IGNORED

Noise filter gone?

Guest Brad25ca

Guest Brad25ca

AFter a recent tear down of my '86 Royale, I am getting engine noise through the headsets. I can "hear" the spark of the engine. Might my noise filter be toast? :confused24: I made sure I routed everything the way it was, and the ground good too. Any suggestions? :doh: I had a crystal clear intercom/radio/CB until this, and it's pretty frustrating!

Any help would be appreciated

Guest Brad25ca
Sounds like a Ground Problem to me. Maybe you forgot a Wire Connection during the mounting of the Parts ?

That's what I thought at first, but I took the fairing back off yesterday, and I couldn't find any loose grounds.

That's what I thought at first, but I took the fairing back off yesterday, and I couldn't find any loose grounds.

There is a ground on the radio bracket that holds the amp onto the frame. The plastic inner shield goes inbetween it. Check and be sure that that one is hooked up as it is a direct ground to the radio and subsiquently the entire communication system.

Guest Brad25ca

There is a ground on the radio bracket that holds the amp onto the frame. The plastic inner shield goes inbetween it. Check and be sure that that one is hooked up as it is a direct ground to the radio and subsiquently the entire communication system.

That one is attached, but I didn't check the connection at the tuner. Maybe it needs to be addressed on that end...

First off do not, do not tie the high tension wires to the frame, this will cause RF bleed into the frame and give you greave. The check all the audio lines and move them away from any high tension wires, it doesn't take much sometimes.

Guest Brad25ca
First off do not, do not tie the high tension wires to the frame, this will cause RF bleed into the frame and give you greave. The check all the audio lines and move them away from any high tension wires, it doesn't take much sometimes.

I really haven't moved the harness more than an inch during the whole process, and I have gone back and repositioned it to the spot it seems to have started at. I guess I'll have to tear it down again.

Guest Brad25ca

OK, took everything apart again, and followed the cable routing diagram in the service manual to make sure everything is going in the right direction. I am positive things are back to the way they were, and it really didn't take much, half an inch here or there. I chceked the ground as well, and it's making excellent contact. The noise has subsided somewhat, but it is now intermittent. But there doesn't seem to be any logic as to when it cuts in and out, and it's more there then not.

What next...any suggestions?

Every lead (cable, patch cord) is shielded. Could be a broken shield or maybe a shield is not making good contact. Check all your shields with an ohm meter and make sure the contacts are all good at either end. The shield is the coating\covering just under the insulating wrap on the outside of the cable\wire and needs to have good contact at either end. Try a little dielectric grease on the ends.

Guest Brad25ca
Every lead (cable, patch cord) is shielded. Could be a broken shield or maybe a shield is not making good contact. Check all your shields with an ohm meter and make sure the contacts are all good at either end. The shield is the coating\covering just under the insulating wrap on the outside of the cable\wire and needs to have good contact at either end. Try a little dielectric grease on the ends.

Will do...stay tuned

Thanks.

Guest Brad25ca

Ok, after yet another tear down & test, all of the cords were tested and seem fine. I went for a short ride (waiting for a throttle part) and noticed that when I was on a bumpy rode and the bike was constantly jiggling, the noise was gone! but when the bumps were gone, the noise slowly returned. Would anyone agree that seems like one of the connectors is bad? Other than the ground on the tuner itself, which I know 100% is good and the grounds that run through the harness, are there any other grounds I should be looking for?

Ok, after yet another tear down & test, all of the cords were tested and seem fine. I went for a short ride (waiting for a throttle part) and noticed that when I was on a bumpy rode and the bike was constantly jiggling, the noise was gone! but when the bumps were gone, the noise slowly returned. Would anyone agree that seems like one of the connectors is bad? Other than the ground on the tuner itself, which I know 100% is good and the grounds that run through the harness, are there any other grounds I should be looking for?

Should have said this before, oh here goes now,,,,,,the shield on the patch cords run through the round outer ring of the connectors. As time goes on these tend to make less and less good connection, so what I suggest is to take these all out and give them a little pinch just so that they become a little oval. It doesn't take much, just a little. I need to do mine as well, now that I've thought of that for you.

Guest Brad25ca
Should have said this before, oh here goes now,,,,,,the shield on the patch cords run through the round outer ring of the connectors. As time goes on these tend to make less and less good connection, so what I suggest is to take these all out and give them a little pinch just so that they become a little oval. It doesn't take much, just a little. I need to do mine as well, now that I've thought of that for you.

That's a great idea, I never thought of that.

Here we go again!