IGNORED

Tire mixing

Venturous Randy

After reading the threads on the Elite III, I am wondering if there is any concerns with mixing an Avon on the front that looks almost new with 10,000 miles on it and an Elite III on the back of my 83?

The Avon on the back is beginning to get a little shallow on the center of the tire grooves. I noticed this when I was walking around it when it was laying on it's side. I really do like how the Avons feel, but I am not sure I want another Avon on the back with the 75mph and above rear end wobble.

I have not done the homework as far as finding out if one is bias or radial.

RandyA

I like to match brands but there is nothing that says it is a bad Idea. You should be fine. It is not recommended to mix radial and bias tires on a scoot except in the very rare occasion that a manufacturer does it. The tires flex differently and sometimes will give you an odd feeling.

I think it would be safe to say that many of the sport touring tires, as opposed to cruising rubber, might be better suited to the 83. The bike is also in a similar stature as the Honda St1300, and the FJR 1300 than it is even with its 2nd Gen descendant. Not that our 2ND GEN, BRETHERN don't take their tires right to the feathered edges of their traction and ability ( That was for you Don!). It would just be a safe bet that the sport touring rubber that is seen on those bikes, the Connies, and more would be a good starting place as well. Again the types or roads your ride 905 of the time would give you your best indicator. Highways and expressways as opposed to weekend backroad:2cents: riding.

LOL.....please understand that I was not offended by your previous comments, just added come clarification. :)

I pretty much agree with that you wrote. The only thing I would add just as a word of caution is to check the load rating on any of those sport touring tires that you might consider. The Venture, first and second gen, are a lot heavier than most of those bikes.

After reading the threads on the Elite III, I am wondering if there is any concerns with mixing an Avon on the front that looks almost new with 10,000 miles on it and an Elite III on the back of my 83?

The Avon on the back is beginning to get a little shallow on the center of the tire grooves. I noticed this when I was walking around it when it was laying on it's side. I really do like how the Avons feel, but I am not sure I want another Avon on the back with the 75mph and above rear end wobble.

RandyA

hi Randy

i am running the avon venom on the front and a dunlop elite 3 on the rear. rides straight as an arrow, no wobble, very quiet ride, and feels good while playing on twisty roads. so far this is the best combination of tires i have had on my 86.

cheers, Scott

I sat for a few evenings pondering the new shoes for my 1986. I finally decided on a set of Continental Conti-Tour. Hear is my reasoning for better or worse:

Dunlop 404 - seems to wear out fast on some bikes

Dunlop Elite 2 - Worried about age of rubber in stock and avaiability in the future

Dunlop Elite 3 - No tire for front of the 1st Gen. Don't like to mix brands

Avon Venom - reports of wobbles above 75-80 MPH

Metzler - Reports of self destructing tread sections!!!

Pirelli - Sizes not available in the more premium tour tires

Michelin - Could not find the front tire in stock

Various Asian import tires - unknown track record

Continental - had them on 2 past bikes with good results in wear and traction

Price for a pair is $215.00 delivered. Reasonable.

Liked the ply construction on the front.

Designed about the same era as my bike. Figure it probably has

the right construction.

If these work well this summer it will give me a tire that I can rely on and order again.

JB

Randy, I have had mine much higher than 75, and felt no wobble at all.........very stable at all speeds up to about 95 for me, cant tell you beyond that,,,,,,,dont like to ride that fast, cant take in the scenery...:no-no-no:. Sure its not due to your fork brace or steering head, I think Todd had that problem until he decided to lay it down again on a road test. But he did get rid of the wobble along with some skin, plastic, and other misc. parts:witch_brew::witch_brew:

RandyA

Randy, I have had mine much higher than 75, and felt no wobble at all.........very stable at all speeds up to about 95 for me, cant tell you beyond that,,,,,,,dont like to ride that fast, cant take in the scenery...:no-no-no:. Sure its not due to your fork brace or steering head, I think Todd had that problem until he decided to lay it down again on a road test. But he did get rid of the wobble along with some skin, plastic, and other misc. parts:witch_brew::witch_brew:

Lew, I appreciate the comeback and also from the others. My problem, as I have stated before and is like several others that have stepped forward, is I am not the only 1st gen that has had the 75mph and up rear end wobble. We have also had a couple that took new Avons off because of the high speed wobble and it immediately went away.

I have run Dunlaps, Metzlers and now Avons for over 90,000 miles. There was something I did not like about each brand and really do love the way the Avons handle and the quiteness.

In the last year or so I have replaced both front and rear bearings, cleaned and regreased and retightened head bearings, cleaned and tightened rear swing arm bearings and a few other things. My bike's running gear is probably better now than with any of the other brand tires and I never experienced the wobble before the Avons.

Scott, with what you are telling me about the EliteIII on the back, I may go to that next time.

Thanks everyone.

RandyA

Hi everyone-

This is my first post. I've been reading posts on the site for a long time, but signed up the other day so I could ask some questions. I am presently interested in learning everything about tires. I've read as much as I can via the search function. I thought that I would jump in on this thread since it is current.

I have an original Bridgestone on the front at almost 10K and there is plenty of tread left. I picked up a screw in the OEM rear at about 3,500 and while on a trip. The only choice at the nearest dealer was a Dunlop 404. I made a full inspection of the bike recently and was shocked to see that there is absolutely nothing left on the rear tire.

I have ME880's on another bike and a full set of Dunlop's 402's on yet a 3rd bike. I am very strongly considering putting either the Elite 3's or the Continental Milestones on the 2004 Venture. I am now intrigued by your Avon commentary. I'd like to hear anything more about the Conti's and the E 3's if you're willing to offer.

Thanks and Happy 4th

TTW

:325::900[1]:

Guest BluesLover

Last year I ran the season (about 26,000 kms) with an Avon on the rear and a Dunlop 404 on the front - no issues.

So far this year, I'm running a new Avon on the rear and a Metzeler 880 on the front - again no issues so far (at about 10,000 kms).

Cleaning the WWWs is getting to be a task though, and I may switch back to the blackwalls next season - in which case I'll go with the Avons front and rear.

Cheers,

Phooey on Gilligan!

I hated it. Handled like @#$%.

Couple years back, when i first got my bike. The metzler rear caught a nail and of course I couldn't get anyone to patch it, so in my haste i grabbed the oem Dunlap replacement [think it was the 404]. Anyway it was an awful combination.

I recently replaced them (the rear only lasted for some 6K+ miles) with the Avon Venoms--Love em!

I can't speak for the 'commanders' (i tried to get them, but i couldn't get them in a wide-white wall) so i went with the venom...and i'll be sticking with them from here out.

later

:fireman:

Guest Vermincelli
I think it would be safe to say that many of the sport touring tires, as opposed to cruising rubber, might be better suited to the 83. The bike is also in a similar stature as the Honda St1300, and the FJR 1300 than it is even with its 2nd Gen descendant. Not that our 2ND GEN, BRETHERN don't take their tires right to the feathered edges of their traction and ability ( That was for you Don!). It would just be a safe bet that the sport touring rubber that is seen on those bikes, the Connies, and more would be a good starting place as well. Again the types or roads your ride 905 of the time would give you your best indicator. Highways and expressways as opposed to weekend backroad:2cents: riding.

2 problems. Load and sizing.

I was looking for some more performance oriented tires (the Michelin Pilot Road 2 would be perfect for the 1st gen) since I love back roads and twisties over superslabs but never found the sizes needed plus the load ratings aren't high enough.