IGNORED

A few RSV questions from a newb here

Guest BlueKnightGa6

Guest BlueKnightGa6

Ok there's a wealth of information here but I do have a few questions!

Hopefully within the next few months we'll be a buying a touring bike to replace our Suzuki C50T. The RSV is on the now very short list but a the local dealer is not open again until Tuesday. Besides twice now I've called dealers about an RSV they had advertised and then was shown an RSTD when I got there. Both times I was told "Well I'm a sport bike guy."

Question one is the intercom. Does Yamaha supply any headsets? HD supplies one headset with the purchase of an Ultra Classic and was wondering if Yamaha does too. Is the intercom a PTT or is it VOX? I would assume with a headset plugged in you'd here the radio & CB through the helmet speakers.

Question area two. Luggage liners. Once again, with an Ultra Classic HD includes liners for the saddlebags & trunk. Does Yamaha?

Believe it or not that's about it! I already know most of the specs and differences between the RSV and Ultra Classic. And niether of the above are deal breakers by no means, just curiosity.

I'm lucky that I can get the Ultra Classic Peace Officer Special Edition (NOT a police bike) which is a significant savings for an HD. BUT an RSV which to me is in the same class is an even more significant savings over the Ultra WITH the discount.

The other contender is the BMW R1200RT for some reason! But the wife just isn't warming up to it. Besides it looks like I might need a home equity line just to get the break in maintenance done!

Thanks!

Chris

Yamaha does not provide the headsets or liners for the trunk/bags, but then you will be saving a lot of money over a Harley or Honda--and you get every bit the bike--maybe even more. Yes, you do hear all the audio thru the head sets...not sure about the ptt or vox thing. hope you decide on the RSV...you will not be disappointed--welcome, in advance.

Jim T:welcome1:

I dont own a 2nd gen, 1st gen here, but everyone who has one loves them. The intercom and CB are PTT, and can be heard over the headsets or the dash mounted speakers, as for headsets there are several brands available. Most use the J&M headsets:680:, they can be bought from Wingstuff.com at a very low price of $59.95, and the sound quality is very good in my opinion. You will get lots of those here but that goes with the territory............Welcome to the site and hope to see you posting more, and by the way, Rule #1 here, when you get the bike, you must post pics or else!!!!

Ok there's a wealth of information here but I do have a few questions!

Hopefully within the next few months we'll be a buying a touring bike to replace our Suzuki C50T. The RSV is on the now very short list but a the local dealer is not open again until Tuesday. Besides twice now I've called dealers about an RSV they had advertised and then was shown an RSTD when I got there. Both times I was told "Well I'm a sport bike guy."

Question one is the intercom. Does Yamaha supply any headsets? HD supplies one headset with the purchase of an Ultra Classic and was wondering if Yamaha does too. Is the intercom a PTT or is it VOX? I would assume with a headset plugged in you'd here the radio & CB through the helmet speakers.

Question area two. Luggage liners. Once again, with an Ultra Classic HD includes liners for the saddlebags & trunk. Does Yamaha?

Believe it or not that's about it! I already know most of the specs and differences between the RSV and Ultra Classic. And niether of the above are deal breakers by no means, just curiosity.

I'm lucky that I can get the Ultra Classic Peace Officer Special Edition (NOT a police bike) which is a significant savings for an HD. BUT an RSV which to me is in the same class is an even more significant savings over the Ultra WITH the discount.

The other contender is the BMW R1200RT for some reason! But the wife just isn't warming up to it. Besides it looks like I might need a home equity line just to get the break in maintenance done!

Thanks!

Chris

Yamaha does not include the Items you asked about but they do include a lot of money left in you wallet . I found that the venture saved me about $5000.00. you can buy a lot of headsets and bags for that. You can talk to dealer and get some extras if you pay sticker. But unlike HD you can do some talking and get some took off of sticker.

Welcome to the site. The intercom is an always open mic for both. So as you turn up the volume you will also pick up background noise. There is a device sold for around a hundred bucks called a mic mute. This uses your ptt to open and close the mic. Radio and CB are thru the headsets. But you can switch the radio and cb to the speakers

Edited by BuddyRich

Guest tx2sturgis

For what its worth, when I got my Ultra it came with the headset and the bag liners, and I never used either one.

It even came with a video that explains how to use the stereo and intercom. Watched it once, figured out the rest.

It also came with a nice tool set. I DID use that!

Guest BlueKnightGa6

Thanks to all who answered! I did know that I would be getting my money's worth with the RSV. And yes like someone here said, It'd be just under 4K less than the discounted Ultra from HD. With that kind of savings I can surely buy my own headsets and luggage liners. But now, I've seen the posts that they may not make an '09 RSV. :ignore: I might have to hustle up and find an '08 which wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Thanks again!

i test drove an Ultra Classic and an RSV. I bought the RSV. With the thousands I saved, I found a set of three bag liners (free monogramming) for about 70 bux. (a single side bag liner from yamaha was at least that much.) I'll try to remember the website, but basically, my wife went to yamaha's website and copied exactly the bag item name and googled it.. voila!!

The intercom is pretty much ON all the time, so your mic placement is kind of important. You want to get it as far from wind as possible.

The CB keys up with a button at your left index finger. It blanks out the radio when you key it up. When an incoming CB signal is strong enough to get past your squelch, it blanks out the FM radio output.

It was a lot of bells and whistles to get used to for me. I still rarely use the cruise control. I read somewhere that you only have about 25 cents worth of attention, and sometimes it's just a bit too much sensory overload.

Not sure what kind of helmet you have but I have an Aria and my wife has a Vega, both full face. The earpads are removable on both, and it's almost like they were pre-engineered to accept the little speakers from the J&B Cycles headsets. It was pretty amazing how easy it was to install the headset/microphone in the Aria.

Good luck with whatever you end up with. enjoy it! Ride safe.

Guest BlueKnightGa6

Thanks Papa Smurf. That was some great information! The portable intercom we have now is Chatterbox so we're well versed about mic placement!