My "what are the differences" post has kind of splintered off to talk of tires so I thought I would start a new thread about tires for gen 1 ventures.

I have a 1989 VR and the existing size tires are Front 120/90-18, and Rear 140/90-16. I have searched the site and haven't found the definitive answers I've been looking for so I'll pose them here.

1. Where is the best place to buy tires (best, not necessarily the cheapest)? I'm not afraid to install the tires, and I'm not afraid of shopping online either.

2. I have decided to go with the Dunlop elite 3, but I can't find a vendor that lists the 140/90-16 online. Is there another size that firts correctly? Southwest Moto doesn't list the size tires I need in the elite 3 model.

3. From what I have read and found there isn't an Elite 3 in a 120/90-18 size for the front so what is the best option? Pirelli, Dunlop 404, or Avon (if Avon what is the correct size, and tire model name?)

I am a rookie to street bikes, therefore I do not anticipate being too aggressive on the road. With this in mind, I don't need the "ultimate" performance tires, but I do want good solid tires.

If possible lay this out like I'm 3 years old, and don't know diddly about purchasing a tire.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Chris, as i understand it, the "elite 3" is not available for the front tire, as of today.

the elite 3, is available for the rear, and is a very good tire.

most people prefer "avon venom", tires for the mk2's.

a combination of the two, seems to be the accepted application, at this time.

hope i helped, just a little.

just jt

I've purchased tires from Tires Unlimited for about 5 years and have always had quick delivery, great pricing and quality product.

Yes. The Elite III's aren't available in the fronts, but the RWL Elite II's still are.

Here's the front (for about $125.) http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Dunlop/dunlop_491.htm

For the rear, you can go with the Elite III (Bias) here: http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Dunlop/Dunlop_EliteIII.htm

I find this Dunlop combination to give me good performance and the reliable wear I've always had with Dunlops.

Murph'

84 & 86 Royale

I bought a set of Continental Conti Tours, front and rear, from American Motorcycle Tire: http://www.americanmototire.com/ .

They were quick and efficient, and arrived three days after my order, with no problems.

The tires were TK16 front, TK17 rear, meant for cruisers and tourers. So far so good with them. The rear is belted, just as the Dunlop Elite II and the Metzeler 880, an advantage in longevity.

Just my $0.02. I have an 88 Venture Royale.

Guest Brad25ca

Metzeler 880, but make sure they are straight form the manufacturer, made in Germany not another plant. Most dealers can buy direct.

I'm gonna get it for this.....

I buy all my tires from Ronayers.com. Prices and service are good. I am on their email list and they run specials every month or two. I ordered one tire that I knew was needing replacement in the next few months during a special and saved shipping - 12 bucks. Another time, they ran an overstock special on the exact E3 for the back of the Venture, so I grabbed one as it, too, was coming due for a change.

There is an old system of tire sizing that used letters to denote the width. I don't for the life of me know why, but Dunlop, in their infinite wisdom, offered the Elite 2 tires for years with mixed sizing - some sizes in letter sizing and some in number sizing. They have seen fit to carry that tradition on to the E3 tire. Check out this site:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm

You can see that you need the E3 in MU90-16.

I ran the Pirelli MT66 on the front of mine, in the absence of a suitable E3. It's got maybe 12,000 on it and still going. It's not gonna give excellent mileage, maybe 15K, but it is cheap at around 60 bucks. I've run them before and the handling is good. I might try the Avon next.

Jeremy

Now that we are all discussing tires for the lst edition, does anyone know who makes a raised white letter matching set? And from where they may be obtained.

\

Matching? Not in the Dunlops. You can still get the RWL for the front in an Elite II. The Elite III Bias are all BW as far as I can tell.

I went to http://www.ronayers.com and for the elite II they have a 120/90-18, but it is listed as a rear tire. Is there any difference between the front and rear designation, or is it just the size that is important?

EDIT:

I found the tire at ronayers that I think I need. Using the link that gearhead posted I found that I need an MR90-18 front tire, and like he said they have it in a RWL tire.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by pilothawk

Hi,

I put a bridgestone S-11 on the back of our '86. Installed easy enough, balance was great and the tire seems to be performing great also. Have about 3500 to 4000 miles on it. I know that sounds like a lot but tire holding up great. Not bad for 90.00.

Opinions are like well...everyone has one. I've taken into consideration all the ones you guys have been willing to offer and I appreciate it tremendously!

After searching a while it looks like the best pricing on the tires I want are at ronayers.com. The easy decision was the rear elite 3 in the MU90HB16 size as most of the members here highly recommend it and report that it gets decent mileage. I also plan on going with the pirelli MT66 in the 120/90H18 size for the front versus some of the others because of the positive reviews, and the price.

You guys have been very helpful, and I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

The E3 doesn't wear decent, it wears excellent - you're not gonna touch that kind of mileage with any other tire, in my experience. Good choice.

You asked about front vs. rear. I've wondered the same thing. They are different in tread depth (rears are deeper). I think the profile (curvature) might also be different. A front would probably wear out quickly on the rear, but I wonder what it would be like to put a rear on the front? Probably wouldn't handle well.

Jeremy

Okay I know this is going to open up a can of worms, butttttttttttt. Has anyone in the group tried installing a 170/80r15 on a venure or RSTD. Looking at different fitament guides it sounds like it would work on paper, but as we all know what works on paper and in reality are two different things. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dave:think:

Got the tires from ron ayers.com today. I just hope they perform as good as they look. I will try do do a sort of tech page with the tire changes to possibly help members in the future. It may be a week or more before I get the tires changed. I work night shift, and start a 6 day rotation after I wake up tomorrow (right now it is still the day before I actually work, until I wake up that is). I'm also waiting on my "ride-on" to get here too. Hopefully with the new tires and the ride-on I won't have to worry about taking the tires to a shop and get balanced. I'll probably stac balance them here at home before I add the ride-on.

Thanks for all your help up to this point!

Chris

Okay I know this is going to open up a can of worms, butttttttttttt. Has anyone in the group tried installing a 170/80r15 on a venure or RSTD. Looking at different fitament guides it sounds like it would work on paper, but as we all know what works on paper and in reality are two different things. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dave:think:

It will rub on the driveshaft swingarm if I'm not mistaken. You also have to pay CLOSE attention to the weight ratings of the tires you install on the Ventures. Different sizes have different weight ratings, and the Venture needs as heavy a tire as you can put on it.

Well I finally had time to get to the new tires for the bike. WOW. Thats all I can say. The low speed wobble is gone, and the tires feel very balanced without any additional wheel weights. That may change once I get it up to 75, but up to 60 they feel great.

I couldn't get the beads broken on the old tires so I took the wheels to the tire shop I use, and they not only broke the beads for me, he was able to install the tires too. Best part was it only cost me $20 bucks to get them mounted, and $10 of that was for a tip since I didn't have to sweat and cuss to get the things on in the heat of the day.

The final drive gears looked good, and I topped off the final drive lube with 90wt gear oil. Other than getting absolutely covered in old road grime and rubber, the job was a cinch.

Thanks for the help, advice, and access to a great web site with helpful tech articles like this one which (http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1393) made getting the wheels on and off the bike a breeze!

Chris

• 1 month later...

i run the same as RandyA, avon on the front and e3 on the rear. the e3 has a higher load rating than the e2. this comination really works well on my 86. tracks straight, very quiet ride and handling is outstanding. have had bridgestones, dunlops, metzelers that failed while doing 65 mph and now this combo that is the best so far.

cheers, Scott