IGNORED

Output shaft problems??

Sometime in the recent past, I believe there was a thread about a problem with the output shaft... I didn't pay too much attention, because I hadn't experienced anything like that described - soooo....

Well now guess what..? Yesterday on my way home from work my drive shaft went out.

I had had some hard shift / torque lash kinda thing the day before and again right before I pulled up to a stop light. I went to pull away when the light changed and no going anywhere! I could hear the shaft spin at the middle gear area but ut was a stripped gear type of sound.

My question is, where can I find the thread where this was discussed before? I tried searching, but no luck, so I am probably using the wrong search terms...

Anyone able to help a feeble minded doofus like me?:whistling:

Sometime in the recent past, I believe there was a thread about a problem with the output shaft... I didn't pay too much attention, because I hadn't experienced anything like that described - soooo....

Well now guess what..? Yesterday on my way home from work my drive shaft went out.

I had had some hard shift / torque lash kinda thing the day before and again right before I pulled up to a stop light. I went to pull away when the light changed and no going anywhere! I could hear the shaft spin at the middle gear area but ut was a stripped gear type of sound.

My question is, where can I find the thread where this was discussed before? I tried searching, but no luck, so I am probably using the wrong search terms...

Anyone able to help a feeble minded doofus like me?:whistling:

I was the one who made those recent posts. I am proud to say the job came out perfect so if I can answer anything I,d be happy to! The manual is somewhat vauge.

If ya want you can pm me and I give you my phone or email. Good luck! :thumbsup2:

Get the rear end removed, pull out the drive shaft, see what the shaft looks like.

If its OK, then probably the U-Joint is gone. If so, you will have to remove the swing arm assembly.

Sombody said, somplace, that there is an automobile U-Joint that will work, cost lots less then Yamaha U-Joint.

I would also consider replaceing the Swing Arm Bearings as long as you are removeing it.

Good time to replace all the Fuel Line rubber hose's also, -----

And, the lower bolts, and bushings for the Rear Shock. ( add zerk fittings for future lube jobs, )

Ok Joel, Brad and George... the ribs are on the smoker... how soon can you guys get here?? I have the bags, rear wheel off... just never tackled the swing arm removal or such...

The drive shaft looks ok George. Anyone got a huge socket you can email me to get that nut off to remove the swing arm?? What size does that take Joel??

Ok Joel, Brad and George... the ribs are on the smoker... how soon can you guys get here?? I have the bags, rear wheel off... just never tackled the swing arm removal or such...

The drive shaft looks ok George. Anyone got a huge socket you can email me to get that nut off to remove the swing arm?? What size does that take Joel??

I have that socket and I can send it to you. (Dont remember the size offhand.) Do you have a half inch drive rachet or breaker bar? Send me a PM with your addy. I will take a look in the tool box when I get home and post the size. (Dont wait up I work late!) The job really is not as scary as it at first seems. Plus when you are done you will have all those linkages clean and lubed. :cool10:

Ok, so it's not the output shaft and does not appear to be the middle gear.

With the bike on the center stand and in first or second gear, you can spin the rear wheel and hear a ratcheting sound out of the area behind the middle gear bearing cover on the left side of the engine, basically there is no connecting between clutch basket and middle gear set. You can spin the rear wheel by hand without moving the crankshaft, the clutch is fully engaged and functional. If I hold the retaining nut of the middle gear attached to the transmission shaft with a socket you can not turn the rear wheel, so I assume the middle gear set is ok. No shavings or filing in the oil when drained.

Any ideas what to look for before we tear the engine out and split the case???

Afte Wheel removed the drive shaft is easy, just remove the 4 nuts that hold the pumpkin on the shaft houseing.

Then simply pull out the shaft.

Next, remove the Suspension each side from swing arm, then start on the big nuts that hold the swing arm in place.

Hopefully the problem will be at the U-Joint,

couple months ago sombody had the Nut come loose that holds the U-Joint onto the output shaft from the Tranny.

If you Pull back the Rubber Boot, you might be able to SEE the U-Joint good enough to determine if thats the problem.

This sounds like exactly what happened to me. There is a spring loaded damper thing in the middle gear that split in pieces. I couls see it by removing the swing arm and looking through the hole where the u-joint comes out of the engine. Not much metal shavings but it was broken in pieces. I think it's called the driven cam. Anyway, mine split into pieces, made a grinding noise and the engine had to be split to repair. Cost me about $500.00.

This sounds like exactly what happened to me. There is a spring loaded damper thing in the middle gear that split in pieces. I couls see it by removing the swing arm and looking through the hole where the u-joint comes out of the engine. Not much metal shavings but it was broken in pieces. I think it's called the driven cam. Anyway, mine split into pieces, made a grinding noise and the engine had to be split to repair. Cost me about $500.00.

Sounds like that could be the trick--- theres a set of gears on ebay right now, could have what you need. Thats called a ratchet cam, keeps things from breaking if the rear wheel is locked up/unable to turn. Otherwise, if you can wrench, you gotta take that piece off to redo second gear and the thrust washer/split clip anyway.

Sounds like that could be the trick--- theres a set of gears on ebay right now, could have what you need. Thats called a ratchet cam, keeps things from breaking if the rear wheel is locked up/unable to turn. Otherwise, if you can wrench, you gotta take that piece off to redo second gear and the thrust washer/split clip anyway.

Dan, with his being an 86, he should not have the classic 2nd gear problem.

RandyA

Ok... it sounds like I've got to pull the engine out of the bike, split the case and drop the bottom end out, and replace the middle gears.

On the plus side, I do have the engine out of a parts bike that has been sitting here for awhile (I guess I'm glad I don't throw stuff out).