IGNORED

Turning corners with Venture

Guest Eviljester

Guest Eviljester

I will be getting my bike within 2 weeks. Got my other bike stolen and was thinking of buying the Venture S 2008. Some people are saying when you are at low gear and need to turn the bike is hard to maneuver. Is this so? I use to have a Vulcan LT and had no problem whatsoever with corners or whatever. Just curious on people owning the Venture what you think.

cheers :thumbsup2:

Guest redknight13

I agree with Ferrantelli, go buy the RLP video, it'll show you things that you wouldn't belive but you need to practice the techniques. You'll be amazed at what the women riding full dress Harley's are able to do without effort.:Venture:

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned the tires here. It is almost universally agreed upon that the stock Brickstone tires cause the biggest problem with that slow speed heaviness. I won't go into a lot of detail here, but you can find LOTS of information on that with a search.

So, the Venture comes with either Dunlop 404 or Bridgestone Exedra tires stock. The Dunlops are just average tires, but they don't particularly make the bike top-heavy at low speed the way the Brickstones do. My advice is simple - if the bike you plan to buy has the Dunlops, just take it and wear them out, then buy either Avon or Michelins. If it has Bridgestone tires, try to force the dealer to put ANYTHING else on it EXCEPT Metzelers (very dangerous - do another search here). You should be able to swing this as part of the purchase negotiations. If not, immediately buy new Avon Venoms and have them changed, then sell the Brickstones for whatever you can get while they are still new - even if it is only $30 each, that is still better than riding on them! Whatever you do, DON'T decide to just keep the Brickstones until they wear out, it ain't worth it! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

As you are from Québec, i would simply suggest you to follow the MOTO-PRO course given by the FMQ (federation motocycliste du Québec. I have own up to now 3 first gen. and each time I change my bike i do follow it it is only +/- $100 , it is given on full day, either saterday or snuday and at the end of the day you can do an eight figure in a four parking lot space. ( 2 front to front ). If you need further information, contact me and i will be glad to direct you

Richard

Just get the RLAP video above. Watch it.

PRACTICE it!!!

Attend a Motorcyle Safety Foundation rider course where you ride your bike!!!!

Practice!!!!!!!!

These bikes are NOT "top heavy" IF you know how to ride one.......

Practice!!!!!!!

I am only 5'3" with short inseam and didn't really have a problem with it. SlatyDawg said there are 2 fixes, actually there are 3....if you are pretty tall, leveling links work great but if you are short as I am, lowering the front end works great and cost nothing to boot.

I am a ne rider too with a 99RSV and I thougth turning would be difficult but as I got more experienced and reviewed the RLAP video and learned to ride correclty it got a lot easier to make those difficult turns. Having the correct tire and shock air pressures is important too and should be checked regularly. Have fun and be safe.

Practice practice practice. Thanks what empry parking lots are for anyway.

jb:thumbsup2:

I have an '86 Royale, and think it is a very maneuverable bike at slow speeds. Now. When I first got it I thought it a handfull, but I got the Ride Like Pro DVD and practiced, and now have fun flinging my bike around.

When you really learn to lean, and how to countersteer, you will start enjoying some of the low speed turns on your routes. I regularly drag my pegs and people I ride with that have sport bikes are usually amazed at the angles I reach. It is fun, and as long as you keep in mind the surface (don't try wild angles on gravel for instance) and watch speeds, you will be able to take any big bike and not worry if it is top heavy or not.

Practice Practice and another Thumbs up to the New Avon Venoms..Yesterday riding the mountain roads i was U turning on very narrow roads..no problem....Friend of mine blew his Brigestone on his Roadliner but wasnt fault of tire..he cut it on a sharp rock..Hes OK got it from 75 to 0 in a few seconds.

Hi, Dave.

After riding for about two weeks on my new Avons, I can tell you that JUST switching tires will make all the difference in the world.

I've owned and ridden about 15 different models/brands of bikes during the 47 years I've been a biker, and as in all of life.....everything is relative. And, relatively speaking, the Venture IS top heavy. Not to mention........it's just plain HEAVY. You add two riders totalling 300 pounds, and you're wheeling well over a thousand pounds down the road. And, especially with the 'stepped seat' configuration for the passenger, this load does NOT have a low centre of gravity, by ANY stretch of the imagination.

This design characteristic (combined with 'relatively large profile tires) results in "awkward" handling at low speeds. It's a fact that can't be denied. You can take all the riding and handling courses you want but there's no escaping the fact that the bike will simply handle more 'responsively' if you put different (from stock) tires on it.

My new Avon Venoms made all the difference in the world (from my stock Dunlops). (A world of thanks to Squidley, a.k.a. Brad, for not only convincing me, but actually mounting them for me.) I can now do figure eights in parking lots where before, I was terrified to pass between two parked cars. The bike has gone from handling like a log, to handling like a leopard. At Brad's suggestion, I also went with the downsized 130 width version which makes the front end particularly 'nimble'. (although there is a bit of a trade-off in highway stability).

In a perfect world, (you know, where money's no object), since the front wheel is pretty quick to remove, I'd have a 150 size front for highway cruising mounted up on one wheel, and a 130 for blasting around town.

The bottom line is, there are two or three or four ways to make the Venture a little more nimble than it is when it's box stock: change the tires.....reposition the fork tubes.....alter the fork angle (rake) using load levellers (altering the height of the back end).....or change the actual tire size.

All of these factors can be, and are, complicated by whether or not you ride with or without a passenger......with or without a trailer......at slow speeds around town.....or very high speeds on the highway.

Fortunately or unfortunately, what it mostly boils down to is trial and error.....and personal experience. Once you own your new bike, you'll play around with all these variables and find what's right for YOU!

Have fun......and ENJOY!!

Mike

I will be getting my bike within 2 weeks. Got my other bike stolen and was thinking of buying the Venture S 2008. Some people are saying when you are at low gear and need to turn the bike is hard to maneuver. Is this so? I use to have a Vulcan LT and had no problem whatsoever with corners or whatever. Just curious on people owning the Venture what you think.

cheers :thumbsup2:

I have to go along with the practice thing. Just find a nice big empty, clean (sand sucks) parking lot and practice turns, stopping, etc. These bikes have their own little quirks. The big thing I have always found riding anything, is get comfortable with it. The more comfortable you are on something translates into confidence in my opinion. If you're confident in your riding abilities, you're going to enjoy getting out there. So just practice alone at first and then when you feel good, put someone on the back and practice 2 up.

I DO BELIVE THE KEY IS TO PRACTICE. i 1SR THOUGHT THE BIKE WAS A BEAST. aFTER RIDING IT FOR A YEAR I HAVE NOTICED WHAT IT CAN AND CANT DO. aLL WAS FROM PRACTICE. tHE LAST THIS THAT MY INSRUCTER FROM THE M.S.C. SAID TO US WAS "DONT THINK THAT YOU RIDING HERE FOR 8 HOUR MAKES YOU A GOOD RIDER. yOU NEED TO TAKE IT SLOW AND PRACTICE." THEY HAD THEIR GOLDWINGS LAYING OVER TO THE POINT THAT I THOUGHT THEY WERE GONNERS, RIDING THE COURSE WE WERE ABOUT TO TAKE. wHEN THEY GOT DONE HE SAID " I JUST WANTED TO SHOW YOU ALL THAT THE SIZE OF THE BIKE DOESN'T MATTER, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING".

PRACTICE

It may just be me but I read all the "top heavy" "hard to handle" post on here before I rode a Venture and I was a bit worried. I was riding (and still am) a Road Star. After I got the '07 Venture I was surprised that I throw it around almost like the Roadie. To get to my garage I have to drive past the right side of my truck and then turn in front of it, between the truck and my wifes car with about 8 ft of space. And this is on an incline also. I have no problem. Maybe it's the bike or the tires. I guess they (or we) are all a little different.

I conquer with "practice, practice and practice". Picked up my 08 in November of 07 and got the DVD for Christmas (big hint from the wife) the first 500 km were in a parking lot doing the RLP routines. Coming from ripping around on an 800 Vulcan, the RSV at first was little intimidating to a 5’7” guy but no worries now (does not mean I’m still not learning more as I go but it helped a lot). PS - Avon’s are order as well (big believer in their performance).

In addition to all of these helpful technical findings... the thing which made the most difference for me was the addition of the Barons riser and Star Bar. Having the handle back and up more gave the machine a much improved handling profile. It felt like it all of a sudden had power steering.

Many folks have gone full bore and performed the "Flanders" make over, which in my estimation is probably the best way to go. But... I did not have $650 balloons :mo money: to accomodate the swap. The risers and bar cost about 175.00. I would suggest ordering longer cables for the push-pull at the throttle.

All in all. If you do reduce the tire size, install the lift links, and do the riser alone (using the stock bars) - you will have a much better handling machine. Good luck and be well. Safe riding to you.

I submitted to soon. I cannot agree more with Ferrantelli and the boys... RLP is withouta doubt worth two times what we pay for it. The Motorman is the Man!!! Order it today, you will not go wrong. See ya. Till next time... Keep it up... Straight... and Rolling.

Tak'r easy,

Busta.:Venture: