IGNORED

Will this jack work?

philmartin

I have the sears one, looks lot like yours except it red.

I have to use hockey pucks with mine to make it stand up enough at the corners to miss some of the important things under the bike.

So it's either the hockey pucks or a frame made to fit the jack.

Jerry

I have the sears one, looks lot like yours except it red.

I have to use hockey pucks with mine to make it stand up enough at the corners to miss some of the important things under the bike.

So it's either the hockey pucks or a frame made to fit the jack.

Jerry

All you need to do is get a 1st gen! then you just slide the jack under and go! No need for all this fancy-scmancy adapter stuff! :witch_brew: :rotfl:

Just curious guys,

But does this Craftsman jack use hydralics to lift or is it mechanical? I really like the look and design of this jack. It looks like it is much smaller and easier to handle than my old Dunwell, which seems to be hard on bottle jacks.

Rick

All you need to do is get a 1st gen! then you just slide the jack under and go! No need for all this fancy-scmancy adapter stuff! :witch_brew: :rotfl:

How do you figure this? :confused24: The pipes still hang down below the frame on a 1st gen. You've got to have something that goes between the lift and the frame otherwise you're still trying to lift the bike on the pipes.

How do you figure this? :confused24: The pipes still hang down below the frame on a 1st gen. You've got to have something that goes between the lift and the frame otherwise you're still trying to lift the bike on the pipes.

It's not a problem for the pipes. I lift mine (and others) by the pipes all the time. In fact, at the Goldwing factory they move the bikes around with a forklift and pick them up using the pipes.

I figured on the 2nd gens that they need spacers to just even things up. Like on my Intruder, if I don't get it just right, it leans to the side.

It's not a problem for the pipes. I lift mine (and others) by the pipes all the time.

I figured on the 2nd gens that they need spacers to just even things up. Like on my Intruder, if I don't get it just right, it leans to the side.

I've lifted mine w/o adapters as well... As long as you get it centered, it is rock solid. I have to admit tho... the first time you lift your 800 lb pride and joy a foot and a half in the air, you'll feel a bit nervous.

Hmmm interesting and a good thing to know. Can you tell a feller where the "center" would be. I guess I'm asking, where would you stick the lift if you want the thing good and balanced.

with the lift on the right side of your 1st ginny, the rear lifting point is at the rear end ofthe lowest point on your right rider foot peg mount. The front lift point For my lift is at the rear mounting tab for the crash bar.

IMHO

I guess it's a personel preference, but I would not lift my bike by the exhaust pipes. I doubt seriously that the designers of this bike or any would recommend that.:no-no-no:

I guess it's a personel preference, but I would not lift my bike by the exhaust pipes. I doubt seriously that the designers of this bike or any would recommend that.:no-no-no:

Personally, I wouldn't and won't either but I assume that the balance point would be the same with or without some sort of adaptive device on the lift.

Personally, I wouldn't and won't either but I assume that the balance point would be the same with or without some sort of adaptive device on the lift.
I can't seem to down load any pics to our forum, several failed attempts to show pics of my rig, that I've used since '04, not having any luck finding any that will load.

I have the same lift and lift my RSV up . I have a center stand and dont use anything but a tie strap. My bike has spent the last two winters up in the air.

Thanks Eddie that's the answer I was looking for. With 4 hockey pucks I'll use the lift this weekend!

Mark,

The biggest consideration on lifting a 1st gen without frame adapters is the double walled pipes, they are strong as a bull. And by the way that they mount to the collector makes them even stronger to lift from, kinda like the strength of a triangle. But the 2nd Gen Ventures just have single walled pipes with chrome covers which make them more prone to bending, which is the real reason we use frame adapters.

But (from the right side of the bike) I always slipped the left rail of the lift just under the front frame mount of the center stand so I didn't have the complete weight of the bike on the pipes. This pretty much balanced the bike once off the ground. You really need to watch this balance point, so when you take the front wheel off that it doesn't want to rock backwards :no-no-no:

Now can anyone tell me if this Craftsman Jack uses a bottle jack to lift with, or is it mechanical?

Rick

Wayne,

What problem do you keep running into with the pics? Are they too large or something?

Pictures I've uploaded to a Photobucket account, when I try to attach them here i keep getting an error message, stating an invalid file.

Rick, I'm at work and the jack is at home, still in the box unopened incase I had to return it. I'll be using it this weekend and let you know if its hydraulic or mechanical. BTW I used your method of attaching the RSTD exhaust tips and they look great!

Mark,

The biggest consideration on lifting a 1st gen without frame adapters is the double walled pipes, they are strong as a bull. And by the way that they mount to the collector makes them even stronger to lift from, kinda like the strength of a triangle. But the 2nd Gen Ventures just have single walled pipes with chrome covers which make them more prone to bending, which is the real reason we use frame adapters.

But (from the right side of the bike) I always slipped the left rail of the lift just under the front frame mount of the center stand so I didn't have the complete weight of the bike on the pipes. This pretty much balanced the bike once off the ground. You really need to watch this balance point, so when you take the front wheel off that it doesn't want to rock backwards :no-no-no:

Now can anyone tell me if this Craftsman Jack uses a bottle jack to lift with, or is it mechanical?

Rick

Rick I believe it to have a hydraulic bottle type jack on it. It looks like the one sears has with an aluminum frame. As for your " they are strong as a bull. "" I'm going to chew on this a while, and maybe I'll be swayed in my thinking.

Oh and Hey Phil didn't mean to high jack yuor thread.:whistling: wtho