IGNORED

Progressive Insurance

Floyd

I was rear-ended by someone in a car last week. The accident wasn't bad but there was damage. I called Progressive the following day and reported the accident. I also scheduled the claims adjuster to come over this week and look it over.

Since talking to him initially I took a closer look at the damage and thought that it just wasn't worth having the insurance company get involved since I had a $1,000 deductible. The adjuster suggested he come over and look at it anyway just to make sure. When he got here he went over everything very carefully and professionally.

He called me up today after getting prices on what needed to be repaired. His estimate was that there was almost $3,000 in damage.

I'm glad he convinced me that he should look things over.

Did you know that a saddlebag (new) is around $900 list? Ouch. If anyone sees a left 2003 (rasberry & sand) saddlebag on eBay, could you fire me an email?

...and I have nothing nice to say about Progressive!!!

Please expand on this. I just hit a deer and totalled the bike and have PIP and Medical expenses building every day. So far they have seamed to be good, I don't think I got what the bike was really worth but I didn't lose money on it. But your comment kinda makes me uneasy.

Please expand on this. I just hit a deer and totalled the bike and have PIP and Medical expenses building every day. So far they have seamed to be good, I don't think I got what the bike was really worth but I didn't lose money on it. But your comment kinda makes me uneasy.

I can expand on this from my experience. I was told that Progressive was the best MC insurance out there. I went to their web site to to their online comparison and while I was filling out the information I wasn't sure what type coverage was required here so I "STOPPED" filling out the information left the website. Well 3 weeks later I get a letter from the DMV stating that both my MC plates have been revoked and in order to get them reinstated I had to pay $200.00 a piece for the bikes plus new registration fees. Reason the DVM gave me was that my insurance company "PROGRESSIVE" has informed them that I canceled my insurance coverage with them. I ended up taking 2 days off work over a 2 week period to unfarkel this mess. Called Progressive and they said and I quote "It is our policy to report all insurance cancellations to the appropriate authority". I asked them how I could have canceled a policy I never had with them and they had no answer for that one. Not even an apology.

Some folks have good luck with them and I would guess it's because of their agent having a conscience. I will not give a company my business that cause that much heartburn and doesn't even apologize for it.

Guest BigJohnD

I have had nothing but good experiences with them. All the bikes in and out get on and off the policy without a problem...no matter if I call my local agent or the 800 number.

They handled my get off in 2006 very well...and were prompt about every aspect of it.

A bit of advice...keep your reciepts for all your riding gear and all your aftermarket add ons to the bike. Progressive paid for everything I had reciepts for..including the helmet, jacket, cd player etc. It does add up when you come to replace those things.

One vote for Progressive.

Seems to me that the person (or their insurance) that rear-ended you should be taking care of the damages and not Progressive. I have also had good experience with Progressive.

DT

One would think, but Michigan is a No-Fault state.

I had a couple of claims over the years with Progressive and always found them very responsive and fair. The only complaints I had was the way the rate always increased every year (even without any claims). I finally got tired of them playing that game and switched to Nationwide (saved a couple of hundred bucks), who I had last year when I crashed the 05. Took them a long time to resolve the claim, but that was because they lost two adjusters during the process. I also did not push them because I was injured and not able to personally assess the bike to determine if I wanted to keep it. In the end, they did exactly what I wanted and gave me a very fair settlement. So one thumbs up for Progressive and one thumbs up for Nationwide. Ride Safe,

Goose

Guest Popeye

I checked Progressive, but their rates were more than triple what I pay through Farmers [$84./yr], for the same coverage. I use 100/300/100 with 1k deductible.

Farmers has always sent a check instead of an adjuster.

Progressive has been really helpful with our accident. they were ready to write me a check for $14500 a few days after the accident but the same bike just cost me $16900 with the accessories. Yes, my old 07 did have 30k miles on it but I wasnt out of pocket $2400 with it . I told my adjuster I wont settle for that since its not my fault and this other driver pretty much screwed up our life for a while. Like eddyg, our medical expenses are building fast and all the co-pays are out of pocket. I havent even heard from the other drivers insurance company so we have finally decided a month after the accident to get a lawyer. The lawyer is the last thing I wanted to do. Got an appt thursday. Nothing is ever as it seems.

Eddy,

You was totally luck. The deer didn't have insurance?

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Progressive is the modrn day version of Allstate of the '60s and '70's where no reputible collision shop wanted to handle any claims thru them. Let me tell you the story of my wife's last accident. A local yahoo made a left hand turn right in front of her nowhere near an intersection. At the time the guy admitted fault and notified his insurance company, Progressive. A police report was filed, but a day or two later an adsjuster came out and "investigated" the accident scene. He called us and said we had a problem because there was skid marks at the scene, supposedly made by my wife. When I got the phone message (he didn't talk directly to either of us) I immediately went up and looked. Sure enough, there was some skid marks made by a tandem wheel, with a width and tread pattern nowhere near my wife's. So, the obvious conclusion was, either it was such a horrendous crash that made my wife's car to be approximately 16 inches wide, or the adjuster was on drugs. Also, these skid marks (probably made by a rear brake seizing up on a trailer) were around 200 feet long. Now, I am not necessarily a rocket scientist, but perhaps you can explain how a car going approximately 30 mph, the legal speed limit there, with ABS could leave such long skid marks and not deploy the air bags???

Our insurance company ended up sueing them for complete damages. Our agent got a good laugh out of the story and said not to worry, as we were not charged with the accident. Never saw an increase in premiums or anything...

Now, what I am wondering, if Floyd got rear ended, why is HIS insurance company paying, and why should HE wory about the deductible???? The guy who hit him is at fault no matter what state, and is completely liable for all damage and medical bills. Oh my back, oh my neck, oh my lawyer...

Guest cwil2988

I use Dairyland, so far, so good.

about thesaddlebags, I was bidding on a White left side for my TD on ebay the other week. I quit at 25.00, and it sold for 38 something. made me mad, but I didn't really need it, just wanted a spare to have around in case of emergency

:cool10:

Now, what I am wondering, if Floyd got rear ended, why is HIS insurance company paying, and why should HE wory about the deductible???? The guy who hit him is at fault no matter what state, and is completely liable for all damage and medical bills. Oh my back, oh my neck, oh my lawyer...

No, sorry. In Michigan it's a no-fault state and that means nobody was at fault. Not even the big Lincoln Continental that hit me as I was sitting waiting for traffic to clear. Nope it wasn't their fault that they sent me across two oncoming lanes of traffic and onto the far sidewalk. Nobody to blame, it just happened. I don't disagree that I *should* be able to sue, but I can't. Not in Michigan.

Here's another one to chew over too. In Michigan a motorcycle is not considered a "vehicle" as is a car. If I was in my car I could have a mini-suit to get back some or all of my deductible but because I was on a motorcycle I'm (as they say) S.O.L. Sigh...

Ah well, I'm unhurt, I didn't drop the bike and everything is repairable. I'm going to replace what's necessary and fix the rest and I should actually come out even. Life is good!

Floyd,

Even though we are a no fault state the other driver is responsible for the first $500 of damage. Make sure you contact his insurance company and tell them you have a "mini tort claim" for the accident. They should cut a check straight to you.

I assume you were on the bike? If it was parked he is responsible for 100% of the damage.

Well, according to Progressive, not if it's a motorcycle. A bike is handled differently than a car. I've been rear-ended in a car and yes, Progressive had the other insurance company pay the difference and I had no out of pocket expenses.

Hey, I'm alive, unhurt and can ride another day. I'm happy.