IGNORED

Air leaking from shocks

Is it common for some air to leak from the shocks? I set the rear shock @ 20# before a 1000 mile trip home last week. When I got home it had 15# in it. Not a big deal, I was just wondering if they normally should hold air for good or not? Thanks for the info...JR

I usually run the Auto Setting, on Medium setting on my 89 , I weight 200lb and carry about 25 lb in the bags most of the time. That usually puts the Rear Pressure at 43 lb. 20lb of air, in the Rear, I would consider a pretty low setting.

Use the Auto mode, L M and H, and see what you get.

On the front, as long as you have about 8 to 10 lb your OK.

If the rear is leaking, its most likley an O-Ring Seal at one of the Hose connections between the Pump and the Shock. There are Several joints in the Hose system, but you have to pull the trunk off to get to all of them.

Jerry,

If this problem is on your 06 RSV, I would suggest you have a problem and you can probably can see the evidence of oil leaking at the bottom of the shock through the rubber boot. If this is the case, you need to take it to your dealer and have them replace the shock.

However if it's on your 1st gen, there are several points that might be causing this decrease in pressure.

Rick

It's on my 06 RSV. I took a quick look tonight & didn't see any oil below the shock. I'll take a more thorough look tomorrow & maybe just keep an eye on it & see if it repeats.

If so, should replacing the shock be covered under warranty?

I checked the valve stem & it was tight...but I unscrewed it & reseated it tight again. So far it's held air. I haven't had it on any long rides yet but before it was losing air just in the garage. I'll keep an eye on it & if it continues leaking, I'll add it to the warranty service list for next time I take it into the shop. Thanks for the help!...JR

It seems to me that I lose 5 lbs of air pressure just by checking the pressure. But then I'm using a large gauge that is normally used for truck tires. I was wondering if you are riding 1 or 2 up? I have to keep about 50 - 60 lbs in mine to keep the fender from rubbing 2 up. I do have a lowering kit on mine though.

I don't seem to have a problem losing air by checking with the Progressive pump...maybe 1/2# if anything. My initial question about losing 5# was after a 1000 mile trip with 2 up, and starting with 20# in them. Prior to that I ran awhile @ 40#, then awhile @ 0#, just to see how the handling changed for me. At 0# I didn't notice any rubbing, just a little rougher on the bumps.

I think air leak and fluid leak are 2 separate issues... not connected... Mine had fluid leak but still held air pressure... I got it changed while under warranty... Don't tell the steeler you ever used an air compressor on it.. they might try to void the warranty.. Cuz a 120 Lb blast from a gas station compressor will blow the seals in a heartbeat.. Tell them you fill it with a hand pump only.

My experience has been most of the time it holds air... might drop a few pounds over a few weeks... then other times it don't lose a drop... I figure it might have to do with full extention... If you go over the crest of a hill and almost feel like you're airbourne over the top... the shock gets fully extended and may cause some air loss... just guessin cuz it's been a sometimes thing for me.

It seems to me that I lose 5 lbs of air pressure just by checking the pressure. But then I'm using a large gauge that is normally used for truck tires. I was wondering if you are riding 1 or 2 up? I have to keep about 50 - 60 lbs in mine to keep the fender from rubbing 2 up. I do have a lowering kit on mine though.

You CANNOT use a normal gauge to check the pressure - maybe in the rear, but certainly NOT for the forks. The only option here is to use the gauge mounted with the pump and the zero-loss chuck that goes with it.

Frankly, I don't know why you would need that much pressure just for riding two-up unless you two are VERY heavy. I weigh 250, my wife about 135, and even when the bike is fully loaded with trip gear AND us both, it NEVER rubs with only 45 lbs in the rear shock. (but be polite and don't mention that the weights I just gave you + other gear put us over the GVW for this machine!). ;-)

Steve the max air is 57.. I wouldn't be doin 60