IGNORED

LED rear lighting upgrade questions...

I have never liked how little lighting the RSV (or most bikes) have from the rear.

I picked up a LED light board that acts as tail light, brake light and turn signals to replace the bulb in the housing. I also have a light strip to add to the back lower trunk that is supposed to act the same way. Before I lay under the rear of the bike, can anyone here tell me what to look for in wiring it up? I'm not a total idiot (most days) but am terrible at reading wiring diagrams. 

17075976542613920621811870804873.jpg

13 hours ago, tooldood said:

I have never liked how little lighting the RSV (or most bikes) have from the rear.

I picked up a LED light board that acts as tail light, brake light and turn signals to replace the bulb in the housing. I also have a light strip to add to the back lower trunk that is supposed to act the same way. Before I lay under the rear of the bike, can anyone here tell me what to look for in wiring it up? I'm not a total idiot (most days) but am terrible at reading wiring diagrams. 

Behind the license plate you will find where the taillight and turn signals come together, you can tap into the needed circuits in there. The connections are bullet style single connectors.   I do sell some special multi tap bullet adapters but if you are replacing the taillight all together you may not need those unless you want to retain the OEM turns. As far as the light bar under the trunk I sell those with a plug and play harness that taps in under the seat, with enough information about your light bar I am sure I can make a plug and play set up for that also. You check out this thread if you like.

If you do not have this already here is the color codes for the rear lighting

Tail = Blue

Right turn = Green

Left Turn = Brown

Brake = Yellow

Ground = Black

Happy to help if I can.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 3:42 PM, tooldood said:

17075976542613920621811870804873.jpg

I am very curious to see this installed and operating.  I am thinking about upgrading my tail lights as well. Please update us when you're done. :) 

Just now, Midicat said:

I am very curious to see this installed and operating.  I am thinking about upgrading my tail lights as well. Please update us when you're done. :) 

Me too... When it warms up a bit I intend to tackle it. 

• Like 1

I did add a similar LED Run-Brake-Turn bar under the tour pack and used one of Steve's break-out harnesses that made for an absolutely painless installation.  Unclip the main light harness under the seat and put in the new harness provided by Steve, then tag the new light into the breakout wires with the schematics provided!  I also used his ignition relay harness last year when my ignition plug melted.

On a side note,  Happy I picked up one of those Custom Dynamics plug-n-play LED taillight boards back when they were available!

7 hours ago, BratmanXj said:

I did add a similar LED Run-Brake-Turn bar under the tour pack and used one of Steve's break-out harnesses that made for an absolutely painless installation.  Unclip the main light harness under the seat and put in the new harness provided by Steve, then tag the new light into the breakout wires with the schematics provided!  I also used his ignition relay harness last year when my ignition plug melted.

On a side note,  Happy I picked up one of those Custom Dynamics plug-n-play LED taillight boards back when they were available!

Thanks for the kind words, but I must make one correction, I do not make the ignition bypass system, another member here named Dion #djh3 makes those.

15 hours ago, M61A1MECH said:

but I must make one correction, I do not make the ignition bypass system, another member here named Dion #djh3 makes those.

This is what happens when you own a bike for 10+ yrs.... you start forgetting what changes you've made!