IGNORED

Carburetor modification

I read a few posts on here about switching out the 4 carb system with a single carb. I did this on my '83. Absolutely amazing! Now has electric choke and fuel shut-off. Just took a 700 mile road trip. Averaged 45.9 mpg!

Edited by Baldphil
hit wrong key
  • Like 1

https://picclick.com/Yamaha-Venture-Xvz1200-1300-Single-Vw-Carburetor-Conversion-254019228752.html Here is a link to get you started. Mine was a little cheaper only because it didn't include the air filter. Shop around and u may find a better deal. You will need to buy different clamps that are more heavy duty. I got my clamps at a NAPA store. Here are a couple pics. I have to say it was the best investment I've made on my bike. Love the electric choke and fuel shut-off! Any questions, feel free to ask.

20230611_190818.jpg

Just now, Baldphil said:

https://picclick.com/Yamaha-Venture-Xvz1200-1300-Single-Vw-Carburetor-Conversion-254019228752.html Here is a link to get you started. Mine was a little cheaper only because it didn't include the air filter. Shop around and u may find a better deal. You will need to buy different clamps that are more heavy duty. I got my clamps at a NAPA store. Here are a couple pics. I have to say it was the best investment I've made on my bike. Love the electric choke and fuel shut-off! Any questions, feel free to ask.

20230611_190818.jpg

And yeah, so much easier than trying to rebuild old wornout carbs!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SamCan said:

I don't think it's available anymore...too bad

I'd like to do this on my 86

Can't see it on ebay or Amazon...

You guys know any other place I could get this kit?

Scroll up to post #3 and try the link

• 1 month later...

Personally I prefer the OEM carb setup. For one thing with four carbs you can balance the engine better which is specially nice if your compression between cylinders vary. With a single carb you cannot, you can only attain a general adjustment across the board. If a carb fails you can still run on the other three to get somewhere other than the side of the road. Finally looking at the setup you would also reduce air volume though I guess air velocity would increase, maybe. There is a reason why in the muscle car hay day we replaced 2 barrel carbs with four barrel or even 6 packs. JMHO.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 3

On 8/17/2023 at 7:24 AM, saddlebum said:

Personally I prefer the OEM carb setup. For one thing with four carbs you can balance the engine better which is specially nice if your compression between cylinders vary. With a single carb you cannot, you can only attain a general adjustment across the board. If a carb fails you can still run on the other three to get somewhere other than the side of the road. Finally looking at the setup you would also reduce air volume though I guess air velocity would increase, maybe. There is a reason why in they muscle car hay day we replace 2 barrel carbs with four barrel or even 6 packs. JMHO.

We need a “love” icon.  My thoughts exactly!  First thing that came to mind for me is “single point of failure”  yeah we take risks only having two wheels but why add.