IGNORED

Repair success at last

Freebird

I've studied the RSV wiring diagrams till I was almost crosseyed.  I had two problems that I had decided were related.  First of all, the bike would not start in neutral unless the clutch was pulled it.  It should start without the clutch pulled in as long as it's in neutral.  The second problem was that the cruise control would not set.,  Now, I'm not sure if either of these problems were there when I bought the trike or not because I don't remember even using the cruise or trying to start the bike in neutral.  I had it in my mind that it was a wiring problem from when the Hannigan. kit was installed because the reverse also uses the neutral switch.  I tracked a LOT of wiring trying to figure that out but found no issues with the wiring.,  I then ordered a new ignition cut off relay.  That ended up correcting the issue of the bike not starting in neutral so that was good.  Cruise still wouldn't set though.  The troubleshooting guiide in the manual leaves a bit to be desired as it doesn't explain the results correctly.  At any rate, I finally determined that the cancel switch might be the issue.  I ended up taking the switches on the brake lever apart.  It appears that somebody pressed the cancel switch to hard and it had got cocked a bit sideways, not even noticeable from the outside, and it wasn'nt making up.  Got it reset and put back together and SUCCESS,.  Now everything it working like it should.  I've spent several hours trying to figure this out.  My first problem was assuming that the two issues were related.

• Like 8

GREAT JOB DON!

My mom often joked that I was "Born with a wrench in my hand"! But because of a combo of "Color Blindness", and a lack of knowledge of advance electronic function, electrical issues are my least favorite thing to work on. Fortunately for me, my brother James is an electrical genius! Between the two of us, we actually make ONE really great mechanic! My hat's off to you, my friend for figuring out your electrical woes. Great Job! By the way Don, that Trike and trailer combo is a VERY nice looking unit! I hope you have good luck selling it.

Earl.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Freebird said:

I've studied the RSV wiring diagrams till I was almost crosseyed.  I had two problems that I had decided were related.  First of all, the bike would not start in neutral unless the clutch was pulled it.  It should start without the clutch pulled in as long as it's in neutral.  The second problem was that the cruise control would not set.,  Now, I'm not sure if either of these problems were there when I bought the trike or not because I don't remember even using the cruise or trying to start the bike in neutral.  I had it in my mind that it was a wiring problem from when the Hannigan. kit was installed because the reverse also uses the neutral switch.  I tracked a LOT of wiring trying to figure that out but found no issues with the wiring.,  I then ordered a new ignition cut off relay.  That ended up correcting the issue of the bike not starting in neutral so that was good.  Cruise still wouldn't set though.  The troubleshooting guiide in the manual leaves a bit to be desired as it doesn't explain the results correctly.  At any rate, I finally determined that the cancel switch might be the issue.  I ended up taking the switches on the brake lever apart.  It appears that somebody pressed the cancel switch to hard and it had got cocked a bit sideways, not even noticeable from the outside, and it wasn'nt making up.  Got it reset and put back together and SUCCESS,.  Now everything it working like it should.  I've spent several hours trying to figure this out.  My first problem was assuming that the two issues were related.

Can you still be cross-eyed?

• Like 1

Electrical is my least favorite also. I can usually muddle my way thru. My. It would run fine some days, My Victory I had a couple things going on. Some days run fine, others 10-15 min and cut off, sometimes it would catch rite back others a couple minutes and would restart and run  OK. Go worse about the cutting out. Their info in the shop manual is thin at best. You havent lived until you have to get into CAN Buss stuff. Ended up crank sensor, even though it was with in "tech limits"