IGNORED

Thoughts for families of shooting.

sarges46

Guest BluesLover

I'm with you Rick ... just read the news report and indeed a tragic situation.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those affected by this insane act.

Being in Virginia we have a lot of friends who have kids at this school. We spent a good portion of the day tracking down these friends and so far so good. We did find that one kid we know had a roommate that was shot but we have no details. Hopefully the shooter is already in his special place in hell.

Guest scooter38

Absoultly a terror, what makes people do such senseless acts. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who perished and their familys.

Guest CJVenture

I think it was Winston Churchill who said "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

OK, this event, even one short day later, is now history. So what can we learn from it?

I suggest we will face months of finger pointing and blame laying, but that will not bring back a single victim, nor will it prevent another disaster.

Some things that occurred to me: Could it be that we are now reaping the benefits of:

1. 50 years of kids who don't know the meaning of the word "NO"

2. 40 years of so-called "harmless" TV and movie violence.

3. 20 years of extrememly violent, again "harmless," video games.

4. Removal of prayer and Bible reading from the schools.

5. Complete abdication by many parents of their parental duty to teach right from wrong, a sense of God, consequence of our actions.

6. 10 years or so of kids accessing the Internet without any supervision.

I am not one of those who long for the "good old days,"... I love this day and time! But I believe we could raise our children better than we've been doing.

And yes, I do feel for the victims, their families, and all the students of VT. As I heard this morning on the radio, that school will NEVER be the same again!

Charlie

Guest Swifty
What could have been bad enough to touch off something like that?

WHY?

Some things that occurred to me: Could it be that we are now reaping the benefits of:

1. 50 years of kids who don't know the meaning of the word "NO"

2. 40 years of so-called "harmless" TV and movie violence.

3. 20 years of extrememly violent, again "harmless," video games.

4. Removal of prayer and Bible reading from the schools.

5. Complete abdication by many parents of their parental duty to teach right from wrong, a sense of God, consequence of our actions.

6. 10 years or so of kids accessing the Internet without any supervision.

Charlie

Actually, we DO know why this occurs, and although the 6 points that CharlieJV listed above may contribute in some degree to this kind of behaviour, there IS much more to it. If you are really interested in learning more about this topic I recommend anything by Elliott Leyton, leading anthropologist in multiple killings and consultant to RCMP, FBI and Scotland Yard. I use his stuff in my law classes. Funny thing...since Columbine, I can almost count on a real world event such as this happening somewhere in Canada or the USA to use in my assignments every semester. A tragedy indeed. A tragedy that grows more significant as the public learns about the lives that were lost in each of these kinds of killings.