IGNORED

Battery dies on Venture.

Steve S

Folks I am having crazy battery problems and need some input. The crazy part is I have worked with rebuilding automotive alternators and generators, resolved wiring and electrical issues for years, with a bro-in-law that had an electric motor shop, and I can't wrap my head around the problem. 

I had a fairly new, Deca battery die on my 2007 RSV Trike this spring, replaced it, with another Deca and the new one died after a few weeks of riding.  Checked the voltage and found it was charging at 18 volts.  Ordered and installed new voltage regulator, installed new Deca battery, and it was charging at 14.2 volts. After installing the battery, I rode it for a couple of hours and parked it for a couple of weeks. Now the new battery is dead too.  I removed the battery, hooked up jumper cables to my lawnmower and checked the charging rate.  14.2 volts again at idle and very high idle range.  Checked the battery with a battery tester and it is DEAD.  Has 2 volts and goes to 0 when I hit the load button. 

I have seen alternators go bad from bad stators and I am wondering if I should change it out too even though the voltage is well within the acceptable range.

Any ideas and input would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Steve.

18 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Might be a parasitic draw.

Thank you for that suggestion. I powered it up and the only draw it has is a low amperage draw on the engine line. It has a couple of extra accessories that are dead until the engine is running.  I even started the engine and ran it up to a high RPM to make sure the regulator wasn't failing at high speeds.  

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

What was the draw?  It doesn't take a lot to kill a small motorcycle battery.

It barely lit the test light I was using. The battery wasn't just low, it was DEAD!!!  Like it had a link inside that had opened up.  I've charged it twice and it doesn't have any amperage in it.  This is the 3rd Deca battery that has failed on this trike this year.  I've had good luck with Decas in the past, so I am surprised at this.

12 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Take that battery out of the bike, charge it on the bench, then check the voltage after an hour or so, then leave it and check the voltage again in 24 hours. There should be little or no voltage drop.

It was charged out of the bike for a couple of hours. I've checked it several times and still only shows BAD on my load tester. It has voltage, but no amperage. 

11 hours ago, Steve S said:

It was charged out of the bike for a couple of hours. I've checked it several times and still only shows BAD on my load tester. It has voltage, but no amperage. 

Sounds not good to me,, could have been a bad run.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 10:01 PM, Marcarl said:

Sounds not good to me,, could have been a bad run.

It is very possible. Also even an unused battery that has sat on the shelf too long prior to being sold can sulfate. Last week my son bought a new battery and swaped it out in the parking lot were he bought it. by the time he drove home the truck started running very badly, the alternator quit charging and then died as he pulled in the driveway. Battery voltage was at 1.6 volts. he tried charging the battery but it would not take and after he boosted the truck the alt would not charge. He removed the alternator and took it to a re-builder who later showed him the old parts he removed. They were fried and he told my son this was the result of a bad battery. He took the battery back to were he got it and after testing it and determining it had an internal short, they replaced it and all is now fine. When I was a youth working for Canadian tire I would test the battery's before selling to a customer and quite often I would come across one that was bad off the shelf.

Edited by saddlebum

5 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

It is very possible. Also even an unused battery that has sat on the shelf too long prior to being sold can sulfate. Last week my son bought a new battery and swaped it out in the parking lot were he bought it. by the time he drove home the truck started running very badly, the alternator quit charging and then died as he pulled in the driveway. Battery voltage was at 1.6 volts. he tried charging the battery but it would not take and after he boosted the truck the alt would not charge. He removed the alternator and took it to a re-builder who later showed him the old parts he removed. They were fried and he told my son this was the result of a bad battery. He took the battery back to were he got it and after testing it and determining it had an internal short, they replaced it and all is now fine. When I was a youth working for Canadian tire I would test the battery's before selling to a customer and quite often I would come across one that was bad off the shelf.

When I was a youth???? I suppose that might be a possibility, but you haven't convinced me yet!