IGNORED

Blowing blue smoke.

Check the oil level make sure its not overfull. I would consider changing the oil as well. I have seen bad batches of oil that caused engines to use oil then quit after an oil change. gas delusion will also cause that, smell the oil fill cap see if has a gas smell.

Keep the Oil Level, to 1/2 way between the two bars on the Sight Gauge.

Don't fill over this point. The amount called out in the Service Manual is to much.

Try that and see what happens, before you assume there is some other problem.

When oil gets hotter it also flows better. Whatever problem you have is more noticeable when the oil thins out and gets into the combustion chamber faster.

By all means check for gasoline in the oil - a sticking float can cause that.

Is the oil the proper weight?

The motorcycle may have only 12K miles on it but the valve stem seals have been aging for 20+ years. Could be one of them leaking a bit.

The motorcycle may have only 12K miles on it but the valve stem seals have been aging for 20+ years. Could be one of them leaking a bit.

I was thinking along this line as well, but maybe a stuck ring as well. Are you sure it is not 112k ?

Pulling the plugs should tell which one is burning oil, this Could/should narrow it done to which cylinder if not more than one.

BRad

wow! i knew i could count on you guys. i'll look into all of those possibilities. yes, it is only 12k. it had sat in a garage up on the center stand for 12 years. the story is the second owner bought it and then was arrested shortly thereafter and was sent to prison for a long time. the guy i bought it from put new tires and carb "boots" on it and used it once in a while for a year. i think it was a good deal. again, thanks for all of your help!!:sun1: