IGNORED

Mounting GPS?

frankd

I'm looking for ways to mount my Nextar Q3. I saw an add on E-bay for a mount that would attach to a 1" handle bar, but of course on a first generation Venture the handlebars aren't round OR 1" diameter. I could just use the suction cup on the windshield, but I'd really like something better. Any ideas??

How good does the suction cup work on a motorcycle??

Frank D.

I'm looking for ways to mount my Nextar Q3. I saw an add on E-bay for a mount that would attach to a 1" handle bar, but of course on a first generation Venture the handlebars aren't round OR 1" diameter. I could just use the suction cup on the windshield, but I'd really like something better. Any ideas??

Frank D.

http://www.rammount.com/ They have solid mounting systems for bikes, look at the options here.

I put a hopnel tank panel on my 2nd gen. This panel has a removeable pocket. I then cut a piece of velcro to fit the gps unit and stuck it to the hopnel to fit under the pocket. When I want to use the gps, i remove the pocket, stow it in the trunk, and mount the gps (with the matching velcro pad) to the hopnel panel. It makes a nice looking installation, you don't see it when the pocket is installed, and the velcro is never visible when either the gps or the hopnel pocket is installed. The velcro provides a solid vibration free mount, and shows no signs of ever coming loose or otherwise failing.

How good does the suction cup work on a motorcycle??

Frank D.

Frank,

I lost a GPS last year on the way to Georgia that was mounted on the suction cup, got ran over by a semi also.

I bought a new one and drilled a hole through the windshield, not going to fall off now.

Did a little mod to the suction cup, have 1/4 inch stainless bolt through the mount and windshield. Put a stainless fender washer on the outside of the windshield with a rubber washer under it. Works great.

Jerry

Last winter I mounted my GPS with a fabricated mount.

You can see it here

http://www.delusional-mechanic.com/

It hasn't fallen off yet.

Hi Scotty,

I just bought a Magellan Maestro 3250 GPS and am looking at ways to mount it on my 89. I see that you mounted a GPS on your 1st gen but I couldn't tell from the pictures on your web site how it was done. What did you attach it to? Do you have anymore instructions or pics?

Has anyone else mounted this model or similiar on their 1st gen and if so, where?

Iowa Guy

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Scotty,

I just bought a Magellan Maestro 3250 GPS and am looking at ways to mount it on my 89. I see that you mounted a GPS on your 1st gen but I couldn't tell from the pictures on your web site how it was done. What did you attach it to? Do you have anymore instructions or pics?

Has anyone else mounted this model or similiar on their 1st gen and if so, where?

Iowa Guy

I was just looking at it too. Click on the first picture of the GPS mounted and it will enlarge the picture for you. It looks like he made a mount out of flat bar and a couple of bolts. I hope that's right.

Iowa Guy

Iowa Guy,

I've used the RAM mount for my GPS, I use the ball mount that bolts to the front master cylinder. All you need is longer bolts and the mount snugs right up. The rest of the RAM system works great, holds the GPS steady over bumps and I can angle it however I want. Also, with the wingnut that tightens things down, it's easy to take the unit off and lock it up when I stop.

Paul

I was just looking at it too. Click on the first picture of the GPS mounted and it will enlarge the picture for you. It looks like he made a mount out of flat bar and a couple of bolts. I hope that's right.

It is a fuel line clamp from a 5.9 liter cummins. It is clamped to the bar at the top of the radio. The bar is the same size as a injection line. It holds quite well.

Scotty