The 83/84 I just picked up has a problem shifting. The arm connected to the thru-stator cover shaft just wants to spin. I'm not sure what the problem is but suspect it may be the arm on the other end either coming off by loosing the circlip, or the spline being striped out. I'm never been in this area and my question is, How hard is it to get up in there to check things out? Can it be done without having to drop the exhaust and collector?? The motor is running great. Purrs. Anyone been there...done that???

Sounds like you have to pull the both of lft side Case Covers, and repair something in the two linkage joints that are under the covers.

Hey Jack, I thought you were going to sell 2 or 3 or those old bikes, and get a 2nd gen !!! Whats the deal ??

OH, I canceled at Morro Bay yesterday.

As I understand it, we will be at the Motel 6, ( south ) right. Not the M-6 ( North ) in SLO.

Will call them today,

Sounds like you have to pull the both of lft side Case Covers, and repair something in the two linkage joints that are under the covers.

Hey Jack, I thought you were going to sell 2 or 3 or those old bikes, and get a 2nd gen !!! Whats the deal ??

OH, I canceled at Morro Bay yesterday.

As I understand it, we will be at the Motel 6, ( south ) right. Not the M-6 ( North ) in SLO.

Will call them today,

10-4 on M6 South George. Use the national group number posted by Jercoupe.

I had an 88 1300 motor that I had a chance to tip on it's side and found an inner cavity that held all the interior shift linkage and the clutch slave. I was just hoping someone would know a 'trick' on getting to the back side of the shift rod without dropping all the exhaust and standing on my head to get to it. I'm getting too old for that. I guess it would be the same thing if someone wanted to pull the shifter rod out of the stator cover

Can you turn the shaft through the stator cover a full turn? If so I have to believe you are either slipping where the linkage clamps to the shaft, or the linkage is broken off near the shaft. I think if it were anything else the linkage would bind before you got a full turn.

If you pull the middle gear cover you can see the linkage. Since you need to pull that cover to free the wires to the stator cover you might as well start there and see what's going on. You'll loose about a pint of oil when you open it.

Hopefully you're just missing the bolt on the clamp. Anything else will be tough as it's darn tight in there.

Edited by MiCarl

Like to add another question to jacks post.

Jack sold me a 88 1300 motor for my bike. The cases on each side of the motor have the 1300 eblems . The motor in Jacks bike is a 1300 (maybe) has a 1300 emblem on the clutch side and a 1200 YRS emblem on the stator side.

Question:

Did the 1300 motors enterchange emblems on the 1300 motors??

Kurt

Jack, in the process of putting my lower case back on, I neglected to put the shift linkage in there. Now, with the motor in the bike, no collector or exhaust in the way, I discovered last night my only option is to pull the left case off. There is a circlip on the inside of the cover on the shaft that is almost impossible to get off. Maybe if you had the bike way up in the air, but I doubt it. That is my first project tonite. Will let you know any tricks I learn on the way, but I believe you'll have to pull the cover. And remember the front knuckle goes up, not down!!!!!

Dan

Can you turn the shaft through the stator cover a full turn? If so I have to believe you are either slipping where the linkage clamps to the shaft, or the linkage is broken off near the shaft. I think if it were anything else the linkage would bind before you got a full turn.

If you pull the middle gear cover you can see the linkage. Since you need to pull that cover to free the wires to the stator cover you might as well start there and see what's going on. You'll loose about a pint of oil when you open it.

Hopefully you're just missing the bolt on the clamp. Anything else will be tough as it's darn tight in there.

I'll give that a shot Carl. At least I'll be able to determine what's moving and what's not. The arm and shaft do rotate without shifting, and I think Kurt did say it did a 360. Kurt played with it, and did get it into gear and had to reverse the arm to get it to come out. I'll get into it tomorrow morning when this wind dies down. You're right about being tight in there, but I've gotten real good at r&r-ing the clutch slave, so that should help....

Like to add another question to jacks post.

Jack sold me a 88 1300 motor for my bike. The cases on each side of the motor have the 1300 eblems . The motor in Jacks bike is a 1300 (maybe) has a 1300 emblem on the clutch side and a 1200 YRS emblem on the stator side.

Question:

Did the 1300 motors enterchange emblems on the 1300 motors??

Kurt

Kurt the stator cover has YAMAHA/YICS on it. Doesn't say 1200. Don't confoose me any more than I already am..... :) So it still could be an '86 1300, or... a 12 with a 1300 clutch cover. Only pulling the clutch cover will tell for sure. However, I just looked at the '87 and it has the 1300 stator cover.

Jack, in the process of putting my lower case back on, I neglected to put the shift linkage in there. Now, with the motor in the bike, no collector or exhaust in the way, I discovered last night my only option is to pull the left case off. There is a circlip on the inside of the cover on the shaft that is almost impossible to get off. Maybe if you had the bike way up in the air, but I doubt it. That is my first project tonite. Will let you know any tricks I learn on the way, but I believe you'll have to pull the cover. And remember the front knuckle goes up, not down!!!!!

Dan

Keep very detailed notes Dan.... Lead the way..

Kurt the stator cover has YAMAHA/YICS on it. Doesn't say 1200. Don't confoose me any more than I already am..... :) So it still could be an '86 1300, or... a 12 with a 1300 clutch cover. Only pulling the clutch cover will tell for sure. However, I just looked at the '87 and it has the 1300 stator cover.

So far every 1300 motor I have seen has the 1300 eblem's.

It could be that the stator cover on the motor could have been messed up and they put the YICS cover on it..............Good luck!

Besides confooossing you is fun!

Kurt

Condor...

does the mystery engine have 1300 intake runners with just the synch ports....or has the YICS ports as well as the synchs?

Well it ain't a mystery no more.... I was getting tired of speculation, went out and pulled the clutch cover, and it has a 1300cc 86-93 clutch basket. Maybe the first 86's came with the yics covers until they ran out??? In any event, it's a 1300.... :thumbsup2:

Hey Jack, before you pull the left side covers, Do the AC voltage check from the Stator !!

How many miles on this beast? You might need to do the Starter Clutch, and the Stator, and the Shift Linkage, And you might as well pull the Starter too and clean it up !! he he he

P.S. Order some new gaskets

Not that i want to upset you, but who says this Clutch means this HAS to be a 1300cc Motor ?

One could have change the whole Basket/Hub/Cover Arrangement ?

Because .. the 1200 cc Cover/six Spring Cover doesn't fit to the Diaphragm Style Clutch Assembly.

Not that i want to upset you, but who says this Clutch means this HAS to be a 1300cc Motor ?

One could have change the whole Basket/Hub/Cover Arrangement ?

Because .. the 1200 cc Cover/six Spring Cover doesn't fit to the Diaphragm Style Clutch Assembly.

I thought about that, but it's not very likely that someone would go thru that kind of trouble to change out a clutch basket and move backwards. There's all kinds of 'what ifs', but I've drawn the line in the sand. It's a 1300. Just like the last Owner entered into his maintence log.

Hey Jack, before you pull the left side covers, Do the AC voltage check from the Stator !!

How many miles on this beast? You might need to do the Starter Clutch, and the Stator, and the Shift Linkage, And you might as well pull the Starter too and clean it up !! he he he

P.S. Order some new gaskets

George, the milage is 99K, but the 1300 motor was put in at 88K. According to the owners son it's been to Alaska, and the east coast a couple of times. The starter clutch sounds solid, and the white stator wires and plug were the typical mess. So they've been fixed and the stator is statin'.... :) The carbs have been pulled, cleaned, and sync'd. Brakes need to be taken care of, but things are lookin' up.....

Not that i want to shoot too much Holes in your Theory, but think about mine ...

It's 1200 cc Motor, a previous Owner heard about the new Clutch(Vmax/Diaphragm Style) is holding better than the six Springs Version and replaced the whole Assembly once the Clutch Plates were gone. What Kind of 'Trouble' you're talking about ? With the proper Tools at Hand, changing the Hub and the Basket doesn't take more than 10 Minutes extra Time.

On my Max, i changed the Plates last Week, took me 20 Minutes to replaced the Parts and bolt everything down, but 40 Minutes to get the old Gasket scratched off the Cover.

Not that i want to shoot too much Holes in your Theory, but think about mine ...

It's 1200 cc Motor, a previous Owner heard about the new Clutch(Vmax/Diaphragm Style) is holding better than the six Springs Version and replaced the whole Assembly once the Clutch Plates were gone. What Kind of 'Trouble' you're talking about ? With the proper Tools at Hand, changing the Hub and the Basket doesn't take more than 10 Minutes extra Time.

On my Max, i changed the Plates last Week, took me 20 Minutes to replaced the Parts and bolt everything down, but 40 Minutes to get the old Gasket scratched off the Cover.

Squeeze... You're playing 'yes but', and 'what if'. Theory's are a dime a dozen, everybody has one. It's a 1300........:detective:

I agree 100 Percent. It's a 1300 cc Motor ... At least, you're willing to believe that.

I thought about how to figure this out, but the only secure Way to stipulate it, is to measure the Piston Diameter. But i'm sure, you're not willing to undo a Head or drop the Oil pan.

I agree 100 Percent. It's a 1300 cc Motor ... At least, you're willing to believe that.

I thought about how to figure this out, but the only secure Way to stipulate it, is to measure the Piston Diameter. But i'm sure, you're not willing to undo a Head or drop the Oil pan.

If it looses 2nd gear, I'll agree, it's a 1200......:whistling: Until then it's a 13... :)

Jack, sorry I didn't get back to you last night, it was 12:30 when I quit workin on the bike for the night. Unfortunately, to get the knuckles lined up correctly, as far as having the slot on the knuckles line up with the marks on the shafts to ensure correct positioning, you'll have to pull the cover. I tried several different ways to do it, but if you try to just pull the shaft (circlip removed) to slide the knuckle on there, it is impossible to get the circlip back on. There's just not enough room to get fingers, etc. in there to get it done. The other problem is being able to tighten up the capture bolt that goes in there. If you pull the cover, it will at least enable you to grease up the shaft a little and make sure everything is OK in there. (Ask Squeeze how to check your oil splash wire in the crank bolt!)

Sorry I couldn't make it easier on you, but I tried!

BTW, I like the way to see if it's a 12 or 1300. "If 2nd blows, its a 1200, if it goes slow, it's a 1300".

:080402gudl_prv: