IGNORED

To Swivel or Not to Swivel, That is the Question

Mean Dog

Opinion time once again guys! I have the Piggy Backer trailer now and all the local guys here tell me I need to install a swivel hitch on it for safety reasons... I have looked at the Bushtech trailers (one of the most expensive trailers on the market) and I see that they use the heim joint connection. Although I see the advantage of the heim joint as far as that there would be literally no play or slap with this setup (tighter connection), it still will only rotate approximately the same distance as the standard ball / fixed hitch connection.

Perhaps I am missing something here but, I personally don't see the advantage unless the trailer were to flip. I know that this is a possibility but, seems highly unlikely. I have learned al ot from the people on this site and value you opinions.

Thanks,

Mark

I bought my Piggy back just recently and I have a normal hitch.

I so far have towed it 600 miles home, then to Vogel and back 1700 miles and I even towed it behind my trailblazer (1,000 miles)

Without a Hitch (pun intended, sad I know)

I would not spend the extra money. It tows great.

Brad

Alrighty then! I got it all hooked up today. I used the Venturedad hitch and stinger, the modulite that Don recommended and alot of sweat when I had to cut into the main light wiring harness. Everything works, it sits level and tows great.... The added LED lights are a definite plus. Thanks for everyone's advice...

Mark :322:

Opinion time once again guys! I have the Piggy Backer trailer now and all the local guys here tell me I need to install a swivel hitch on it for safety reasons... I have looked at the Bushtech trailers (one of the most expensive trailers on the market) and I see that they use the heim joint connection. Although I see the advantage of the heim joint as far as that there would be literally no play or slap with this setup (tighter connection), it still will only rotate approximately the same distance as the standard ball / fixed hitch connection.

Perhaps I am missing something here but, I personally don't see the advantage unless the trailer were to flip. I know that this is a possibility but, seems highly unlikely. I have learned al ot from the people on this site and value you opinions.

Thanks,

Mark

About the only advantage to the swivel hitch other than if the trailer fliped would be if the bike were to fall over as happened to me on the way to vogel and I had just put a swivel hitch on before that trip so nothing (other than my foot) on the bike or trailer was damaged.

Arthur

It definitely looks good! I can't wait to finish painting mine to match my 86. Here is something that I recently posted in the "What about trailer brakes?" thread about my experience along these lines.

I have pulled an 83 homemade trailer and a TimeOut "H-D" trailer behind my 1st Gen. They both weigh around 160# empty and , with another couple hundred in stuff, have had no problem stopping or pulling them other than the fact that without a swivel hitch your bike will not lean as far as you might like, and will feel like it's "pushing" you through a turn! I learned this the hard way at Deal's Gap! Didn't crash but I sure sucked up my seat! As you can see from these pics, that's about all the lean I can get without lifting the trailer's wheel!

Best advice: Get a swivel hitch!

You can always add a swivel hitch. Here is a link for one that's $70. It's at the lower left of the page.

http://www.neoshotrailers.com/options.html

Someplace I have more info on swivel hitches but I can''t seem to find it now. When I find it I"ll post it.

Although I currently do not pull a trailer, I have had two previous cargo trailers................. both with swivel hitches. Pulled them both for several thousand miles.

My advice is --------------- buy and install one. There are no negative aspects to it other than the cost of buying it.

I am currently in the market for another cargo trailer -------- I'm also considering the Piggy-Packer. I am wanting a hitch as well, but VentureDad seems to have dropped off the face of the planet. Anyone know the story ??

ken.jo@shaw.ca

I don't know who's trailer it was but at the Vogel ride in someone staying at the Best Western had one tied up that had made their own "swivel".

It looked to me like they had cut the tongue right behind the hitch connector -welded in a plate- put a large 1/2 -mabe 5/8 bolt with washers between the 2 plates which let the hitch part turn. Don Roden and I looked at it. If you used a good grade 8 bolt this might be an idea worth looking into. Now if I have the trailer behind me I also have mama in the back seat so if I get into too much "lean angle" my ribs and ears start hurtin' from the punchin' and hollerin' in the intercom:no-no-no: I don't know who the trailer belonged to but it was tied to the second set of steps down from where Brad ,Redneck ans some of the others were staying. It was a homebuilt with a cartop carrier on it. Someone else might chime in that knows who it belonged to.

I don't know who's trailer it was but at the Vogel ride in someone staying at the Best Western had one tied up that had made their own "swivel".

It looked to me like they had cut the tongue right behind the hitch connector -welded in a plate- put a large 1/2 -mabe 5/8 bolt with washers between the 2 plates which let the hitch part turn. Don Roden and I looked at it. If you used a good grade 8 bolt this might be an idea worth looking into. Now if I have the trailer behind me I also have mama in the back seat so if I get into too much "lean angle" my ribs and ears start hurtin' from the punchin' and hollerin' in the intercom:no-no-no: I don't know who the trailer belonged to but it was tied to the second set of steps down from where Brad ,Redneck ans some of the others were staying. It was a homebuilt with a cartop carrier on it. Someone else might chime in that knows who it belonged to.

I remember looking at that one as well, but I never did find out who owned it.

I thought the idea was pretty good.

AS far as your ribs go I bet they are just starting to heal from this last Vogel trip. :rotf:

Brad

The swivel hitch I had on my cargo trailer (and I loved it) was made by the fabrication shop, what they did was just take one end of one of their axles, weld it into the tongue of the trailer, and weld the ball reciever on the wheel side of the bearing housing.

I guess they figured that if the axle was rated at something like 1500lbs it should handle a couple of hundred pounds (at most) tongue weight with no problem, and since it had a wheel bearing the swivel was always smooth and felt very safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

I have had swivel hitches both on my camping trailer and my Bushtec and I wouldn't ride without one. Yeah a standard ball will cover a good angle but these RSVs like to go completely horizontal when they go over and I have seen some good hitches bent all to H_LL because of this. If you have a swivel hitch, the trailer will stay on the ground. And just the opposite, if for some reason your trailer goes over, it will not take the bike with it.

And for the money and the trouble to build one yourself, get one from Neosho. They have been making bike trailers and swivel couplers for as long as I've been riding a Venture, and their coupler is 1st notch.

Rick

• 1 month later...