IGNORED

Help kickstand and cooler

Iowa Guy

I got my HF trailer repainted and assembled and the box mounted on top. It works great and follows unloaded along at 80 mph. I am now looking at adding other conveniences like a bicycle kickstand and a cooler on the tongue. My wife and I plan to take a trip west across the state in two weeks to see our son run in cross country in two weeks.

Questions:

I bought a kickstand from Walmart but it doesn't seem to have the right angle for mounting on the tongue. Anybody have pictures of how they mounted a bicycle kickstand on their HF trailer?

What is the easiest way to mount a cooler on the tongue and what cooler is recommended? I know that it must have a positive latch (don't want my ham sandwiches flying down the interstate). Any other recommendations?

Iowa Guy

I never liked the bicycle kickstand on my H/F trailer. It never held up properly or securely. Whenever it was parked at home I just put a cheap jack stand under the tongue. When I finish building my new one I may try and make some kind of drop down stand, hinged at the top and in the center with a slight forward angle when in the down position. H/F sells one similar but I want to make this out of aluminum to save weight.

I never liked the bicycle kickstand on my H/F trailer. It never held up properly or securely. Whenever it was parked at home I just put a cheap jack stand under the tongue. When I finish building my new one I may try and make some kind of drop down stand, hinged at the top and in the center with a slight forward angle when in the down position. H/F sells one similar but I want to make this out of aluminum to save weight.

I wondered about how sturdy the bicycle stands could be. I couldn't find HF trailer stand on their website. What have other people done for a stand?

iowa guy

Ill try to get some better pictures but this is what I had on the computer. The stand I have is from "Northern tools" in Des Moines. Cost me $17.00 when I built the trailer in "97". If you would like to see it I go to Fairfield one or twice a month. I could pull it down if you would like?

Trailmaster sells a cooler rack for their trailers for $45. It just looks like 2 pieces of anlgle iron U-bolted around the tounge. you could probably make somthing like it.

Also, they sell heavy duty vinyl covers for the igloo marine coolers (25, 36 & 48 quart). I purchased a grey cover for the cooler I carry in my hitch rack. Helps keep the sun off, the cooler clean, and no lost sandwiches. I am very pleased with mine.

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/

There are stands on ebay....ebay ..then type in motorcycle camper and there will be at least one listing for the stands.

Regarding the cooler itself. It really doesnt have to be a positive locking one. Just make sure the hinges are facing the front of the bike so it cant open in the wind. All

I have are the pressure close ones with bungy cords ...works fine.

Ill try to get some better pictures but this is what I had on the computer. The stand I have is from "Northern tools" in Des Moines. Cost me $17.00 when I built the trailer in "97". If you would like to see it I go to Fairfield one or twice a month. I could pull it down if you would like?

Oskaloosa! Thats just up the road less than an hour away! How bout if I come see you? That way I can give my trailer a little test run and look at yours for ideas. Send me a pm if you are open to that.

Iowa Guy

I wondered about how sturdy the bicycle stands could be. I couldn't find HF trailer stand on their website. What have other people done for a stand?

iowa guy

Dont waste your time on a single bicycle kickstand, they dont work well, I tried. What I found was a bicycle stand that had 2 legs and folded up. I have pics of it at home, but it wasn't real cheap, but it works flawlessly

:thumbsup2:

This is exactly what i had on my old trailer and works great!

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=KI5001

I ordered mine from Neosho Fiberglass in Neosho,Mo.It cost 29.95 plus freight.

Univ. Jackstand.it comes with mounting tabs so you can bolt it to the tongue but theharbor freight tongue is to wide,so I cut the tabs off and used a bolt down thrue the top of the tongue works great.

For the cooler rack I used some alum. grate and cut to the size I needed,then used two U bolts to hold it on.Good luck Jerry M