IGNORED

front fork seal leak

i'm new at this-what will i need to change be sides the oil seal and springs 84vr

To do the job correctly you also need to change the bushes (I believe Yamaha calls some of them pistons) and seals. You can contact Rick Hafferkamp at http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/ as he has all parts needed and gives members here a discount plus he will give you great advice on the easier ways of installation.

Dick

i'm new at this-what will i need to change be sides the oil seal and springs 84vr

I stopped my fork seal from leaking by lifting up the dust cover and putting a bead of LUCAS POWER STEERING STOP LEAK over the seal then putting the dust cover back in place..it may take a couple of applications and a day or two to set in but it stopped the leak..its been 4 months now, no leak...another guy I know added 2 oz of stop leak to his fork oil and it too stopped the leak...

I never remove the old fork seals, I just super glue (around the outside edge) new seals on top of the old ones. The new seal is lubricated by the old one and it takes most of the pressure off the new one. Lasts 50-75k miles and takes 1/2 the time to install.

I showed this to a sport biker who did weekly seal replacements, doing wheelies all the time. Now he hasn't replaced his fork seals in a year.

I never remove the old fork seals, I just super glue (around the outside edge) new seals on top of the old ones. The new seal is lubricated by the old one and it takes most of the pressure off the new one. Lasts 50-75k miles and takes 1/2 the time to install.

I showed this to a sport biker who did weekly seal replacements, doing wheelies all the time. Now he hasn't replaced his fork seals in a year.

How do you do that ?

The Seal is a U-Shaped Part and the open Part of the U is facing downwards when mounted in the Fork Tube. Now if you try to glue the new Seal above and onto the old Seal, the only possible Contact Area is the outer Part of the Seal, or only one Post of the "U" ?

Or do you glue both flat Areas togehter ?

Installing a new seal on top of the old one. There is plenty of contact surface around the outer OD to apply super glue on the new seal once it is pushed down on top of the old seal. Remove the spring clip and clean all old fork oil off the top of the old seal first. Apply super glue on the bottom of the wiper (dust cover) where it contacts the top of the new seal. They will stay in place and NOT leak.

The leaking old seal lubricates the new seal but reduces the pressure on the new seal making it last longer. It will stick up about 1/2" higher than before.

Installing a new seal on top of the old one. There is plenty of contact surface around the outer OD to apply super glue on the new seal once it is pushed down on top of the old seal. Remove the spring clip and clean all old fork oil off the top of the old seal first. Apply super glue on the bottom of the wiper (dust cover) where it contacts the top of the new seal. They will stay in place and NOT leak.

The leaking old seal lubricates the new seal but reduces the pressure on the new seal making it last longer. It will stick up about 1/2" higher than before.

Just for my understanding:

Remove Dust Cover Wiper(upper Seal)

remove Circlip

clean the Area fat and oil free

install cleaned Circlip

install the cleaned, old Dust Cover back on

apply Glue to the Dust Cover in the Area where the new Seals outer Diameter contacs the Dust Cover

mount the new Seal in standard Direction

put everything back togehter

be a happy Camper

Is this the Procedure you used ?

You still have to pull th elowers off...why not just replace the seal th ecorrect way?

Oh for the original poster. You will need a large Allen key or a metric bolt to take the Top off to get to the Springs. You can do new seals with the forks on the bike.