IGNORED

cb noise

Hope you can help me, i have an 2000 venture and have had this problem for some time, i will be talking fine on the cb and when i am not i will get this loud white noise static noise ,over the head sets and over the speakers depending what it is switched, very annoying and my riding buddy says he can hear it over his cb also, any ideas, also sometimes i have to turn the squelch up all the way. it is speratic and does not due it all the time. i do not know where to start. also when ever i talk there always seems seems to be back ground static, thanks for the help..

I don't think I've seen that exact problem described before. I've seen numerous cases where there was engine noise heard over the speakers. If it's engine noise, it will speed up and slow down with the RPM of the bike. Doesn't sound like what you are describing but if it is, you can usually eliminate it by just slightly rerouting the wires under the left side of the gas tank. If you follow the wire, you will see that it is routed under the left side of the tank and in some cases, seems to be too close to the ignition coils and picks up static. I've just reached under the tank and move the wires slightly and got rid of the noise.

If it's not that, then I would suspect a bad connection. First, make sure you have eliminated a problem headset. Have you tried plugging somebody else's headset in and seeing if the problem still occurs?

If it's not a headset, then it could be the connectors inside the fairing. Many people have had problems with poor connections in that area. It means splitting the fairing to get to them. Not a difficult job and if you haven't done it, there's a writeup in the Tech Library. Once you have split the fairing, on the right side you will find 5 round connectors that are probably 3/4" - 1" in diameter. Unplug each of them and then plug them in again. Do that several times to rub away any oxidation and etc. Most of us then apply just a bit of dielectric grease to prevent future oxidation.

Hopefully that will solve your problem.

Hope you can help me, i have an 2000 venture and have had this problem for some time, i will be talking fine on the cb and when i am not i will get this loud white noise static noise ,over the head sets and over the speakers depending what it is switched, very annoying and my riding buddy says he can hear it over his cb also, any ideas, also sometimes i have to turn the squelch up all the way. it is speratic and does not due it all the time. i do not know where to start. also when ever i talk there always seems seems to be back ground static, thanks for the help..

I'm assuming that you hear this as you're riding down the road and it last for only a few seconds at a time...

If this is the case, does it happen in the same location all the time? It's possible that you're just getting interference from an outside source. Some causes of this are as follows:

1. Automatic opening doors in stores and gas stations.
  2. Silent alarms if they have a wireless setup between the various zones.
  3. Large electric transformers.

As to the static that comes through when you key up to speak...

If you are on a channel that is experiencing a large amount of background noise, it will come through when you speak if your riding partners squelch isn't set up correctly. If I'm riding with a friend in close formation, I max the squelch out so as not to be bother by radios out farther on the same channel. I only back it down when we get spread out in a larger group...

Hope this is of some help.

Doug

If the noise goes up and down with the RPM of the motor, it could also be Radio Frequency (RF) noise coming from your ignition system.

Check to see if you have resistive spark plugs and wires.. the previous owner could have swapped it out for more HP.

Also a loose spark plug wire, a broken spark plug wire, or a broken spark plug can cause RF noise.

It is due to the electricity jumping a gap like lightning...

The gap of your spark plug makes RF noise, but you don't hear it on your radio because the metal of the motor makes a complete shield.

Once I followed a car that made noise on my radio. When he stopped I asked him about it, and he showed me the magneto that was on his car....... LOTS of wide band RF nose generation comes from a magneto. They should be use off road only.

This sounds like white noise that is sometimes generated through the mike if

you do not have the sock over the mike or if there is a hole in the sock letting wind

rush over the mike .. When you are not transmitting, you are hearing the wind over the

mike through the intercom and when you are transmitting, the wind rushing over the

mike is also transmitted .... Worth checking your mike sock ...

• 2 years later...

In years past when I installed CB radios in my cars and trucks, I always made it a practice to get a noise filter for the 12V power wire. Usually bought them at Radio Shack. But, it filters out the engine noise in the radio quite effectively.

I seriously doubt that the Ventures have such an animal on them. My 2000 RSV and my friend's 2001 RSV both suffer the noise issue.

All that is left is to find the power wire to the CB and install the filter.

Hope this helps.

Steve

:smile5:

Mic-Mutes got rid of the white noise on my set. Being IC is open all the time and set on 15 for me and wife to hear one another. Try setting the squelch, IC volume for your preference (higher the volume,more white noise). Clean and D-grease all connections will help as well.

Power lines and transformers are murder, I just turn up the squelch high or higher as needed depending on the range I want to listen too within our group. Receiving skips from some of these Mexican, Hillbillies, and Rural Ma-Bell radio clubs get annoying as well.

BEER30

Power lines and transformers are murder[bEER30

I have been noticing almost w/out fail every time that when I go under a power line that crosses the street, I get noise. Once I pass, it goes away. Can get annoying when you are on a street w/ alot of them.

Also there was a post w/ in a month or 2 ago about solar flares (don't remember the term they used in the post), were pretty active at that time. Not sure if they still are.

Squelch is like a barn door. Once it is open everything comes through. Keep your squelch set high enough so weak or distant signals and interference are blocked. But when one signal is strong enough to open the door everything comes through with it. Very strong interference can blast your ear drums. Power lines, power tools, blenders, cars with bad spark plug wires can all cause interference and noise.

Mike