IGNORED

help info needed?

jprider4life

Ok I may come across a great deal and need some info,I been looking into getting a GPS and been looking for a good unit that will work good in my car and on my bike and the price for these units are more than I want to spend, the only one that has a good price is the Garmin quest at under 350$ but the features are old and to compare what the better ones have I feel like I'm getting cheated. So I have a friend that has a newer style unit that usually goes for about 600$ and he will give it to me for about 300$ but when I look into this unit theres no info on how it will handle the vibration on beening on a motorcycle. so my question to all is does anyone have ever or still doeas use a GPS unit on there bike thats not built for that and did you have a Problem doing so.

Thank you for your help and sorry for the long letter.:bang head:

I seem to recall that some folks had problems with certain makes failing to vibration but not positive.

It might be helpful to know what make and model he is offering you.

I use a Megellan Gold, which is now technologically outdated, but no problems with vibration.

I have had bothe a Magellan handheld and now currently have a Lowrance iWay 500C. Several people in my 2 riding clubs have Garmins.I have not heard of any of them having virbation problems as far as hurting the machines.

My MHO is that the smaller the screen, the more dangerous it is to look at on the cycle. I would never attempt to attach a handheld to a MC again.

The Lowrance has a 5" screen which I believe is still the largets out there. Most others are around 3.5" these days.

Make sure the one you are looking at is NOT Straightline only navigation. That means it shows you a straight line fon a mape rom point A to Point B and does not take you turn by turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious. What do you guys use your GPS for? Do they serve any real purpose, or is it because of the cool factor? I LOVE gadgets but I've never need one and don't know what use one might be to me. What else do they do besides act like a digital map and let ya mark your favorite spots, etc.?

Well, keeping in mind that mine is older and doesn't have the fancy technology of the newer ones, I use it on long trips. I don't use mine on day rides usually. We plot our route and use it instead of a map. Its helpful letting you know you're going the right way for one. It lets you know how far to your next stop and how long it will take. Helps find things in an unfamiliar city or town and several other useful functions.

When on trips in the US which is frequent, I switch it to miles and MPH cause the bike is in KPH and kilometers which makes it easier in towns especially to know I'm not speeding. And GPS is much more accurate than the bikes speedo. Other useful functions but these are just a few for me.

Guest rande

I use the Garmin streetpolit c530 and have had no problems, it is very user friendly and I can use with gloves on. Screen is easy to see and it is great for finding restaurants, hotels etc. You can buy stick on mounts really cheaply and move from your scoot to car, and the battery lasts for a long time if not connected to a power supply. Has a USB connection for the computer and charges when connected. I love it.

Just curious. What do you guys use your GPS for? Do they serve any real purpose, or is it because of the cool factor? I LOVE gadgets but I've never need one and don't know what use one might be to me. What else do they do besides act like a digital map and let ya mark your favorite spots, etc.?

Twice now I've used it to find fuel when I got a little lower than I felt comfortable with.

More than a few times, I've used it to reroute me because I missed a turn or wanted to try to get around some traffic/construction in an unfamiliar place.

Mine will hold 5 gigs of mp3's. No searching for a local station unless I want something different.

Sometimes I just go for a ride. I see a road I like and go down it. I don't pay much attention to where I am. When it's time to head back, I just select home/[motel/campsite/friends house/what ever] and it takes me there.

I also carry a paper map... just in case!

Guest mrmom

I have a Garmin NUVI 350 & I love it! Use it both in the car & on the bike. The suction cup mount hols great on the inside of the windshield. I have had no problems with vibration. You can pick one of these models up fairly cheap now that they have come out with the 360. Try Tigerdirect.com. Last time I checked, they were running about $400 new!