IGNORED

5 year warranty issues

Guest 2mike2

Guest 2mike2

I made a list of issues to be looked at on the 5 year warranty. Some of the things were common issues like

a. front mounting brackets for the lower faring broken

b. right bag hard to close and lock almost impossible to work

c. whine in the rear end

and a couple of other things

d. front brakes pulsate

e. cb antenna broken at ceramic spacer.

The dealership told me these are all non-warranty issues.

I called Yamaha and they said they would cover the lock but nothing else.

I asked to talk to a sales manager and they said it would take 24 hours for them to return

my call.

All of these items are on record my warranty expires july 26 or there abouts.

Can anyone offer further advise. I am the one that lost 5th gear a couple of years ago.

Thanks mike

I made a list of issues to be looked at on the 5 year warranty. Some of the things were common issues like

a. front mounting brackets for the lower faring broken

Did you remove those lower fairings yourself or did they break from vibration? If you removed them then they can claim you messed them up yourself. I had the dealer replace my upper under warranty even though they fought me on it. The end tabs were broken but that was a well known issue.

b. right bag hard to close and lock almost impossible to work

Maybe all it needs is some lubricant. Sometimes those screws loosen up.

c. whine in the rear end

Most definetely a warranty issue. Sounds like it maybe needs the splines lubed or maybe a whole new rear. Could be bad wheel bearings which would fall under the warranty. Dealed here replaced mine under warranty.

and a couple of other things

d. front brakes pulsate

Are the bads dirty or is the rotor warped? If warped, i'd say its a warranty issue.

e. cb antenna broken at ceramic spacer.

A member here in FL had his antenna replaced under warranty when his broke off at the spacer so it can be done.

The dealership told me these are all non-warranty issues.

I called Yamaha and they said they would cover the lock but nothing else.

I asked to talk to a sales manager and they said it would take 24 hours for them to return

my call.

All of these items are on record my warranty expires july 26 or there abouts.

Can anyone offer further advise. I am the one that lost 5th gear a couple of years ago.

Thanks mike

Stay on their case and good luck.

The saddlebag problem might be a bent rod. I had something like that happen once and took the mechanism apart and found one of the rods bent. Straightened it out and lock worked perfect ever since.

The antenna is a warranty item.

The only thing on that list that MIGHT not be warranty is the front brake pulsation. I would even fight that. If it's a pulsation, it's probably a warped rotor and that should not happen on a bike that new.

Actually, I'll have to disagree on this one... Pulsing brake can be the result of pad glazing which sometimes occurs with the use of a too hard brakepad. I went through 3 years of this on my Lexus LX470. The dealer would replace the pads under waranty and within a couple of months it would start pulsing again. The dealer gets paid by the factory for doing it so they were always obliging with a smile, but it didn't do me much good.... So finally I installed a softer pad myself, and the problem was history!!!! One sure way to find out is fine-sand the surfaces of your existing pads and if the problem lessens or disappears it's not warped discs.

Edited by az1103
spelling

Guest 2mike2

Sorry, i forgot to say that both rotors were under specifications. That is they are to thin to turn.

There have been no gouging or anything else on them.

Anyone have numbers or contacts at yamaha please?

How did those rotors get under spec? If they were turned you can forget about waranty coverage. Anyhow, turning rotors is a useless provedure which only benefits the machine-shop. A good set of new pads will seat in a matter of a couple of days and the existing grooves in the surface only add to the effective surface area. Unless of course you install unnecessarily hard pads, which will squeal not give good stopping power and take forever to seat.

How did those rotors get under spec? If they were turned you can forget about waranty coverage. Anyhow, turning rotors is a useless provedure which only benefits the machine-shop. A good set of new pads will seat in a matter of a couple of days and the existing grooves in the surface only add to the effective surface area. Unless of course you install unnecessarily hard pads, which will squeal not give good stopping power and take forever to seat.
A new set of pads won't straighten a warped rotor. The only way to fix that is by machining or replacing them.

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Man, I can sympathize with you!!!! If I had to pick one headache with Yamaha, and I'm talking down to the dealers all the way to the top, it would be warranty issues. I remember when I purchased my 2005 RSMV. I purchased it barely used from a dealer (not Yamaha) out of town. When I got to my hometown I went to my local Yamaha dealer, Eddie Hill's Fun Cycles in Wichita Falls, Texas, to have the bike inspected and the warranty changed over in my name as the manual tells us to. The SUPERVISOR over service and maintenace comes out and says," What warranty? Your bike has NO warranty unless you purchased an extended warranty." I said," Man the RSTD and RSV both come with a 5 year warranty upon purchase that is transferrable." I even tried to show this dude the manual! He says, " No bike has a 5 year warranty." Then the OWNER of the place walks out there. He says, " We've never heard of this (THEY HAD 2 SITTING ON THE SHOW ROOM FLOOR!!!!!!) we'll have to check on it." That was on a Saturday. That next Tuesday the owner calls. He says," We're sorry your bike does have a warranty, come on back and we'll take care of it." THE OWNER NOR THE SERVICE/MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR KNEW THAT IT HAD A 5 YEAR WARRANTY!!!!!! If they didn't even know that, what else didn't they know? Needless to say, I never went back. At one time I did call Yamaha and ask them what the warranty covered. I was told that it covered the whole bike except tires, battery, lamps, & brakes. The bike I love, service and getting help is so frustrating. All you have to do is walk into most Yamaha dealers and just whisper "warranty work" and everyone gets real dumb real quick. I don't get it.