IGNORED

deer whistles

waterbug

Guest Ken8143

One of the motorcycle mags did an article on deer whistles of all sorts and varieties. The outcome - none of them make any difference at all in keeping deer away, neither do loud pipes. Don't worry about deer whistles unless you like the looks of them

I have a cousin who claims that the way to go is with mounting tiny brass bells on your ride.

I think she's been smoking crack in the sun again.;)

I've never heard of any effective device that would keep deer from crossing in front of you short of a loaded rifle and a valid hunting license.

a buddy of my brothers has proven the hard wired whistle does work..... but.....

what he did was watched for the family of deer that enjoy eating his garden to show up one evenning then hooked up the whistle and sure enough no more deer. He has left this unit hooked up for days in his yard and his garden is doing very well now.... no deer.

so this proves that the deer will scatter when they hear the whistle.... the problem with being a rider is.... you never know what way they will scatter... I am sure it will scare them.... but what do you want a slow moving happy grazing deer to deal with or a scared freaked out running away deer.....

:canada::63:

There have been alot of posts on these things so in short,I live in Deer country..I dont want ANYTHING to spook them any more than they already are. Deer will scatter ANY direction when unusual noises are present by having one you MAY have them scatter into your path even if they are in the woods nearby and jump out in front of you after hearing the whistle. Bottom line Watch closely,try not to make ANY other noises than you already are making and PRAY!

• 1 month later...

Save your $$$ They do not work. How do I know? The older folks down the road have asked me to move them from one vehicle to another. Since then they hit 3 deer in our area and I and other neighbors have no whistles and I hit one 5 years ago on a ICY winter day. Seen deer nearly 1/8 th mile away but down hill and GLARE ICE I touched no Brakes and blasted horn, let say had venison in freezer that winter.

Back in 06, I bought me a new 05 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab 4x4 pick up. On the 4th week of owning this fine specimen of a man's truck, I decided we needed to take a vacation to Branson, MO. On the first night there, we went to Fuddrucker's for a burger for dinner. After that, we headed over to Office Depot so I could get a new gizmo for my laptop. We turned off the main drag and headed down a side street. I noticed that the posted speed limit was 45 MPH, I was only doing 40. "Hmmpf!", says I, "This is no good! I've got the new Dodge and by thunder, I've got me a Hemi! I need to be doin' 45." I no sooner got it up to 45 when a deer jumped in front of us. It ducked down as if it was going to jump out of the way, but it was too late. I caught it squarely with the bumper and kilt it dead. The only damage to my truck was three small dents in my bumper. All have effectively been covered up by my bash bar that I mounted after the fact. Would a deer whistle or bells helped? I seriously doubt it. We were only four blocks off the main drag. I think the best thing for me to have done would have been to be sure to pack the skinnin' knives.

Schlepporello (who still gets a little anxious when he sees a deer in front of his truck)

A few years ago, the Durham OPP wanted to do a test with deer whistles. They had the stats from the year before, how many miles were logged and how many deer were hit. So that year they installed whistles on 1\2 their cruisers, and the deer encounters were cut to 25% with the cruisers with the deer whistles as opposed to the ones without. The next year all cruisers received the treatment and the deer encounters did do the nose dive, so they all have deer whistles now. Does it make one immune to deer or other wildlife?????? don't think so,,,,but anything that helps for such a small cost is worth the effort. I have 2 on my scoot and will keep them there.

When wild animals are alerted, or scared they will mostly retreat they way they came to that location in the first place, not always, but mostly, if that means across the road, that's the way they're going,,,,,mostly.

Just because you have whistles, bayonets, shot guns, or bad looks, it does not mean that somewhere, sometime, somehow, you might not hit a moose or deer, and it only takes one to put you down and out.

• 6 months later...

Howdy all,

When I was a Deputy Sheriff here in South Dakota, I did not have any whistles on the patrol car, did not ever hit one either. I did write numerous collision reports regarding car vs. deer and many of the vehicles did have the whistles on them. I was involved in aiding an adjoining agency in a pursuit one time at about 3:00 a.m. (hated doing that) and was running all the lights and sirens. I had a deer jump out in front of me and, at the time, I knew it was a close miss. While reviewing the video tape from the dash cam, I was surprised as to how close it actually was. Surprised there was no hair in the headlight trim. I believe that if the siren did not scare the critter away, nothing will. I hope I do not encounter one on the bike.

Dave

The only whistle that I've seen work effectively is the dear whistle...

You patiently wait while your better half gets dolled up for something (or nothing) and you whistle and simply say, "Oh DEAR!"

Works great and better results.

I try not to do it while driving though... too much...