IGNORED

how clean plastic wrap of chrome?

I got a good deal on ebay for chrome passing lamp shields. It is new old-stock so the plastic wrap ended up stuck to the metal. I tried paint stripper, heat from hair dryer & soaking in laquer thinner to no avail. Anyone have a method that might work?

Edited by dharnie

sounds like the plastic wrap is "melted" on it not just stuck to it..

if you really feel it is being held on with some type of glue / adhesive, spray some WD-40 on an area of one and let it sit for about 10 minutes and see if it loosens the glue up in that area..if it works spray and soak them in WD-40..

:confused24:

sounds like the plastic wrap is "melted" on it not just stuck to it..

if you really feel it is being held on with some type of glue / adhesive, spray some WD-40 on an area of one and let it sit for about 10 minutes and see if it loosens the glue up in that area..if it works spray and soak them in WD-40..

:confused24:

Or peanut butter, or margerine

I posted a photo on my 1st post so you can see the way it was packaged - no its not glued on - yes melted might be more accurate than the plastic stuck on it.

Have you tried warming up the stuff with a hairdrier and pealing it off??

Condor - duh - in my 1st post I said that!

I got a good deal on ebay for chrome passing lamp shields. It is new old-stock so the plastic wrap ended up stuck to the metal. I tried paint stripper, heat from hair dryer & soaking in laquer thinner to no avail. Anyone have a method that might work?

Get an old wash cloth

Ask the wife for her house hold IRON.....offer to buy new one if you damage this one

turn the iron on hot and let it heat up

Cover the plastic on the part with the old wash rag..

once iron is hot, iron over the wash cloth heating the plastic up and it will stick to the rag..

Warning:

flip rag often ......or you will be buying her a new iron...........:thumbsup2:

Condor - duh - in my 1st post I said that!

How thoughtless of me. I guess from now on I'll need to scan through every response to make sure I don't repeat a suggestion instead of just responding to the original post.....Duh??

:stirthepot: so far tried hair drier, paint remover gel, lacquer thinner and suggestions here using oven cleaner, Wd40, carburetor cleaner and open flame.

Have not tried mayo or peanut butter :rotf:! The rag & iron sounds interesting - but any more experiments will have to wait till monday.

:stirthepot: so far tried hair drier, paint remover gel, lacquer thinner and suggestions here using oven cleaner, Wd40, carburetor cleaner and open flame.

Have not tried mayo or peanut butter :rotf:! The rag & iron sounds interesting - but any more experiments will have to wait till monday.

How about just soaking in water, peeling a little off at a time.:080402gudl_prv:

How thoughtless of me. I guess from now on I'll need to scan through every response to make sure I don't repeat a suggestion instead of just responding to the original post.....Duh??

No stick to reading the original post...

No stick to reading the original post...

But with the eyes open & being able to comprehend what is written............

But if your eyesight is going, maybe time to move to something slower, like a 2nd gen.:stirthepot:

Condor,

dont worry my friend.. it's that "age" thing again ..

Hey, at least you and I have an excuse..:whistling:

Try soaking in acetone, perhaps toluene or methyl ethyl ketone. These are effective solvents for all sorts of non-polar substances it can get in between the components of the polymer of plastic.

In order to completely dissolve the plastic, you’d need a stronger and more non-polar solvent.A solvent composition for dissolving plastic comprises at least either isopropyl bromide or n-propyl bromide, and at least either nitromethane or nitroethane. The content of the above-mentioned at least either nitromethane or nitroethane is 5 through 50 wt % with respect to the entire amount of the solvent. So say the experts :detective:

Just be careful with these chemicals.

Good call Drag... M.E.K. ought to do it... we used to clean the valves on the stainless steel tankers I used to haul... M.E.K. would eat through your rubber gloves and make them sticky... Methyl Ethyl Ketone aka PVC pipe cleaner at your local Home Depot.