IGNORED

Dark Side Forum

MAINEAC

My comments were for discussion only . Not to say if anyone was told to do it or not or to involve legalities of anything . The term Darkside means any topic in general , not just referring to the CT . My Bad , maybe I should refer this to the "FAR SIDE" rather than the "Dark Side" . I just jumped the gun and was thinking of conversation itself . Didn't read all the way into this thread as see where this was leading into , being I was mislead myself as the forum section was "Request for Features" . So my next question is , "Why are we talking about CT's in a "Request for Features" forum ? Are we asking for a tire changer here ? :stickpoke::stickpoke::think:

BEER30

No Beer they want a place as Linda Richman would say " Talk amongst themselves!!"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Beer they want a place as Linda Richman would say " Talk amongst themselves!!"

First off , who is Linda Richman ?

Secondly , retract all I have said and let them get each others phone # and let them BS in private ! :nanner:

BEER30

OK folks, I have added a forum named Darksiders. PLEASE READ THE STICKY. I had really mixed feelings about adding this area due to the fact that I have seen already that some people cannot seem to discuss this issue without resorting to personal attacks and sarcasm toward other members. It is very simple, it will not be allowed and if it does then that area will not be here for long.

Okay,

I have been following the threads concerning installing a car tire on a motorcycle since the discussion first came up. One thing really confuses me. Even more so when we have questions raised about mixing tires on the scoot.

So, my question is, "Why are they only running the car tire on the rear wheel?"

:15_8_211[1]:

Ok, now we need a clarification of the DarkSide.

Is it;

1. Someone that rides a 2nd Gen?

-or-

2. Someone using a CT on a bike?

I always understood that coming or going to the DarkSide was when you owned or on your way to owning a 2nd gen.

Not that it really matters, I just like to appear to know what I am talking about when I do talk about it.

There are folks riding car tires on both ends. I bought my Metzler front tire before I bought my rear tire, At the time I was more concerned with the mileage I was getting on the rear tire. I'm getting twice the mileage on the front tire as I was with the rear. My next front tire will probably be a radial tire, if I can get good mileage from it.

There are folks riding car tires on both ends. I bought my Metzler front tire before I bought my rear tire, At the time I was more concerned with the mileage I was getting on the rear tire. I'm getting twice the mileage on the front tire as I was with the rear. My next front tire will probably be a radial tire, if I can get good mileage from it.

Thanks. Any handling issues you noted with the CT on the front end?

Ok, now we need a clarification of the DarkSide.

Is it;

1. Someone that rides a 2nd Gen?

-or-

2. Someone using a CT on a bike?

I always understood that coming or going to the DarkSide was when you owned or on your way to owning a 2nd gen.

Not that it really matters, I just like to appear to know what I am talking about when I do talk about it.

For the purpose of this particular forum...it is someone that runs a CT...

I have been riding Ventures since 1983, and when I bought my 99 I didn't think I was entering the DarkSide...I thought I was stepping up....

But then I loved both generations equally, for what each offers....

I don't play 1st and 2nd...I ride...on a CT...period.

Thanks. Any handling issues you noted with the CT on the front end?

I'll kick this off, and we'll see where it lands...

I ran CT's front and back on my 54 Harley Hydra Glide. I cornered like a tank, but back then we weren't into the Dragons Tail attitude...and the bikes and riders weren't

really cut out for that anyway....not like riders and their machines are today...

I wasn't too concerned with dragging my floor boards...still ain't into it, but I never had a problem with the CT on the front of that bike...

I don't know how a RSV would do with one...for starters, I am not too sure you'd find a narrow enuff 16 inch tire to really make using a CT on the front practical...But I really don't see any reason why it wouldn't work and last for 40K miles if you could find one that fit the criteria....

BTW...I would take my RSV with the CT on the back nose to nose with any RSV running a MT through the twisties and prove that mine either paced as well or even better through them...I have never been able to lay the bike over as far with an MT as I can now with a CT...it's just freakin wild, how much better the bike corners and takes tight curves with the CT...

• 3 years later...
Guest Rev'n Ahead

I have been following this thread and have heard it asked many times, "What are the advantages of running a CT?" and am convinced that there seem to be many, including longer tire mileage, better traction in rough/sandy roads, great cornering, etc.

So, my question: "What are the disadvantages?" I haven't heard any statistical disadvantages but only comments like, "I wouldn't run a wheelbarrow tire on my lawnmower.." or something like that...

So, for you who are riding the DARKSIDE - seriously - what, from YOUR experience, would you consider a DISADVANTAGE of riding on a CT?

Thanks

I'm going to be installing my 3rd CT pretty soon... No disadvantage for me riding on them... biggest PITA is getting them mounted... My advice to anyone thinking about going to a CT is you should be willing to get your hands dirty and either assist or supervise with the mounting... I wouldn't just drop my bike and tire off at the shop and tell somebody to mount it up.... Cleaning (to like new) the rim is a good idea and some good tire lube is a MUST... I don't think Vaseline or any kind of grease is a good option... That stuff will stay there until the tire comes off... I would also recommend not going over 80 PSI while mounting your tire... I have heard of tires exploding at 90 PSI.... if it doesn't mount at 80 use some kind of heat to help the bead seat... I had good luck with my Kumhos but can't seem to find them anymore so I'm going to have to try something different...

I guess we're lucky we don't have Suzukis... heard some of those guys have had rims explode during mounting...

I have been following this thread and have heard it asked many times, "What are the advantages of running a CT?" and am convinced that there seem to be many, including longer tire mileage, better traction in rough/sandy roads, great cornering, etc.

So, my question: "What are the disadvantages?" I haven't heard any statistical disadvantages but only comments like, "I wouldn't run a wheelbarrow tire on my lawnmower.." or something like that...

So, for you who are riding the DARKSIDE - seriously - what, from YOUR experience, would you consider a DISADVANTAGE of riding on a CT?

Thanks

I tried a CT and didn't like it.:backinmyday: If you search you'll find my write-up. For me, the CT had better traction on gravel and better rear wheel braking, but my bike had a slight wobble that just never went away regardless of different tire pressures. Low speed manuvers were no problem at all, but when pushing the bike at speed into hard corners the rear tire would break loose without warning. In my opinion, the CT required me to give up some of the handling of a good motorcycle, so I went back to a MC tire. Some people like CT's and swear by them, but I'll stick with MC tires on my RSV.

I think a CT would be terrific on a side-car rig and if I ever get another side hack I'll put a CT back on my RSV.

• 3 months later...

Maybe we should have a section with their own mods for say.......tire balancing beads, or say maybe each brand of tires or maybe even each brand of oils, or we could have a different section for each different kind of clutch spring upgrade or one section for those who think it's ok to run a 130 on the front and a section for those who think you should only run a 150. Or how about pro guns and anti guns. :scratchchin: WOW the possibilities are endless

I am really confused...........some of you want your own forum so you do not have to listen to people who don't agree with you but after looking at who all has posted in this some of you are the same people who called me names, and made fun of my purple clutch upgrades with unnecessary comments because you didn't like the fact that I didn't like the diaphragm spring or the fact that I didn't buy my upgrade from a member here.

Don, I know it doesn't matter and I don't mean to come across as trying to start things but having their own forum is going to start everyone wanting something because some people don't agree. This is the best forum on the internet when it comes to people watching what they say and how when it gets out of line how you can either say something to the people in the thread and it stops. There is not another site like this and the people who come here and are smart azz's and want to attack other members don't last long anyway. I stay away from a subject like the darsiders because both sides seem to get upset. Now so everyone knows where I stand on the subject I do not under stand the reasons behind a car tire other than a few more miles..

Rick, the darksiders have had an area in this forum for a couple of years now. There is already a General tech talk area, where anyone can post a new thread.

There isn't another tech area that I know of, that is not READ ONLY. That im guessing was done on purpose so as to preserve the integrity of the tech sections and not allow them to get cluttered up.

Besides, this thread is from 2008???:confused24:

Edited by CaptainJoe

Rick, the darksiders have had an area in this forum for a couple of years now. There is already a General tech talk area, where anyone can post a new thread.

There isn't another tech area that I know of, that is not READ ONLY. That im guessing was done on purpose so as to preserve the integrity of the tech sections and not allow them to get cluttered up.

Besides, this thread is from 2008???:confused24:

OK I'll get down now :soapbox: