IGNORED

Engine or tranny rattles. Normal???

I have a '99 RSV with 38000 mile on it. It has some engine or trans rattle when the bike is idling in nuetral. Kind of a low rattling noise that seems to be getting a little louder this season. I don't here it rolling down the road, the seems to be running perfect otherwise. I would appreciate any thoughts on what I might be hearing and if I should be concerned. Thanks for your help, Buford

May or may not be the engine/tranny. Go over the bike with a set of ball end hex wrenches and tighten everything. You may find the trunk mounts, the chrome rail mounts, engine heat sinks, etc. are loose. It's not uncommon. Cheap fix if that is what it is.

RR

Its definitely coming from the bottom end of the motor. Almost like a small rod knock but only at idle. Throw out bearing rattle maybe. The dealer doesn't know anything but will take and listen to it for 75 bucks and go from there.

Sounds like you may have notches worn in the clutch basket from the clutch plate fingers. If that is what is causing the noise, it will be localized to the right side of the engine below the oil filler cap. It would be very easy to pinpoint with a mechanic's stethoscope, but you could also probably pick it up with a good sized tube held against the engine case and the other end pressed into your ear. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well, it all depends on how bad the notches are. In moderate cases, you can smooth them out with a file or grinder, but that still leaves excess clearance in the basket for the clutch plate fingers to rattle around. And that is a very temporary repair, since the excess space will allow them to notch again much faster. Worse case is replace the basket and all clutch plates AND the inside hub. I'm not altogether positive that notching is your problem, since they also cause the clutch to hang up and not fully disengage or get jerky, an you didn't say your clutch was giving you any problems.

Here is a link to a forum that shows you a notched basket - it is not our bike, but the pictures tell you what I am talking about:http://adrenalintrip.net/ktm-250sxf-clutch-basket-notching/forum/viewtopic/178/253541?siteid=1

At least it doesn't take a lot of work to verify if this is the problem. You can pull the clutch cover with the bike on the side stand and not lose any oil. The clutch pressure plate comes off with only a few bolts, and you just pull out the whole clutch stack and inspect everything. make sure you inspect the inside hub for notches from the steel plates too. You will need to have a new clutch cover gasket on hand, as well as an inch-pound torque wrench to do this job. The right torque wrench is important, since the pressure plate bolts are torqued at LESS than 10 foot-pounds (something like 5.7 ft-lbs or 70 in-lbs). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Buford

My 99 has the same racket, only in neutral. Has had for the last 20K miles if I use oil less than 10W40. Even 10W40 will not take it all out on a very hot day.

As long as your clutch is working smooth, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a '99 RSV with 38000 mile on it. It has some engine or trans rattle when the bike is idling in nuetral. Kind of a low rattling noise that seems to be getting a little louder this season. I don't here it rolling down the road, the seems to be running perfect otherwise. I would appreciate any thoughts on what I might be hearing and if I should be concerned. Thanks for your help, Buford

My 2006 Midnight started to make a 'tin' kind of rattle noise at low rpms, usually when coasting through slow traffic.. Uhtoh...

But it turned out to be the left front fork shroud rattling.. But I don't know how to tighten it down properly to stop it from doing it.. But because I know what it is, I'm not worried about it.. (wrapped it with bungee which stopped the rattling, thus identifiying the source).

If the Noise changes when the Clutch Lever is pulled, the Bearing in the Clutch Pressure Plate is the Culprit. It's a 6003 standard industrial Size but there's no need to hurry up. Just fix it while your doing the Clutch somewhere in the Future.

Thank You all very much! I love this sight. The noise does change with the clutch lever pulled in, its a lot quieter. No problem with clutch performance. I think I'll take the advice and deal with it when I need a new clutch. And not worry about it for now. It all started when I put the stock exhaust on for a trip to the smokies in June. I here all kinds of stuff I don't hear with the Bubs on there! Loud exhaust is back on and that helps the rattling. :duck:But seriously, thanks again for the great advice I really do appreciate it.