I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, here goes, I need to change the plugs in my 2005 RSV. 10k mles the 2 in the back seem to be fairly easy to reach . My question is the 2 front plugs. Do you remove the brace (not sure what is called) that prevents access to these plugs? And if so what problems can that lead to. Also what plugs do you guys recommend? Thanks

hi ken

yep just like goose said, the only think i would add is to use a 3/8 rachet with the metric allen head type sockets. to get to the allen head bolts, you can use the regular type allen wrenches just seams easer to use the sockets. ( the allen head is about 1 to 2 inches sticking out of the holder socket ). you can find these at any auto store / sears tool department. just my 2-cents.

best reguards

don c. ;)

My only question is do they really need changing after only 10K?? I'm not planning on changing mine until around 40K. What say the gurus here??

The manual says replace the plugs every 8k miles. See page 7-3 of the owners manual.

Yup, you need to remove the tank and front dog bone engine mounts to get to the front plugs. Not hard to do at all.

I just use stock NGK plugs; wouldn't waste my money on anything "fancier." :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

and the stock plugs are NGK 4929's. Suppose to change every 8,000 miles untill your 5 year warranty is up. :080402gudl_prv:one more time.

and the stock plugs are NGK 4929's. Suppose to change every 8,000 miles untill your 5 year warranty is up. :080402gudl_prv:one more time.

Just for reference, the 4929 is the stock number on the NGK plugs - the actual reference number from the owner's manual is DPR8EA-9. Both numbers refer to the same plug.

Goose

IMO the NGK Iridium plugs are worth the extra few $s... I've noticed a change in performance going both ways... For example Ok a change to new plugs some will say just changing to new will increase performance... Valid point... but last year in TX I thought I lost a plug and I had a bike shop swap my plugs and I was still on 3 cyls... It needed a coil.. they swapped the coil and when I got the bike back it didn't have the same zip because they used regular NGKs... I've been sold on Iridiums ever since.