IGNORED

I am not accusing but

Double D

I have not said anything but I must expressing my feelings. During the maintenance day someone wanted the chrome piece on the rear of the front fender of my bike and decided to take it. It happened at the hotel on Saturday night. I am not saying someone from the site did it but it had to be someone with a 2nd Gen. I priced the item from Yamaha and it is $160. I guess I will just do without for that price. I am sorry that this had to happen.:2132:

Edited by Double D

That is really strange! Because when I arrived here in MD I discovered that mine is missing too! I suspect it left me at the motel in MN and I didn't notice it until here (althought the PA turnpike is so rough it could have bailed out on it's own). I had not priced it yet but am distraught that you say it is $190!!!! I only want the chrome piece. Not the whole fender.

Lynn

Guest tx2sturgis

Now thats just weird.

If someone DID steal it, they must have lost one somehow. Is it possible...that the fasteners let go? When I had that Wagner Grill on my bike, the fender tip kept hitting the grill. I removed the grill, but I wonder, do you have one of those grills?

If not, and someone stole it, then we now have some evidence of a Yamaha Black Market. Stolen Yamaha parts. I wrote a few months ago about how these Ventures were mostly immune from being stolen and parted out. No market for stolen Yamaha parts. Or so I thought. But at $190 bucks for a little piece of chrome, maybe the market is there and I just dont know about it.

Now...where did I put that big logging chain?

Sorry to hear about that Dave. I know that when I took mine off last year to put my mud flap on, the screws were pretty loose so now I check them regularly.

I only hope that whoever took it sees this and has a case of conscience and sends it back somehow.

dang.... good thing I haven't started up my new used parts store called "Good Vibrations" yet (someone might think....) .... but that was supposed to be for HD parts .... I never imagined having Yammie parts too!

:sign just kidding:

You can get the after market piece for $80:mo money:. I know that the piece was tight. Before I left Tennessee I made sure all the bolts were good to go. I have the Wagner grill and have had it for 2 years with no problem. Maybe I can get some "chrome" spray paint and make a fake one.:rotfl::rotfl:

Guest tx2sturgis
You can get the after market piece for $80:mo money:. I know that the piece was tight. Before I left Tennessee I made sure all the bolts were good to go. I have the Wagner grill and have had it for 2 years with no problem. Maybe I can get some "chrome" spray paint and make a fake one.:rotfl::rotfl:

Do you ever hear a 'clank' when you hit bumps with your front tire? If so, that may be the fender tip hitting the grill, and maybe after a couple of years, it wore on the little bolts that hold the chrome piece on the fender. Look at the grill and see if there is any evidence of contact in the middle, near the very bottom of the grill. Just a possibility.

Dave, Sorry to hear that. It's Hard to believe someone from our group done that, but I just want to tell you I Almost lost front fender chrome trim pice on way to Chicago, and I didn't notice until I get home. One screw was gone, and second one was half way out.

I Don't wanna talk about Windshield.:doh:

I had my front nearly come off and the back one was loose. Vibration had lossened the screws and they fell out.

Watch Ebay. I noticed a while back that someone was selling spare tire covers for RAV4's. Same guy had like 2 or 3 a month. Could be the same thing and not someone from the site. If its easy to remove they will steal it.

Dave, really sorry to hear about this, I cant imagine anyone of us that was staying at the hotel would do this. You can hook me up to the "machine" anytime, It wasnt me, but I am gonna go check the screws on mine cause I did travel that Pa. turnpike. Man I hope there is another explaination for this. Craig

The factory front tip fender plastic piece on my '86 came off in my hand when I pulled on it a little while messing with the brakes last month. Got some new 3M automotive trim quality double stick foam tape and re-applied. Won't come off so easy next time.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the trim piece, I would believe just some kids, or maybe it just fell off before I would believe a biker at an event took it, but even though MOST bikers are honest, there are some scumbags out there.

I wanted to remove mine, and thought just take the two screws out, remove the chrome, and put the screws back in. But in the center is a pin, held on the back with a spring clip. I could not easi;y get the clip off, and thought the hole in the center would look bad anyway. I do not think there is any way it would fall off even if both bolts fell out.

So, if anybody can hook me up with a RSTD fender without holes for the trim, then I would offer my trim for sale or trade.

At the hardware store, in the specialty fasteners aisle, you can buy "hole caps" in different diameters. Plastic or chrome. May not be available in the right size.

...But in the center is a pin, held on the back with a spring clip. I could not easi;y get the clip off, and thought the hole in the center would look bad anyway...

So, if anybody can hook me up with a RSTD fender without holes for the trim, then I would offer my trim for sale or trade.

Bound to be a jealous first gen rider.:stirthepot:

I have stock fender trim for I believe both ends of the front fender and the rear of the rear fender. No I was not there so I didn't steal them I upgraded them with fancy ones. If anybody wants the stock ones drop me a pm I will make you a deal you can't refuse.

I have not said anything but I must expressing my feelings. During the maintenance day someone wanted the chrome piece on the rear of the front fender of my bike and decided to take it. It happened at the hotel on Saturday night. I am not saying someone from the site did it but it had to be someone with a 2nd Gen. I priced the item from Yamaha and it is $160. I guess I will just do without for that price. I am sorry that this had to happen.:2132:

I would like to think that a fellow biker wouldn't steal from a another biker but as the replies indicate those chrome extentions are prone to falling off, and they cost about $100-$160 to replace..If someone lost theirs then that could be enough motive for some low life to steal someone elses...My 86 VR chrome extention was hanging on by a thread when I notice it..I had to reglue cracked plastic with ABS cement and use washers and loctite to replace it correctly...

Bound to be a jealous first gen rider.:stirthepot:

I have stock fender trim for I believe both ends of the front fender and the rear of the rear fender. No I was not there so I didn't steal them I upgraded them with fancy ones. If anybody wants the stock ones drop me a pm I will make you a deal you can't refuse.

Readneck, you have mail...:2143:

WOW, now thats a strong statement my friend..

Not sure what to say to it either...

My first gut feeling is I truely dont think anyone took it, but rather feel that it fell off and you most likely just didnt notice it right away.

I mean lets take a walk in the past comments over the years here and we can see where many members have posted prior to this posting, that thier chrome fender trim screws and or nuts have been found loose or the trim fell off, and several other bolts or screws were found loose or missing.

Mine came loose two weeks after I purchased it, but I found them luckily before it did fall off. I used blue loc-tight on the screws and it is still there and tight.

I have lost three bolts already from vibration...and replaced all of them using loc-tight.

I surely hope and trust your comment is incorrect.........man I hope so..

Sorry to hear about that. Makes me ill to even think someone from here could do that. I think I would rather keep my head in the sand and think it fell off. Take care. BTW- you going to Eureka Springs?

WOW, now thats a strong statement my friend..

Not sure what to say to it either...

My first gut feeling is I truely dont think anyone took it, but rather feel that it fell off and you most likely just didnt notice it right away.

I mean lets take a walk in the past comments over the years here and we can see where many members have posted prior to this posting, that thier chrome fender trim screws and or nuts have been found loose or the trim fell off, and several other bolts or screws were found loose or missing.

Mine came loose two weeks after I purchased it, but I found them luckily before it did fall off. I used blue loc-tight on the screws and it is still there and tight.

I have lost three bolts already from vibration...and replaced all of them using loc-tight.

I surely hope and trust your comment is incorrect.........man I hope so..

Eck,

I hope no one from here took it but I know it was on the bike at maintenance day because I wiped the bike down before I left and it was not loose but on Sunday morning, while doing my once over before heading south, it was gone. As my title states, I am not accusing anyone from this site.:2143:

Eck,

I hope no one from here took it but I know it was on the bike at maintenance day because I wiped the bike down before I left and it was not loose but on Sunday morning, while doing my once over before heading south, it was gone. As my title states, I am not accusing anyone from this site.:2143:

Your last post changes the equation..you didn't mention in your first post that you wiped down the bike before you left and the extention was not loose......that makes the probability of it falling off minute and the possibility of a thief getting it more likely....I'd like to think thats not true but unfortunatly that seems to be the reality......:(

Guest Boomerbiker

I have found that loctite is necessary to keep the shiny stuff on the bike as the screws that fasten the chrome are very prone to coming loose and falling off. I have even had to replace two of the large bolts that fasten the trunk struts to the rear fender supports. Completely gone. On Saturday returning from a ride the left saddle bag lid fell to the garage floor when I opened it. The small hinge mounting bolts are hidden by the canvas lid support and I didn't even know they were loose. When checking those on the right saddlebag, they were still secure. Such are the idiosyncrasies of the RSV.