IGNORED

Picked up an 08 RSV

jkt69

yesterday. I have a Suzuki Boulevard cruiser, so the Venture is taking a little get use to, as to be expected.

I have seen a few posts on here about Avon tires, do tires really make that big a difference in handling? Slow speed manuvering?

By the way, love the bike. Can't wait to get home and wash it. The dealer did a lousy job cleaning it yesterday.

Also, is there anything I should watch out for or be aware of related to the Venture?

Edited by jkt69

I tried picking mine up once. IT didn't budge..:whistling:

They are great bikes. You'll need to rethink your riding. These bike don't develop power till about 4k and then they are gone. The leveling links will help with low speed but not as much as www.ridelikeapro.com will.

What to watch out for. Just other bikes TRYING to catch up in your rearview mirrors.

Good luck with the new one. My 06 took some getting used to, I only have about 2500 miles on my Avons now but they are a world of difference over the stock Dunflops. Two weks ago I was in NC and rode the Dragon and a lot of other roads Blue ridge Pky, Skyline Dr, Cherahola Pky I got nothing but performance out of the trip.:thumbsup:

Yeah Avons make huge difference in low speed handling, like 300lb lighter bike.I was stupid and rode a bike til stock Brickstone is due to change. what a mistake. If I get now new venture that will be my first negotiation with dealer for upgrade.

Good Luck

Personally, If you are on Dunlops I wouldn't waste the money on Avons. I would lower the front end first, that costs nothing and gives great results. Of course if you are tall, you could raise the back with the Baron's links. In either case the "ride like a pro" won't hurt, but it won't fix the innitially lousy slow-speed handling either.... only lowering the front or raising the rear will do that. And personally I am leary of the "Avon legends". You can find on this very site where some people rave about them and others for whom they caused problems, vibration and the like.

But...that's what I would do... You may want to do your own thing.... Mainly enjoy the ride!!!!

Watch out for those 1st Gens running past you!!:rotfl:

GREAT Scoot you will love it.

I have a feeling they ride so fast because they have no running boards and they are perching on those pegs like parrokeets, so they are rushing so they get off faster. :crackup:

I just bought a new venture not long ago and went from a honda 1100 sabre to this and not riding for 15yrs and it was alot diffrent at first but the more you ride it the better it feels. I have had the 600 mile service done and it made a world of diffrence on the bike and now have over 900 miles and she is coming to life more all the time. Plan on haveing radio problems but wrty will take care of it and like with mine once I get the little bugs worked out it will be a great bike. Good luck with it and ride safe out there.

The radio problem was simple fix under wrty, they grease the plug and they wire tied the ends together so they dont come lose and so far its worked great. They did sync my carbs because it was running alittle rich and sluggish and after that it made a world of diffrence to it. There is alot of info here and alot of very knowledgeable people that I have seen help anyway they can so if in doubt ask someone will speek up.

Guest Boomerbiker

Congrats on the new bike.

I had the stock Bridgestones swapped out at time of purchase for Avons including the smaller front tire and would have nothing else on the bike. Just switched out the rear tire after 13,600 miles and there was some tread remaining, but I am leaving for Glacier and the Tetons in a couple of days and didn't want the hassle of switching it out on the road.

Get some blue loctite and watch the fasteners, especially on the fender chrome, they have a tendency to come loose and fall off. I added the light bar, headlight modulator, trunk rack and Hardley brake light kit to my bike.

The Venture took getting used to after the Nomad, but now I find myself scraping the boards when I don't act my age, which is 60.