IGNORED

What have I done wrong?

GrahamLFCkeeper

Hello all

Hope everyone is keeping well!

Interested to know people's opinion on this one.

Had carbs leaking fuel.

Bought a rebuild kit, replaced all the float needles and reset (as per guide on here) cleaned up everything else, carbs balanced.

No more leaks 

New fuel filter and rebuilt the petcock with new seals whilst I was I there.

Previously the bike would start on choke, (or enricher if you like) turn off (the choke) after 20 seconds and off you go.

Now the bike starts 'lumpy' like it's struggling for fuel, with or without choke.

2 minutes of warm up and ride for 30 seconds and she is smooth as a hot knife through butter, idles perfectly, nice pick up MPG is as before.

I've checked through all the various air intake pipes and ensured all the hose clips are tight and everything is in where it should be. 

Double checked there are no kinks in any fuel pipes. 

All cylinders seem to be firing (hot pipe check).

Ultimately, it's not a huge problem as she starts and with in 30 seconds runs fine 

Only other issue is, I'm waiting for a new battery to arrive (mileage keep resetting - so assuming it's because the battery is old) 

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Edited by GrahamLFCkeeper

9 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Two things come to mind. One is that the battery is low and so you have low voltage or maybe just bad connections. The second would be to really closely check to make sure the carbs are seated fully, I mean fully.

I'll have another double check but, I had issues seating the airbox first time, this lead me to double checking seating on the carbs, but I'll have another check 

On 11/12/2023 at 6:24 PM, GrahamLFCkeeper said:

This will be a new area for me (the valves) but I'll have a look into that

Even if they move freely if there was any sediment in the bowel some of it may have made its way to the valves keeping them from fully closing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamLFCkeeper said:

New development, heavily bogging down in the rain (it wasn't supposed to rain today but that's a rant for another thread 😆)

Carb cleaner spray around carb and air intakes, no noticeable change in idle 

I'm thinking weak (then none in rain) spark 🤔

Wait for night fall then fire your bike up in the dark (also cover your head light). With a spray bottle spray your entire high voltage side of your ignition system with water while it is running and look for an early display of flickering Christmas lights.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello all, hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year!

I've not got round to checking any of the above, however, I'm hoping this weekend I will. 

When I removed the gas tank last time, fuel leaked out of the gas cap as I took the tank off (quite a full tank).

Im now thinking if gas can get out.... rain can get in, sink into the carbs and cause the low power/stuttering in rain conditions.

Any thoughts or is that unlikely?  Just want to cover all bases before I start.

Cheers

2 hours ago, GrahamLFCkeeper said:

Hello all, hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year!

I've not got round to checking any of the above, however, I'm hoping this weekend I will. 

When I removed the gas tank last time, fuel leaked out of the gas cap as I took the tank off (quite a full tank).

Im now thinking if gas can get out.... rain can get in, sink into the carbs and cause the low power/stuttering in rain conditions.

Any thoughts or is that unlikely?  Just want to cover all bases before I start.

Cheers

Not likely but I have only Canadian experience. You can drain the carb bowls to discover your answer. Leave the petcock as you drain so that fresh fuel will push any moisture out. Use a glass jar to catch the affluent so you can see if there was anything untowards in there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well this just got fun, went to look at all the above. Bike wouldn't turn on, no lights, no dash, nothing.

Replaced the battery with one I knew was working, still nothing.

Fuse time, removed the main fuse and it disintegrated. White powder everywhere, snapped fuse. 

I will attempt to clean out the existing 'fuse holder' but I'm not holding any hope it'll be of any use. 

Does anybody know what I replace it with (a part number would be great)?

My knowledge of the electrical side is next to none, so be gentle 😂

***Edit... I've found what I need (starter relay) ... for £14 (about $18) I'm not going to bother trying to clean out the old one

Edited by GrahamLFCkeeper
  • Like 1

just make  sure you put the new one in as the old one comes out. i made a mistake putting in a new starter relay n it screwed other stuff up, so just pay attention to how the old one is wired when you take it out. jusy a little friendly warn'n.:thumbsup2::innocent-emoticon:

• Like 1