IGNORED

Fram Filter

Eddy

Please inform me why their junk because I've used them for about 42 years, thereabouts, or my entire adult life and have never had a problem. Have you had one to fail? I certainly don't want something inferior on my bike. I didn't think there was that much difference between the filters besides the prices??

Eddie:puzzled:

They don't break, they just don't filter the oil as well as other filters on the market.

The two best filters on the market are the Amsoil EaO and the Purolater Pure One. Check the lab test results.

Yes the Fram filters oil, but not at the levels that other filters do.

I plan on keeping my RSV for many years so the cleaner I keep my oil, the longer it should last.

If you plan on keeping your bike for less than 10 years, put any filter on it.

If you want 200,000 miles out of it, use a high end filter.

They don't break, they just don't filter the oil as well as other filters on the market.

The two best filters on the market are the Amsoil EaO and the Purolater Pure One. Check the lab test results.

Yes the Fram filters oil, but not at the levels that other filters do.

I plan on keeping my RSV for many years so the cleaner I keep my oil, the longer it should last.

If you plan on keeping your bike for less than 10 years, put any filter on it.

If you want 200,000 miles out of it, use a high end filter.

Huh? My 199 RSV is just shy of 10 years old. In the years I've owned it I've used Fram filters. There was a Fram on it when I bought it 4 years ago. For all I know that's all the previous owner used. There is nothing wrong with my bike.

Check with Freebird, what has he been using for his '99 all these years?

Sorry my friend but if you are looking for a Fram supporter, I can't help you. Yes, I HAVE used them a couple of times but I have seen a number of reports of them failing and haven't used them in a while now. I used a Napa Gold filter until I read some great reports on the Walmart filter. I've also read that the Walmart filter has been re-designed and may not be as good as it once was but for now, I'm still using it. I just changed my oil and installed a new one last weekend.

Somewhere on here in the past there have been pics posted showing the inferior filter element and poor materials and construction of the Fram. Do a search, or check some of the links at the bottom of this page. Or cut one apart yourself and compare it to some others. I'll never touch another Fram again.

Thanks everyone for the input. I know everyone has their own preferences and maybe the Fram isn't all that great. Next oil change, I think I'll change to one of your suggestions or go back to the Yamaha filter. That has to be a good one, huh?

Eddie

Well uh... When I got my bike it had a Y filter on it. I cut it apart to look at it. Second worst filter I've ever seen in my life. The filter element is really bad. I'd use a Honda filter before I used a Y filter. They're decent, but they're too expensive. The Supertech ST7317 from Mallwart is as good as anything going, and it only costs a couple bucks or so. Check this link for other decent oil filters. Our bike falls into group 5 way down at the bottom.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=523

I've heard that Bosch 3323 is a very good filter. Anyone out there using it?

I use the Bosch or the Pure One, just depends on which is stocked in the store I'm in. I like the longer filters. I figure the longer one will keep a good flow longer should I need to extend the time between changes or should they catch a lot of crap from the oil. Don't know how true that is, but it makes me feel better!

Bosch - stock 2 1/2" filter = 3300

Bosch - long 3 1/4" filter = 3323

Purolator Pure One - stock 2 1/2" filter = PL14612

Purolator Pure One - long 3 1/4" filter = PL14610

All are in the $6 range