IGNORED

1983 Royale colors

It's been my understanding that all the '83 1200TDK Royale's came in Gold, and the standard 1200TD's came in Red, plus a Black Midnight. That's what it also says for the colors in the tech section. Well guess what kimosabe?? I just bought a 1983 1200TDK in RED.... The born on date shows 10/83, but the serial number is a low DA000316. From the date I thought it might be possible to have a late '83 model that had received '84 clothing. But the serial number says it's the 216th Royale built? I like to play detective and figure things out by looking at the clues, but this thing has me stumped??? It's definately rare...

It's been my understanding that all the '83 1200TDK Royale's came in Gold, and the standard 1200TD's came in Red, plus a Black Midnight. That's what it also says for the colors in the tech section. Well guess what kimosabe?? I just bought a 1983 1200TDK in RED.... The born on date shows 10/83, but the serial number is a low DA000316. From the date I thought it might be possible to have a late '83 model that had received '84 clothing. But the serial number says it's the 216th Royale built? I like to play detective and figure things out by looking at the clues, but this thing has me stumped??? It's definately rare...

jack, how many bikes , does it take to make a man feel "complete"?

lol

:whistling:

just jt

Condor...

I know of a couple of guys who had a low mileage bike in one color, found a high mileage bike in a color they wanted and swapped plastic with the lower mileage bike, resold the higher mileage bike with their original plastic on it. That might explain yours...or of course accident scenario, changed colors while replacing panels.

I'm surprised they would still be building 83 models that late in calendar year.

Condor...

I know of a couple of guys who had a low mileage bike in one color, found a high mileage bike in a color they wanted and swapped plastic with the lower mileage bike, resold the higher mileage bike with their original plastic on it. That might explain yours...or of course accident scenario, changed colors while replacing panels.

I'm surprised they would still be building 83 models that late in calendar year.

Actually they must have done more than that. This one has factory cruise on it like an '84. Missed that the first time around. I also haven't been able to get to the frame Vin yet to check to see if it matches the decal. The place that originally sold the bike to the PO used , was a parts salve shop, and after changing to a used bike retailer in the 80's, selling out to a new owner in early 2000, they finally went out of business last year.... They did a great job mounting my Avon for me the last time around... Anyway, They could have taken an '83 title, the side decal strut, lic. plate, put it on an '84 bike. The frame vin number stamped on the front fork tube will tell the tale...

The PO kept very good maintence records, and he first bought it in 1991 with 13K on the odo, and to muddy the waters even further the bike had an '86 1300cc motor put in it 11K ago.. And..... the serial number of the motor matches the vin on the tag, and on the '83 title. It's an inigma... conundrum.....head scratcher... :confused24: :think: :group cheers:

jack, how many bikes , does it take to make a man feel "complete"?

lol

:whistling:

just jt

Never have enough JT. As long as I keep running into VR's cheap I'll keep buying them. :mo money:

Actually they must have done more than that. This one has factory cruise on it like an '84. Missed that the first time around. I also haven't been able to get to the frame Vin yet to check to see if it matches the decal. The place that originally sold the bike to the PO used , was a parts salve shop, and after changing to a used bike retailer in the 80's, selling out to a new owner in early 2000, they finally went out of business last year.... They did a great job mounting my Avon for me the last time around... Anyway, They could have taken an '83 title, the side decal strut, lic. plate, put it on an '84 bike. The frame vin number stamped on the front fork tube will tell the tale...

The PO kept very good maintence records, and he first bought it in 1991 with 13K on the odo, and to muddy the waters even further the bike had an '86 1300cc motor put in it 11K ago.. And..... the serial number of the motor matches the vin on the tag, and on the '83 title. It's an inigma... conundrum.....head scratcher... :confused24: :think: :group cheers:

Never have enough JT. As long as I keep running into VR's cheap I'll keep buying them. :mo money:

He needs enough first gens. in order to be able to trade them all in for a good used 2nd gen. :whistling:

jack, this bike almost sounds like a "johnny cash Cadillac".

lol

i'm very interested in what you find on the fork vin #.

keep us posted.

oh! and congrats on acquiring a new to you "BIRTHDAY SCOOT!"

just jt

It would have to be a rebuilt/salvage title, no way an 86 motor could match the VIN on the frame. My "built-on" tag on the frame says 10/83 and serial # is 41R---1262. According to yours, they must have built a LOT of bikes in October!!!! I would be careful with it, hopefully it's not a bad title.

Dan

It would have to be a rebuilt/salvage title, no way an 86 motor could match the VIN on the frame. My "built-on" tag on the frame says 10/83 and serial # is 41R---1262. According to yours, they must have built a LOT of bikes in October!!!! I would be careful with it, hopefully it's not a bad title.

Dan

Actually a new crated motor from yama mama doesn't have anything stamped on the serial number plate. The stamping looks factory, but ya never know... It may have been an NOS. I'm still pokin' around. OK I just went out and stood on my head to see the vin on the fork. DA000316... Matches the title and decal... and motor. I thought at first that they may have taken a bunch of stuff off an '84 and put it on a red '83 standard, but all the labels say Royale. Now I'm confoosed. Going to go take a nap.... :draming:

He needs enough first gens. in order to be able to trade them all in for a good used 2nd gen. :whistling:

If you talked real hard and did a super sales job I might... read might.... trade one 1st for a two gen, but only if they kicked in a little green to sweeten the deal.... :rotf::mo money:

Actually a new crated motor from yama mama doesn't have anything stamped on the serial number plate. The stamping looks factory, but ya never know...

Yup, seen that on ebay before............ A N.O.S. engine, without a serial # stamped in.

Just asking, but did they do anything different for bikes sold outside the USA? I know with cars they do cars that have different goodies and such for overseas sales.

Just a thought.

Margaret

Thought about that myself Margaret, but this speedo is in MPH, and I think everyone else is KPH???

Condor, you bought ANOTHER bike? That new office/barn you built - you have to be making additions to it now -what's that, (5) 1st Gen's???????? Remember, you need two more to be able to ride a different one each day - whatcha waiting for??:confused24::rotf::rotf:

Condor, you bought ANOTHER bike? That new office/barn you built - you have to be making additions to it now -what's that, (5) 1st Gen's???????? Remember, you need two more to be able to ride a different one each day - whatcha waiting for??:confused24::rotf::rotf:

Yeah it was cheap. I can't pass up a deal.... :mo money:

It is probably an 84 Model, mfr in 83, just like the automakers do. As the dash is not an 83 type, wrong layout.

Yes the dash went to the stopwatch vs clock, CMS went to gear indication in 84....the choke lever changed from under switches to alongside the grip like yours. It sure looks like an 84.

You mentioned the engine is a 1300 yet its number matches the bike's VIN....are you sure its a 1300 or has 1300 badging on the covers? I think you'll find the engine displacement cast into crankcase ...I remember it being somewhere.

It is probably an 84 Model, mfr in 83, just like the automakers do. As the dash is not an 83 type, wrong layout.

Thats what I was gonna say, just like my 84. I do like the accesories, tho. Good buy, Jack

Good luck with the wiring repairs.

Dan

You mentioned the engine is a 1300 yet its number matches the bike's VIN....are you sure its a 1300 or has 1300 badging on the covers? I think you'll find the engine displacement cast into crankcase ...I remember it being somewhere.

The only way to tell if it is actually a 1300cc would be to take a look at the clutch, although even that isn't always 100%. I thought about the possibility of the dealer pulling a fast one and swapping out the covers and telling the guy they had installed a 1300. Except... according to the son the bike had developed a bad 2nd gear, and that was the reason they went with the '86 1300....