT!!!! :crying: I JUST bought and mounted Metzlers on my 83 THEN I read this!!!! :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I guess I will watch these lemons and see if they last OR NOT!!! DAMN~!

I wouldn't stress out Bill. I've been ruinning ME880s for a couple years and love them I have an '89. I'm starting to think this is a problem with the tires for the 2nd Gen. I may be picking up a 2nd Gen in the next couple weeks and based on al I've read I will probably go with Avons on it but I have nothing but great performance out of the ME880s on the 1st Gen.

I wouldn't stress out Bill. I've been ruinning ME880s for a couple years and love them I have an '89. I'm starting to think this is a problem with the tires for the 2nd Gen. I may be picking up a 2nd Gen in the next couple weeks and based on al I've read I will probably go with Avons on it but I have nothing but great performance out of the ME880s on the 1st Gen.

Not wanting to be a stickler, but Mother and Rooster both have 1st gens and have had this happen. I know of 2 different guys on Harleys that have had the problems too. Best piece of advise is check your tire pressure often and keep them maxed inflated. I really dont want to see any of our members have to go through the crap that others before them have endured.

Not wanting to be a stickler, but Mother and Rooster both have 1st gens and have had this happen. I know of 2 different guys on Harleys that have had the problems too. Best piece of advise is check your tire pressure often and keep them maxed inflated. I really dont want to see any of our members have to go through the crap that others before them have endured.

I had the problem with chunks coming out of my metzlers and now run Avon's and love them. I know several others with roadstars and vstars with the same problem. I don't think it is just the 2nd Gen's with the problem. I can't understand why with at least 3 yrs that I know of with these reports that they don't take heed and fix the problem or get out of the tire business. They are playing with peoples lives.

My Local dealer tells me metzler builds tires both in Germany and Mexico. Apparrently if they are built in Germany they are good tires BUT IF THEY ARE BUILT IN MEXICO THEY ARE JUNK AND THESE ARE THE ONES HE HAS SEEN A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH
it is my understanding that the other plant is in Brazil. Maybe Mexico also. I don't know about that.

i had mine go with 3000 or so miles on it while out on the highway. i was lucky my wife and i did not go down.

after too many emails and voice mails i finally got a call back from a guy with attitude. got the runaround, attempted to carry out what was requested, finally got a return call from another guy and got the run around again. i gave up.

i also have another Metz story, my best friend on his Harley had one let go also. thank god someone was looking out for him and Gord and his wife did not go down either.

i now run Avon front and Dunlop rear. my buddy swears by Dunlop.

and yes we always kept the Metz at the website rated air pressures.

cheers, Scott

I have them on My bike, just a little over a year and with over 9000 miles on them. I see no problem with them.... A whole lot better then the OEM that came on here... Now I do know my back one is Made In Germany, and it looks like the front was made in Brazil...