I am planning to replace my clutch, but after reading all the threads on the subject I am a little confused. I am planning on using the Barnett clutch spring and plates. The service manual calls for a new o-ring, ball and retaining wire. Do you use these parts with the Barnett clutch upgrade? The thread in the tech section said not to use a few parts but I'm not sure if it was for the Barnett or not.

After 61k of riding 2 up and towing a trailer it has begun to slip and I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon, so I am going to replace every thing. I should of had the dealer do this when they changed the clutch basket a couple of years ago.

I live a long way from anywhere I can get parts so I need to have everything before I start.

Thanks for your help.

IMHO you probably only need an upgraded clutch spring. 61,000 miles is almost certainly not enough to wear out wet clutch plates. I have replaced the spring in RSVs between 40,000 and 60,000 miles, and the friction plates measured withing stock tolerance.

If you want the more expensive Barnett upgrade, you need both their pressure plate and springs. The other option is the PCW Racing upgrade. This just replaces the stock spring with a stronger one. Most people who do the PCW spring also replace the half-plate and wave washer in the back of the stack with a full size friction plate. When you do this, you just throw away the retaining wire. No "ball" or "o-ring" involved.

Personally, I'd suggest just calling PCW Racing and order the spring upgrade kit for the Venture. Just follow their instruction sheet and you can do the whole thing in about 30 minutes. Just make sure you have a torque wrench that will measure 70 INCH pounds. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I ditto again with Goose. I did the PCW and ordered the replacement clutch plates just in case. After checking the tolerances, I still have the plates cause there was hardly any wear on the plates themselves. I did this at just right at 50k.

PCW is also very helpful in talking ya through the process and the Tech. area has very detaled instructions!

Ordered parts from PCW today. They were great to talk to and were very helpful. I will let you know how the install goes. Thanks

I have nothing against the Barnett clutch - it is certainly pretty, and I'd like to have the more 'normal' coil spring setup than the Yamahaha flex spring. But how much you gonna see that pretty pressure plate inside the bike? Bottom line is that the PCW spring works great, and it's cheaper. That's why I recommended it. I wouldn't be surprised if that clutch with their spring lasts as long as you have the bike. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have nothing against the Barnett clutch - it is certainly pretty, and I'd like to have the more 'normal' coil spring setup than the Yamahaha flex spring. But how much you gonna see that pretty pressure plate inside the bike? Bottom line is that the PCW spring works great, and it's cheaper. That's why I recommended it. I wouldn't be surprised if that clutch with their spring lasts as long as you have the bike. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Ok, now I am going to jump in :stirthepot::stirthepot:

Riderduke ordered the PCW kit and I helped him install this kit.

There was not one thing about this kit that was an upgrade to the spring.

The packaging the spring (and all the other parts) were in an Yamaha OEM package.

I looked the part number (from the package) up and it was the same part number for the spring on an RSV. :confused24::confused24:

So I do not understand how this is an "Upgrade" on the spring. :confused24::confused24:

Someone please enlighten me

The packaging the spring (and all the other parts) were in an Yamaha OEM package.

I looked the part number (from the package) up and it was the same part number for the spring on an RSV. :confused24::confused24:

So I do not understand how this is an "Upgrade" on the spring. :confused24::confused24:

I hate to question you, but the one thing you said that does NOT match the kits I have done is the spring. It does not come in a Yamahaha bag, and although it is very hard to see any difference between it and stock spring, if you mic it, the PCW spring is thicker. The difference in thickness was also evident when the two springs were held side-by-side. In addition, the end result is a noticeable stiffer clutch pull. So my experience is that the spring is definitely an upgrade. The one new friction plate and gasket are Yamaha parts.

Why don't you call PCW and put the question to them?

Goose

BTW - if Riderduke's clutch quit slipping like everyone else's has who has used this kit, to what do you attribute the improvement, if not the spring?

I hate to question you, but the one thing you said that does NOT match the kits I have done is the spring. It does not come in a Yamahaha bag, and although it is very hard to see any difference between it and stock spring, if you mic it, the PCW spring is thicker. The difference in thickness was also evident when the two springs were held side-by-side. In addition, the end result is a noticeable stiffer clutch pull. So my experience is that the spring is definitely an upgrade. The one new friction plate and gasket are Yamaha parts.

Why don't you call PCW and put the question to them?

Goose

BTW - if Riderduke's clutch quit slipping like everyone else's has who has used this kit, to what do you attribute the improvement, if not the spring?

V7Goose,

First of all, when the clutch started slipping (about 26,000) on my 05, I took my bike into a Yamaha dealer to replace the clutch spring. They replaced it with an OEM spring and that lasted until almost 60,000 mile mark, then I put the Barnette in.

So Riderduke's is currently not slipping, but I do not see this as an improvement, just that the worn out spring was replaced with a new spring.

Second, this was Riderduke's package, not mine and we both were wondering why the spring was packaged with an Yamaha OEM sticker, but we did not question this, because everyone was saying what a great upgrade.

I am just wondering when 01Rider receive his package, if he can verify the packaging and part number.

Because when it is time to upgrade, I would like to go the cheaper route also.

:confused24::confused24:

Yamaha does also make a upgraded spring that is in the Speedstar line of performance parts. It is used in the Warrior and upgraded clutch packages for the Road star. All use the same clutch as us. So it could have a Yamaha part number too. I got mine from PCW and it didnt have one but that doesnt mean it doesnt match the one from Yamaha.

UPS delivered my parts from PCW today and I just went through it. I ordered the clutch spring kit and new friction plates. The clutch spring kit was a new spring and the extra friction plate wrapped together, but in separate packaging, along with a new gasket. The friction plate had the Yamaha stock number on it and it was on top, so I can see how one might think it all was stock Yamaha parts. The spring had no number on it. The number on the single friction plate matched all the others.

The package, with shipping to California was $165. The Barnett, with everything, was around $240 plus tax around here. I called the dealer and they wanted $187 labor to do the job. So this was the way to go I think. I don't think I will have any trouble with the installation, the instructions included and the post in the tech section cover things pretty good.

I should get to it this weekend, so I will post the results after a test ride.

Thanks again for the help.

Did the upgrade today and I just got back from a good test ride. I really like the way the bike shifts now, smoother than before. I hardly notice the stronger pull, but there is a little. I won't even notice next time I ride, it's all good.

The change out was as easy as everyone said. It took about 2 hours because I just wanted to be sure of everything. I won't take that long if I ever do it again. I had my laptop in the garage and just followed the instructions on the tech page.

Another satisfied customer.

Just installed the PCW kit in my 07 RSV and sons 06 RSTD. each about 40k miles.

MAN! what a difference!!!

most difficult part was scraping of the old gasket w/o damage to the aluminum surface.

and - BE VERY CAREFUL with the small bolts!

70 inch pounds is only 5 ft lbs.

i know one of my bolts is 1/4 turn from breaking... whew....

this mod rates a DOUBLE THUMBS UP!:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I don't know jack about PCW... That being said I have been using Barnett Clutches since the 70s and when I needed a clutch I went with what I know is a quality product... The clutch pull is a little stiffer at first but not noticible after a week or two.

If you decide to go with Barnett you won't be sorry...

• 1 year later...

I just received my PCW clutch and the spring is in a Yamaha package #26H-16307-01.

It is a heavier spring though than the stock.

:farmer:

What exactly is PCW's website address? Very interested on keeping this part in my garage until it is time to replace the clutch spring.

They are very prompt...I ordered Wednesday and received Friday. Don't bother e-mailing them, just call. I don't think they monitor e-mail very well.

They are very prompt...I ordered Wednesday and received Friday. Don't bother e-mailing them, just call. I don't think they monitor e-mail very well.

Not sure how I understand the symptoms of a bad clutch spring. So far, if you feel that your clutch is 'slipping', it may just be a case of a worn out clutch spring (?). Some members do not recommend to change all clutch plates, just replace the clutch spring. I do not need the kit, but I'd like to have it on hand. Thanks for your reply.

It's been a year since I did the clutch and it is been good. Pulled the trailer about 3k this summer and that is where I really noticed a difference. Pulled away from the stops nice and smooth and accelerating up to speed was solid. It was an easy fix.

I am replacing all the discs and spring. It slipped a couple times on me in the last month. I have 113,000 miles and had the clutch replaced around 28,000 miles under warranty. I feel the need to replace everything.

I did mine in Aug after the clutch slipped hugely on me.. I changed out everything and then went out on a 4500 mile road trip a few days later.. wowsers.. what a HUGE difference..

i thought my fuel mileage would improve since there would be so much less wasted slipping but unfortunately i got the need for speed syndrome and dropped the hammer when ever possible.. =) Nothing like riding with your hair on fire =)

Awesome upgrade!