IGNORED

Ontario Fall Colour Ride

Guest TFD69

Sorry Brad, I cannot save to an earlier version.:bang head: Those without a garmin will have to settle for riding the old fashion way:bawling:. I will have copies of the route printed out for Sat:biker:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the guy in front knows where he's going, that's all that matters. Just don't put Carl up there, he likes gravel roads. :doh:

Ah come on, was just trying to let you see what the real Onatrio is all about, and give you some practise for the upcoming adVenture. We spent our vaction in that land where we are headed, and if you just happen to miss a turn, you'd better be able to ride'em cowboy.

Steve check your email !

Brad

Checked my email, nice work but hold on for a bit, been out checking some new roads and might tweak the original route a bit:biker::biker::biker::biker:

Just a heads up, the Best Western in Bancroft reports to have several rooms still available. In case some one was thinking about coming but had not booked a room as yet.

Anyone riding Saturday that is arriving Friday night is welcome at my place for coffee. If you arrive early enough you could make it for dinner. Let me know so I can prepare.

If any of the long distance riders needs a place to stay Friday night let me know by PM. I make the same offer to anyone who may not want to make the long ride home Sunday after a full day in the saddle. Got two bedrooms open, a Queen and a Double bed. There are 2 Queen sized air- mattresses with sleeping bags for the overflow as well.

This offer of accommodation is on a first PM basis. Once the hall ways and spare floor space is spoken for all other comers will be turned away at the door:cold::cold::cold:

The leaves are beginning to change :dancefool:

Guest BluesLover

Hey Dogman, I was up that way myself this past weekend (trip report follows). I did pass two RSVs along the route (might even have been the same RSV, just going in a loop similar to the one that we did but in a reverse direction!!!).

For the past couple of years, two of my ex-coworkers and I have got together for a "fall ride" - ok, so what it really is, is mostly an excuse to tell a bunch of lies about work, to drink a lot of beer and to get together and catch up on the various goings-on of the past 365 days. One of the fellows lives in Sault St Marie and the other in Oakville, so we typically pick some place in the Muskokas. Last year, it was French River and this year we decided to be based out of Parry Sound.

I left St Thomas around 8 on Friday morning, and took the "long, flower sniffing route" to meet Roger in Milton. From there he and I took the less travelled roads to get up to Parry Sound, where we met up with Don (who already head the cold pops on ice for us). Friday was a beautiful day for riding, regardless of where we were.

When we got up on Saturday morning, it was overcast, but we ventured out without the rain gear on. We had not got very far before we stopped and put it on though, and it stayed on for the duration of the day. It never really rained hard, and if course, nothing could put a damper on the ride itself. We headed east from Parry Sound on Hwy 518 - like a real good lady, this road knew exactly how to tease you. It was too bad that a big chunk of it was freshly done in "tar and chip" which meant that we had to take those parts are pretty slow speeds. But then, out of the blue, there would be freshly paved portions where we could open up bikes and rock and roll on down the road.

At Sprucedale, we caught CR2 down into Huntsville. Another very nice mix of twists and dips, and the colours along the trees were really starting to become more and more bright. After a quick breakfast in Huntsville, we continued our trek east along Hwy 60 and Algonquin Park. Almost the entire length had us driving in a steady rain, but the colours and the rock formations were still quite a site to see.

We tried to grab lunch in Whitney, but the restaurant was packed - a lot of people were coming in out of the rain - so we decided on continue on and see if we could get lunch in Bancroft. Just out of Whitney, we caught Hwy 127 south to Maynooth and then Hwy 62 into Bancroft. Again, some great scenery and some nice riding along both of these stretches of road. After lunch (some great homemade chili at TO's Pub in Bancroft) we started the return leg of the trip, by catching Hwy 28 until the intersection of Hwy 118. This is a beautiful road to ride, going through Haliburton and Bracebridge - good pavement, great scenery, good dips and gentle rolling turns.

And of course, a trip to this area would not to complete with doing the Peninsula Road (CR7/632) between Port Carling and Rosseau. At the end, the last couple of miles coming into Rosseau has some really tight turns, so that gave Roger the chance to open up the FJR and test out its "sportability" - Don on the cruiser and me on the "geezer glide" were scraping our floorboards at just about every turn and we couldn't keep his tailights in sight!

At Rosseau, we picked up 141 (another nice road), and then Hwy 69/400 back into Parry Sound. It wound up being a 500 km day, with some great roads, some good food, some good laughs and yes, a bit of rain but that really didn't affect us. The fall colours are already out in full bloom, especially as you go east and a bit north - through Algonquin Park, for example, I would say that they are at the 70 to 80% level.

This morning, we got up again to a thick mist, but the forecast had said that there was little chance of real rain, so I chanced it without the rain gear. We parted company with Don at about 8:15 - he heading north along Hwy 69, us heading south on the 400. We had the mist and overcast skies until Port Severn, and then sunshine most of the rest of the way home. I got in the door at home just 5 minutes after noon, after having waved good bye to Roger as he turned off at the Trafalgar Rd exit on the 401. Don got the mist and cool temps until Sudbury, but the sun came out for his run on Hwy 17 to the Sault.

Yet another excellent adVENTURE (and the RoadSofa is now very, very close to cracking the 70,000 km mark...)

Pictures can be found at:

[/url]http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/BluesLover55/2008%20trips/Hernden%20and%20Roney%2008/

Cheers,

OK everyone, I've emailed out the info for the ride this Sat so please check your mail

Dogman check you Private Messages

BradT how is the arm tugging going with our mutual teacher friend :whistling::whistling:

The leaves are a changing :banana: now with just a little sunshine this is going to be an awesome ride :biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker::biker:

The 7 day forecast is for sun and cloud Friday Sat and Sun :cool10: but the temps look to be down around 14 C :cold::cold: . So check to make sure you bring sun glasses, warm clothes and camera batteries. :biker:

I have made reservations for twenty people at the various stops along the way. If less show up it will be OK but more may be problematic. So let me know if you have extras not included in the count.

:dancefool:4 days and counting till we :biker:

Dress warm as here is the weather for Bancroft this weekend. Calling for wet snow today?????????:bang head:

Saturday

http://www1.sympatico.ca/weather/msn/icons2007/framed/50/2.gif

Sunny with cloudy periods

Max. 10°C

Min. 0°C

Sunday

http://www1.sympatico.ca/weather/msn/icons2007/framed/50/2.gif

Max. 10°C

Min. -2°C

Mainly sunny

Looks like we are pulling out of this one, high of 10 on Sat and 9 on Sunday, with some chance of rain,,,,,,,maybe sorry later, but at this point we find that it's not going to be enjoyable,,,,,,endurable maybe,,,,,,if we had to maybe,,,,,,,but to enjoy the ride,very questionable. Was sooooo looking forward to seeing the colors, riding with good company for the weekend and just being out and away, but maybe soon again.

For those of you who are going,,,,,,,,ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Guest BluesLover
Looks like we are pulling out of this one
Mmmmm... for some reason the term "Fair Weather Rider" start to pop into the brain :whistling:.

Take care, and we'll catch you on the warm side.

Cheers,

Guest Swifty
Looks like we are pulling out of this one, high of 10 on Sat and 9 on Sunday, with some chance of rain,,,,,,,maybe sorry later, but at this point we find that it's not going to be enjoyable,,,,,,endurable maybe,,,,,,if we had to maybe,,,,,,,but to enjoy the ride,very questionable. Was sooooo looking forward to seeing the colors, riding with good company for the weekend and just being out and away, but maybe soon again.

For those of you who are going,,,,,,,,ENJOY!!!!!!!!

whimp, whimp...

so is your hotel room opening up?

well i guess we are the first ones home and on the site.

WOW, what a ride. Stephen you have done a fantastic job buddy.

others had cameras going so pics will be posted.

i have almost 1000 km(600 miles) on the odometer after this weekend of riding some very nice and some very winding northern roads.

cheers, Scott and Sherry

Mother, you said it. What a great weekend. The colours, ride and company was superb.

Bernie and I had a great time and really enjoyed meeting all of you and seeing some for the second time.

Thank you Steve, for all the planning you put into this weekend. It was spectacular. We had a great time and look forward to seeing all of you on another ride.

Dave

well i guess we are the first ones home and on the site.

WOW, what a ride. Stephen you have done a fantastic job buddy.

others had cameras going so pics will be posted.

i have almost 1000 km(600 miles) on the odometer after this weekend of riding some very nice and some very winding northern roads.

cheers, Scott and Sherry

I second this! What great riding,:clap2:Just a little cold at times :snow2:but it could have been worse with rain. Thanks Stephen and we will see you soon.

PS: Dianne is starting to thaw?Also it was great to get together with those that came out for this ride. What a great group!!!!!:thumbsup:

Guest Swifty
but at this point we find that it's not going to be enjoyable,,,,,,endurable maybe,

endurable, my a$$...it was thoroughly ENJOYABLE!!!!...like heading out of Peterborough alone at 6:30AM on icy roads and freezing spit to meet the gang for breakfast in Bancroft, and like hitting the occasional gravel road along the way (of course, aply dedicated to the no-show whimps), and like dodging the afternoon rain clouds, and like meeting another fun lovin ventureriding couple (Dave and Bernie), and like developing a new envy for men who bring along their own personal air breathin "hand warmers", and like the straight shot home made by the SWOntario crew who taught some driving lessons to cell phone junkies while exploring the top end of their VRs...yup...THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE...thanks for a GREAT weekend, Steve.

:snow2::thumbsup::snow2:

Edited by Swifty

Yes it was a very good weekend, close to 1,600 km. Thanks, Steve and Marion for the hospitality and great ride, and for the others that made it.

Sorry you missed it Carl, steve even had a couple raods piced out Just for you (Gravel).

My hands are warm ! And some 2nd gens can go when you want them too. And for the driving lessons, that Southern rider was just showing some of his wild side. (remember we won't tell certain people Gary). At Least you got the Truck to pull out of the fast lane.

BRad

and like developing a new envy for men who bring along their own personal air breathin "hand warmers", and like the straight shot home made by the SWOntario crew who taught some driving lessons to cell phone junkies while exploring the top end of their VRs...yup...THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE...thanks for a GREAT weekend, Steve.

I can 'see' you all had a wonderful time together,,, good thing I didn't show up or it might have spoiled the whole works. Thanks Steve for putting it all together and from what I read you have the same thoughts as I do,,,,,, get these Venture Riders trained to ride their bikes well and test them out on some gravel,,,,, that'll separate the men from the boys,,,,,,lol.

Yes, the forecast did not help us come at all,,, but we had more on our plate so I decided to stay put for the weekend,,,, as it was we went out for a 3 hour ride Sunday Aft, and the missus said that it was time to warm up,,, so that seemed to work out for the best,,,,,,,sure was looking forward for the time together though, and to enjoy the ride and the colors,,,, worried and thought about you guys all weekend.

NOW HOW ABOUT SOME PICTURES, SO WE KNOW YOU ACTUALLY DID THE RIDE, AND DIDN'T JUST SIT AT STEVE'S AND DREAM ABOUT IT.